The most important Enquiry

Question:
Why is the leadership team so set against jokes around IPs?

Comments/Concerns:
This is a serious question because it seems like a bizarre thing for all of leadership to be so set on punishing so very harshly. As far as I can tell it has almost 0 community support. It just seems a weird place to draw such an extreme line. It seems to be super sudden and out of no where change. I think it may help the community or at least myself if we understood why leadership is so heavily opposed to this specific joke.

Staff Member you're asking:
Any of leadership so director+

Additional info:
This isn't like me calling it stupid or complaining I am genuinely curious. And maybe it can help some people make sense of why all the action is so extreme

• Agree 3
  • Winner 1
  • Informative 1

The most fuckable person on Synergy Star Wars RP~

Yeah I'm curious about this too, obviously we want to make sure members of the community can feel safe and not threatened by people claiming to have their IP or anything along those lines, but I don't fully understand why any and all jokes involving IPs have suddenly become so harshly punished. I think this is a weird hill to die on and could very well be evaluated in a case by case basis rather than it being a 2 strike system into a community ban.

• Agree 4

Former:

Jedi Youngling

The Kanye West of Synergy

I wasn't suspended or punished because I made a port threat and the member of the community thought I was gonna do anything, I am willing to bet my car, my house, my job, my phone, and much more that the person or ANYONE that is "scared" of an IP will be using this as an easy way to fuck over other members of the community, pushing this rule will only make the server have this as a taboo idea, and more issues will come as a result. I can assure you the person who reported me simply said Bacta just said an IP JOKE, and it resulted in a suspension from staff.

IP Jokes will continue to be made because it's such a microscopic view on it, this is doing the opposite of limiting the jokes, the efforts being made by the people pushing this rule could be used on other situations on the server that need help.

I was suspended from SA, a position that I have held and maintained being a staff member for almost a year now, possible removal from GMM, and I have been dedicated countless hours to helping Synergy, I will continue to help synergy even after i get banned for the 5th time for a joke, after denial from director, ATK REG, i will still be here, (unless this post results in my community unban)

• Agree 12
  • Winner 1
  • Optimistic 1

220px-Trump_The_Art_of_The_Deal2C_cover2

14 minutes ago, Pog said:

I think this is a weird hill to die on and could very well be evaluated in a case by case basis rather than it being a 2 strike system into a community ban.

This is pretty unprecedented behaviour too. I don't think anything else on the server holds such a high punishment

Community bans seem to be relegated to those who cause extreme issues within the community, with almost all of them having resounding overall support from everyone around. However this seems like a big jump the community does not support. Which is weird you would ban in the name of the community against most the communities wishes

Honestly this way of tackling this "issue" seems to only be promoting the issue. You're just making them more popular because no one agrees with such weird rulings.

Edited by Comics
  • Agree 3

The most fuckable person on Synergy Star Wars RP~

At this point, the joke is only being used to make fun of the punishments being handed out. The joke has entirely derailed from "It's an IP, laugh!" to "You can get in trouble for making this joke, laugh!". People are just making fun of the extremely harsh punishments being handed out. I'm fairly confident that this joke would've died out into obscurity by now, like all do, if these extreme and very harsh punishments weren't being handed out for it. 

I completely understand the idea of why these are being taken seriously, but these punishments are far too extreme for mere jokes. It's just ridiculous to think that someone that has been around on the server for YEARS can be completely fucking exiled from this community for making such a stupid joke.

The fact that someone making an IP joke can be banned from the server for the same length as a ban for racism, homophobia, etc. is just appalling. I'd love to hear what the thought process is for handing out punishments as harsh as this for something so tame.

• Agree 7
  • Friendly 1

GMD HA / Guild LT / Dev. Assistant Mavelle 
unknown-8.png

When I can't post someones IP online and commit a federal offense

293.jpg

/j

Fr tho, we just doing some serious level tom-foolery when we make jokes like that

I deadass laughed for 8 minutes straight after comics posted the "Whataburger Appreciation post"

High staff making a joke on the same level of offense as a literal community ban is kinda silly, Being put on the same list as people who actually commited crimes, for just a joke. Mad crazy but wtv

Edited by Whataburger
Bacta Mazen Zwin, Please take a online writing class.
  • Agree 2
  • Optimistic 1

Whataburger

Why is my reputation so low?

• Founder
Founder

I'll try my best to answer the concerns and questions of everyone reading this, as I was not personally present when establishing the punishments or their severity. Although, I do agree with most of the punishment guidelines and hopefully I can explain why.

