Getting rid of the "Go up one” Rule

ISNIFFPROPANE

Name: Null-11 Captain Ordo Skirata

Suggestion: Removing the Rule saying that you can't say "Go Up One" during promotions in debrief.

Implementation: This rule is honestly just a meme on the server... like I don't see who or what it benefits. Sure it's to try to get people to be more immersive or whatever, but people just go around it anyways to make a joke out of it like "Private Stretchy Balls, go up one to PFC". It also just pains me to see some nervous new officer going up to promote some private, and saying "Go up one" because they forgot and then they get arrested. Like I just find this rule really pointless and negative if anything so that's why I'm making the suggestion. 

Lore: N/A

Workshop content if applicable: N/A
(If no workshop content, suggest a developer or put "Require Development")

Edited by ISNIFFPROPANE
  • Management
Management

-1 The Stretchyballs thing isn't going around the rule...

ezgif-4-6f1b17d05a.gif

i am literally captain tukk

• Management
Management
1 minute ago, ISNIFFPROPANE said:

The strechyballs wasn't the part I meant was going around it 

It was the "Go up one... to PFC"

The phrase go up one isn't what is banned it's just saying 'Go up one' and nothing else. They can simply say 'Name' you may go up one to 'Next Rank'

ezgif-4-6f1b17d05a.gif

Just now, Marvel said:

The phrase go up one isn't what is banned it's just saying 'Go up one' and nothing else. They can simply say 'Name' you may go up one to 'Next Rank'

I know i'm trying to say people just say Go up one to pfc anyways

hows that any different than just saying go up one

Just now, ISNIFFPROPANE said:

It also just pains me to see some nervous new officer going up to promote some private, and saying "Go up one" because they forgot and then they get arrested

Okay but. If you're going to promote someone you need to know what rank they're going to.
I can't really imagine a scenario where this comes in to play.
"Oh uh....Hey Jake go up one...I forgot the rank but go up one, youve been doing good"

If you're intent on promoting someone, you should know what rank they're going to prior to promoting them, yes people can forget but if they're an officer that probably means they've been in a battalion for some time to go through the ranks, at the very least remember 'some'. Plus if you don't know what rank they're going to (i.e forgetting) you shouldn't be promoting inthe first place. 

+1 however since i personally wouldn't mind if this existed or not. I can't neutral so lul. 

Banned

+1 Its such a dumb fucking rule

Sanchez trembles at the mention of my name.

• Retired Founder

Honestly it should be required to give atleast a mini-Technodad related speech when someone is being promoted to any NCO+ rank.

I wouldn't put too much effort into ranks under NCOs but if you're promoting someone to LT. and you can barely comprehend the ability to say a sentence or two as their CO just shows your lack of motivation and resonates throughout your officer branch.

Keep promotion speeches under 3-5 minutes, but if you can't formulate atleast a sentence I don't think you should even be promoting people 🦞

• Agree 4
  • Winner 8

z5dGuiK.gif

1 minute ago, Ron said:

Honestly it should be required to give atleast a mini-Technodad related speech when someone is being promoted to any NCO+ rank.

I wouldn't put too much effort into ranks under NCOs but if you're promoting someone to LT. and you can barely comprehend the ability to say a sentence or two as their CO just shows your lack of motivation and resonates throughout your officer branch.

Keep promotion speeches under 3-5 minutes, but if you can't formulate atleast a sentence I don't think you should even be promoting people 🦞

I agree with this, but maybe with Officer promos since those are like fairly big promotions... There are so many NCOs that I personally feel like that it would get repetitive quickly "You got your promotion requirements, go to (insert rank here) when officer promotions actually got battalion high command recognition.

• Agree 1

+1 Figure out the ranking structure, if you're promoting you should be able to say the rank and pending on what rank give a reason for the promotion, it isn't that hard but common sense isn't so common anymore.

Image result for hell or high water jeff bridges

Choose your place, hell or high water, there is no in between.

-1 Promotions shouldn't be something that is a simple "Go up one". However like ron said 3-5 minutes or less speech about the promotion and why he should be promoted then saying "Go up one to ( Rank ) would be fine at the end. Sadly no one does that they make it simple and quick when that isn't how it should be.

22 minutes ago, Agent said:

-1 Promotions shouldn't be something that is a simple "Go up one". However like ron said 3-5 minutes or less speech about the promotion and why he should be promoted then saying "Go up one to ( Rank ) would be fine at the end. Sadly no one does that they make it simple and quick when that isn't how it should be.

