VR Mod Suggestion

Name: Atlex | Tup

RP Rank: 1stLT

Suggestion: Add VR Mod to the server. This might be able to bring back old players who want a new experience with the server and just Gmod in general. Also, given that there aren't too many servers with VR especially SW servers (at least non that I've seen), this would also attract new players and those with VR headsets. You may be wondering, how would this affect the current players'/server's performance. Well from what I've seen, it doesn't. After reading and testing, it seems like it would only affect clients if their hardware can't handle it but in terms of serverside, it doesn't seem to affect it. The installation is easy and it's just like downloading any other server packs. Not only would this mod make the experience better for returning or new players but it would make the current players' experience even better. Just imagine seeing a player move their arms around; it would really make the RP much more immersive.

Implementation: There are two options. The first is automatic which allows you to just add the mod into the server files. The other option is to implement it manually which is a longer process --> 

Quickstart guide

1. Subscribe to this workshop addon
2. Install the module (read the beginning of the workshop description)
3. Right click gmod in your steam library, go to properties and disable "SteamVR Desktop Game Theater"
4. Temporarily disable all other addons to avoid conflicts.
5. Temporarily remove any GMod launch options
6. Enter a map using the Sandbox gamemode in single player
7. Open the VRMod menu by entering "vrmod" into the console, and press the "Start VR" button
8. Read the rest of this workshop description for any problems you may have encountered. 

Lore: N/A

Workshop content if applicable: https://steamcommunity.com/workshop/filedetails/?id=1678408548
(If no workshop content, suggest a developer or put "Require Development")

Edited by Atlex
  • Agree 1
  • Winner 1

Current: Obi-Wan Kenobi (x2), Guardian Master (x2)
Ex: Rex, Tup, Kix, and Appo, Bultar Swan

spacer.png

+1,  As a casual VR user. (I'm literally typing this in VR.) I would absolutely love this if this could fully work!

Current: Rancor Panda | Honorary Consular

spacer.png
Ex: Delta 38, Kom'rk Skirata x2, Mereel Skirata, A'den Skirata, Omega Squad Fi (XO), Foxtrot MDMK, 327th 1stLT, 501st 1stLT, 212th MAJ, 41st WO, Alpha ARC 22 WO 'Aven', 212th 1stLT Lycanthrope

• Management

+1

I am gonna be doing some dope ass shit with dualies instead of holding them like an old man walker.

Hopefully it’s not too stressful on the server. This by no means should be a priority but it would be dope

Edited by Marvel

ezgif-4-6f1b17d05a.gif

i am literally captain tukk

After looking into the workshop. It says that the app won’t work on PvP servers, and since this is a PvP/PvE/RP server it could cause issues. 

I think that once more updating and fixing up the modder does to the mod, then I think this could be discussed again. 

Former: Liaison

This addon attempts to make stock gmod sandbox work in VR. The addon (and module) are unfinished, so don't go in expecting a polished experience. You should not add this to PVP servers or where cheating or stability is a concern. There will be bugs and bad performance, maybe even crashes. It may not even work at all for some people.

• Agree 1
  • Informative 1

52946061-6923-4AFC-AEBA-9E28ED2BA75D-5.g

23 minutes ago, Bbstine said:

Imagine the RC Shotgun with this bad boy :monkaS:

This terrifies me. Even though this would be sick as fuck, I’m afraid that the performance on the server won’t be great, as it’s already hard to run gmod multiplayer on a large server like ours above 30 fps on most PCs.

Edited by Thunder

Zuko Fanboy

spacer.png

+1 boutta 360 noscope a mf in a VR in GMOD

also gives use to my VR headset thats just sitting in my room collecting dust to the lack of VR games that are good

Edited by Piff

“I’m not toxic, It’s just hard not to treat you like an idiot” ~ Logic

spacer.png

Yo bet I can smack Keto’s ass now +1 

Edited by KillJoy
  • Funny 1

Current: Rancor Colt
Past spots: 501st XO, 501st CMD, 501st WO Appo, TC Hardcase, 332nd office, ATK Reg Purge, Keller Unit Vinnie, General Luminara, 41st GCO ARCL Draa, 3rd Crosshair on the Server, Hunter, Sith Marauder  TRO, GMM, VA x3. CIS Tac Droid, Guild Cabinet Member

The person who made a treaty with the sith as a clone 

7 hours ago, Pythin said:

After looking into the workshop. It says that the app won’t work on PvP servers, and since this is a PvP server it could cause issues. 

I think that once more updating and fixing up the modder does to the mod, then I think this could be discussed again. 

After looking at some videos, here is a link to one that uses some form of PvP and given that we aren't an PvP server and are an RP server, I think we'll be fine. Link: 

• Informative 1

spacer.png

1 hour ago, Luther said:

-1 I think this would cause a lot of stress on the server and don't really see this as something that would be useful

I talk about this on the suggestion. It wouldn't really affect the server and the only thing it could lag would be the client if the computer specs aren't good but then again that's normal for any sort of game not just VR. As for usefulness, yeah, I see your point that it wouldn't change much for people that don't have a VR set but it would bring out new experiences and might make RP situations better as people don't only talk with their voices but they also talk with their hands through body language.

Edited by Atlex
  • Informative 1

spacer.png

6 hours ago, Thunder said:

This terrifies me. Even though this would be sick as fuck, I’m afraid that the performance on the server won’t be great, as it’s already hard to run gmod multiplayer on a large server like ours above 30 fps on most PCs.

As said on the suggestion itself, the only thing this server might lag is the client side. This would only happen if the client's PC specs aren't great but then again, we deal with that in not only VR games but also normal games.

• Informative 1

spacer.png

Listen, I would absolutely love this, but it wont work. The TFA weapons are super super buggy and lightsabers just dont work with it. 
as big a fan as I am of VR, im gonna have to -1 this due to these issues.

UNLESS, the wonderful dev team think they can make this work, then id be happy to reconsider

• Founder
Founder

I'm going to hit you guys with some sad new unfortunately. There's absolutely 0 chance this can be added to the server as it would cause an immense amount of lag trying to calculate all the movements of the VR user. A VR environment is strenuous enough on systems so when you add an entire populated gmod server to the mix which is in no way shape or form optimized for that sort of movement/behavior shit will lag like crazy. I would imagine 1 single user that is using this addon would be taking up about 30% or even more of the server's CPU usage which when thrown in with all the other mixes of addons on the server would ultimately resolve in a crash every time most likely. 

• Agree 2
  • Pay Respect 2

Unfortunately, this suggestion has been DENIED.

If the same suggestion is submitted again within 60 DAYS of this post it will be automatically denied.

// LOCKED
// MOVED TO [CW] SERVER SUGGESTIONS - DENIED

Denial reasons:
(These are some reasons that your suggestion might get denied for.)

• Not providing sufficient information.
    Ex: Just linking the workshop and not giving us the actual model path you want to use.
  • The addon's size is way too big compared to its content(s).
    Ex: 35MB for one model.
  • Majority negative feedback.
  • Bad optimization and/or causes bad performance on the server.
  • Having multiple suggestions within one thread.
  • Bothering leadership/development team regarding a suggestion.
  • Suggesting a previously denied suggestion within 60 days of denial.