Lets start off with the elephant in the room. Do I agree that someone should be punished harshly for a joke, absolutely not. Do I agree that punishment should follow someone for potentially releasing private information without consent or prior knowledge, yes wholeheartedly.

When we have so many people in our community it will always be impossible to fully understand every persons circumstances or walks of life. Releasing personal information like an IP can be seen as a joke to most of us which is great in my opinion. But for the few, this can be considered a real threat for their safety or the safety of their loved ones. This is on par with releasing someone's street address to the knowledge of many, which is a blatant lack of respect and completely unacceptable in this community.

Moving on. Can we as a team expect people to understand what a real IP is, unfortunately not. I'd love to believe we live in a world where everyone has the wisdom to know simple information as to what is real and what isn't, but unfortunately we don't. There are many things that can be considered to avoid conflict or punishment. Joking with your friends in DM's is a great way to keep things private and prevent it leaking in to something that could cause others concern.

Racism, Peadophilia, death threats, Doxx'ing, harassment and advertisement. These are a list of things that are 100% unacceptable within our community and on any platform Synergy performs on. Joking about an IP isn't something I should consider adding to the list above, but it can fall under Doxx'ing, harassment, and advertisement in (most) situations. Therefore I believe a warning first is completely fair when addressing each case. The warning in this instance I feel is heavy handed as it starts with a one week ban. I'd personally prefer a verbal warning first, a ban second, and removal from the community third. After hearing general concerns from the community and my own personal opinions I believe a slight adjust to the ruling is in order. As most of you are aware, this will require further discussion with Leadership as a whole.

• Agree 1
  • Winner 1
1 hour ago, Fizzik said:

I just wanna know what a port joke is :(. Can I get an example?

All Swedish battleships have a bar codes printed on the hull.

When the ships return to port, it helps them Scandinavian.

• Funny 7
  • Informative 1

What? Were you expecting some colourful thing denoting my past achievements?

Well tough luck, even if I did it would be just 3 things - Bacara, SPEC REG, Old HA.

Once a Marine, Always a Marine... Always forward, never back...

Best part is, it was a port joke, not an IP. Ports literally hold 0 information that would help someone track you down….. 

It’s like saying “ I know the mail service that send you mail every day”.

But people don’t know basic internet things like this so yeah I can see why it can become a problem. I don’t think the punishment was fair.

spacer.png

Forum Admin
6 hours ago, Jad said:

I'll try my best to answer the concerns and questions of everyone reading this, as I was not personally present when establishing the punishments or their severity. Although, I do agree with most of the punishment guidelines and hopefully I can explain why.

Lets start off with the elephant in the room. Do I agree that someone should be punished harshly for a joke, absolutely not. Do I agree that punishment should follow someone for potentially releasing private information without consent or prior knowledge, yes wholeheartedly.

When we have so many people in our community it will always be impossible to fully understand every persons circumstances or walks of life. Releasing personal information like an IP can be seen as a joke to most of us which is great in my opinion. But for the few, this can be considered a real threat for their safety or the safety of their loved ones. This is on par with releasing someone's street address to the knowledge of many, which is a blatant lack of respect and completely unacceptable in this community.

Moving on. Can we as a team expect people to understand what a real IP is, unfortunately not. I'd love to believe we live in a world where everyone has the wisdom to know simple information as to what is real and what isn't, but unfortunately we don't. There are many things that can be considered to avoid conflict or punishment. Joking with your friends in DM's is a great way to keep things private and prevent it leaking in to something that could cause others concern.

Racism, Peadophilia, death threats, Doxx'ing, harassment and advertisement. These are a list of things that are 100% unacceptable within our community and on any platform Synergy performs on.

Just because I am curious, in this hypothetical scenario, would IP jokes in a private TS channel be protected in the same way as homophobia and racism is?

• Funny 2
  • Winner 4
  • Optimistic 1

🎀  𝙵𝚊𝚛𝚝 𝚂𝚖𝚎𝚕𝚕𝚊  🎀
<3

• Founder
Founder
4 hours ago, Guac said:

Just because I am curious, in this hypothetical scenario, would IP jokes in a private TS channel be protected in the same way as homophobia and racism is?

Can I say it's allowed? No. Just be smart and make sure you understand your surroundings, I can't really expect every channel to be monitored 100%. Think about it like this, If you were to ask me if racism is okay even in private I'd say absolutely not.

• Winner 1
  • Informative 1
Forum Admin

Question Answered

🎀  𝙵𝚊𝚛𝚝 𝚂𝚖𝚎𝚕𝚕𝚊  🎀
<3