I’ve never seen anyone give a 3 minute speech on why an enlisted is getting promoted. Your own Delta promos were like 30 seconds so I don’t know what you’re on about.

7 hours ago, Ron said:

I agree with this as well. Even though I don't have anything to say most of the time, I will put effort and customisation when I promote my men, mainly because I work with them and I know who respects me the most on the server and which people look up to me more than others (hint: it's 90% of the time, my men) 

So I say

+1 to removing it for enlisted because it isn't hard to get from PVT-CPL

I'm on the bar about NCOs because yes they work hard, but some people don't care and would rather say "go up one"

-1 to removing it for officers because they worked for that position for a while to get it

Edited by Willyworm1

spacer.png

Master of the Order Mace Windu (Current) | DU VET Sergeant (Current) | Mas Amedda (Former) | 327th Battalion Commander Bly (Former)

Honestly, go up one is sort of lazy. It's also failrp. Even for enlisted men, the effort of knowing what rank they go to isn't that hard.

Edit: There's also a reminder on the stand, new officers can read that :)

Edited by Foxey
  • Retired Founder

Leaning towards -1 (May Update Later)

If you can't give a little bit of effort into a promotion, you should not be promoting. It shows how you are as an officer. Lazy.
Show your soldiers a bit of interest.

While I do believe lower ranks below SGT don't deserve that much effort, anything above does.

Good luck out there boyos.

• Agree 7

-1 -- I have to agree with Joah, Agent, and Foxey. The phrase "go up one" shows laziness, and for an officer promoting, no matter what rank, there should always be effort put in. Because it also shows the player who is getting promoted that you care about them/you noticed the work they put in. Yeah it might not be hard for enlisted to get promoted, but some may not know that, and some may be putting in a lot of work. Everyone who is getting promoted deserves the effort, because it goes a long way. And if an officer is unable to do it properly they shouldn't be doing it, and they should be working with other officers in the battalion to be able to stand on the stand and promote properly.

• Agree 3

I originally wanted to go +1 then @Joah's post made me change my mind.      Officers are made officers for a reason.   They care about their battalion and do a lot of work for them.   We're not meant to be lazy.   I know people are used to saying it and I've honestly been almost arrested twice while I've been an officer in 212th from my shitty accent. 

Edited by Zensras

spacer.png
Every time I wander into an argument on the forums.

-1 I prefer people to state the rank they're getting put up to.  As well as giving a brief reasoning as to why that person is getting promoted.  

• Winner 1

People Who Put Their Former Ranks In Their Signature Are Idiots!

spacer.png
Community Liaison - Discord Boo Radley#2719

Feel free to message me if you're having any issues!

13 hours ago, Carvis said:

+1

The rule was implemented because of some people getting mad about not getting a special call out during DB. Dumb rule.

False. I'm the one that made the suggestion post, I was getting annoyed with watching so many officers give low-quality promotions to people that really deserved them so I made a post about it. The rule was implemented because many others agreed with my opinion.

Also -1

Edited by Fizzik
  • Agree 1
  • Winner 1

Rule-maker and rule-breaker.

• Management
Management

Why even have public promotions if all you're gonna say is go up one? 

• Agree 1

ezgif-4-6f1b17d05a.gif

+1 unless its a Officer+ promo, they deserve some respect

Current:

• CT Private Reggin
  • Youngling Billber (3 Years running)

Former:

• VET Admin
  • 187th Battalion Commander
  • 187th Executive Officer
  • 212th Ghost Company Lead
  • 212th ARC Lead
  • 212th Sharp Shooter Lead
  • 212th Commander Reed
  • Republic Medic Senior Officer
  • 41st Green Company
  • 41st 2ndLt
  • Ion Team Ras
  • RANCOR 2ndLt
  • 91st Captain
  • Shock 2ndLt

-1 GIVE EFFORT WHEN PROMOTING PEOPLE

The person clearly did something good for existing, even a simple "You did well battling on the frontlines today." is a perfect addition to a promotion for someone who may be a PVT or PFC, but the reason for promotion should be recognized, such as a SFC going on a recruitment spree, that should also be recognized, saying "go up one" is just someone generally being lazy, no clone in the clone wars would also just say something like "go up one".

(also the general fact that you should know the rank incase the person doesn't, SAY THE RANK TOO)

• Agree 2
  • Winner 1

bolt

I think the rules can stay HOWEVER @Marvel @Sanchez Resident

I said in one debrief “go up one to PFC” 

the next one I say “go up one to SPC” and I’m arrested the rule needs to be specified more than a text screen saying don’t say it. 

I think what I said is fine however when shock say that the whole phrase is illegal to say and to get arrested for it is dumb. I’m saying the rank as well so what’s the big deal 

+1 to change the rule to make it more clear 

-1 to remove it as a whole 

Current: Kevin Colt leader of the Colt Crime Syndicate | Alpha-69 Dennis 

Former: BCMD Doom x3| Havoc Squad Brimstone x3 | Base Ops CMD | Delta Jedi | BCMD Colt | BCMD Bacara | Specialized Regimental Commander x2 | First Count Dooku and creator of the CIS | Rear Admiral Orson Krennic 

-1 Just saying "go up one" obviously is just lazy as your barley giving any effort to give the promotions, and shows you don't give a damn for your troopers. Put actual and some effort into it alright. While I do agree that its unnecessary for an Officer to be giving a speech for an enlisted promotion, as it really is not hard to get promoted within enlisted ranks, at least say what rank they're going up to. I do agree and like what @Ron and a few others had said, as those would be great. It isn't that hard guys. 

• Retired Founder

Yes it is, when you're promoted in the military, your CO. Does not state.

"Hey, good job out there, go up one buddy- pat on the back" - Unless you're a lowly private in which some cases, they still get some small talking to.

A CO will perform an actual ceremony or "mini ceremony" with family around to see their family member progress in life.

Usually in the military based off numerous videos you can use as sources.
Enlisted - Usually takes 20 seconds - 1 minute to promote.
SGT+ - Usually has a celebration in regards to this. About 2-5 minutes.
Cpt+ Usually takes about.. Roughly 10-20 minutes of discussion and a major celebration after.

Your actions as an officer not only gain you respect showing your soldiers this type of appreciation but it also reflects on your character. In my private debrief's I'd make sure to tell them why they got promoted and would reflect on their hard-work to make them feel valued. Saying "Go up 1" is probably one of the most disrespectful and lazy traits of being an officer. It shows you have no care to tell your soldier that you give a single ounce of a fuck of them and demoralizes the rank.

Obviously i'm not saying to take 3-20000000 minutes to promote someone. Just put some effort in lad. Lmfao.

Rather than being cognitivley sarcastic as well, just make your statement clear. No need to be an asshole by stating "Apparently". Just say it how it is. You don't believe officers are lazy based off their promotions and how they do it. I whole heartily disagree. I've been in the SWRP Community Since the first month of its creation in Garry's Mod and can tell you it's easy to spot the difference between an officer that his troopers or her troopers will follow because of their respect and commitment. Paperwork / doing docs does not make you a good officer. At the end of the day, the people you lead look to you, and if you can shine a good battalion and create good relationships and everyone is able to smile and be immersed in a role play server that Officer is top tier. Not just "doing duties because I have to". That's a parent to child mentality. 

Good luck out their officers. Make a difference in someone's life. Be a leader, not a "I have to" guy.

5 hours ago, Jax said:

+1 Apparently the difference between "go up one" and "move to [rank]" is the center core tenet holding the officer corps together and separating the lazy from the hard working and respectful.

• Funny 2
  • Winner 3

If you barely have the time to come up with something to make your promotions even the slightest bit different from what has become the norm, I suggest that you find someone else to do them for you.

Promotions should be a special thing for all troopers. A sense of pride and accomplishment becomes sort of jaded when all I hear is "Go up one, Go up to..., Go up one to..., Go to..." 

Need some ideas?

Private Username, you've done an excellent job today befitting of a [Battalion] trooper. You've proven yourself worthy of the rank of [Rank] within the battalion. Congratulations.

• Agree 1

Hudson, The Helmetless. Formerly Of:
41st Elite Corps & Green Company, Coruscant Guard, 327th Star Corps, Galactic Marines, Special Operations, 187th Legion, Defense and Recon Regimental Commander, 212th Attack Battalion, RANCOR, and for Jedi General Quinlan Vos and Jedi Advisor Shaak Ti.

Veteran Admin

+1

• 2 weeks later...