Add proning

Piff

Name: Piff

RP Rank: SGM

Suggestion: Adding Prone into the server

Implementation: Proning is something that i think would be nice to have on the server, it would help with a lot of things such as concealment and other RP related things inside of crouching, so for example, if you're a sniper, you'll be able to prone instead of crouching and it would make it harder for you to stand out than you usually would by just crouching.

Lore: N/A

Workshop content if applicable: Currently there is a few addons for proning
https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1100368137
It seems a bit buggy which you know, so i would say custom would be nice, but that would have to looked at by founders.
(If no workshop content, suggest a developer or put "Require Development")

“I’m not toxic, It’s just hard not to treat you like an idiot” ~ Logic

spacer.png

Now, I know a lot of people are gonna -1 this as we had proning before, but people would use it in stupid situations so it got removed. If we make rules on when it can or can't be used, proning was wonderful for scouting, and Im sure 41st and the like would love to have it. Plus, immersion is dope
+1.

If you use the RC Shotgun you are automatically cringe.

+1

Current:   

Former:  Veteran Administrator 212th CPT Alpha-66 | Wilhuff Tarkin | Nils Tenant | Dao   Naval Chief of Engineering | 501st XO | 501st TCC 501st Echo | 501st Hardcase 501st Heavy Lead

While i think this is a good idea, lightsabers will never hit unless you have like, one specific move that hit in the floor that only happens to be in one skill tree or something, its a bit of a nightmare for melee users.  (assuming we're still using king david animations)

Had this before, however it broke sometimes where people (On their side) would be standing up, but others would just see a sprinting speed prone person, or someone would get stuck because their hitbox somehow is in the floor so the game wouldn't allow them to stand up.  (Would need admin assistance) 

Its a good idea in theory, the practice however tends to be messy at best, however as mentioned, if we dont use kind david swings anymore then i can see this being sorta alright.  (To be clear i am not against it, just because we had it before, it can be fun, however i was never aware if there were any technical issues in the code that came from prone so i'm only speaking from gameplay perspective). 

It takes about 2.5 seconds to stand up so if you get caught be an enemy sniper, you're fucked if you cant tank shots.

Edited by Scribbles
  • Informative 3

Just repeating the past at this point.

We added proning as sort of a stress test and how it'd perform on the server; it didn't do well.

It was buggy and would constantly get people caught in a endless cycle of being stuck in prone or not being able to prone at all and also constant client-side issues. People found ways to abuse this addon where they'd crouch and be able to sprint. It had so many issues addon wise that I didn't even get to the rule side yet.

Rule side; we made rules and they didn't work. Think about back then when we had an immense source of administrators who would go around enforcing rules and even they werent enough to prevent glitching, rule breaking, etc. what makes everyone think we can enforce those rules now?

Absolutely not; this suggestion was accepted before and we regretted it.

• Agree 2
  • Informative 2

+1 who needs Jedi anyway. Legit a joke don't kill me. 

• Optimistic 1

Current: Rancor Colt
Past spots: 501st XO, 501st CMD, 501st WO Appo, TC Hardcase, 332nd office, ATK Reg Purge, Keller Unit Vinnie, General Luminara, 41st GCO ARCL Draa, 3rd Crosshair on the Server, Hunter, Sith Marauder  TRO, GMM, VA x3. CIS Tac Droid, Guild Cabinet Member

The person who made a treaty with the sith as a clone 

Forum Admin

-1 after hearing Bbstines statement

🎀  𝙵𝚊𝚛𝚝 𝚂𝚖𝚎𝚕𝚕𝚊  🎀
<3

5 hours ago, Bbstine said:

Just repeating the past at this point.

We added proning as sort of a stress test and how it'd perform on the server; it didn't do well.

It was buggy and would constantly get people caught in a endless cycle of being stuck in prone or not being able to prone at all and also constant client-side issues. People found ways to abuse this addon where they'd crouch and be able to sprint. It had so many issues addon wise that I didn't even get to the rule side yet.

Rule side; we made rules and they didn't work. Think about back then when we had an immense source of administrators who would go around enforcing rules and even they werent enough to prevent glitching, rule breaking, etc. what makes everyone think we can enforce those rules now?

Absolutely not; this suggestion was accepted before and we regretted it.

Thats why i said once again like with all addons that i find that are buggy, i would also pay for something new since i know the current ones are shit and buggy

“I’m not toxic, It’s just hard not to treat you like an idiot” ~ Logic

spacer.png

+1 the directors have learned from the past and if accepted they will FULLY test it (i hope) and make sure there are no problems. Yes someone most definitely will find a way to glitch it (we've been arresting CTs for years and they still find a way to glitch out of the cells on every map) but we can just treat them the same as said CTs or arrest them for map glitching (rules might have to be added/changed for that one)

Plus what taz said just made me want it even more

• Confused 1

the Darman Keller guy

Honestly, I agree that this would be awesome, but I will give you an important scenario: Someone with a Jetpack and a sniper.

It could and probably would end in chaos because of the chances to find a perfect peaking edge where no one can shoot back without a jetpack. With that being said, it all depends on how it it implemented and regulated.

For now this is a +1 but heed the warning

spacer.png

Master of the Order Mace Windu (Current) | DU VET Sergeant (Current) | Mas Amedda (Former) | 327th Battalion Commander Bly (Former)

-1 I remember when we had it before it caused some really bad performance issues.

But I am also thinking about the practicality of this feature and when actually using it would be useful and I can not think of to many situations outside of a sniper using it and hiding.

Whenever I have used prone systems in Gmod it is usually bound with the same key as crouch and unless you play toggle crouch it can really be irritating where it doesn't consistently work by when trying to crouch it prones or trying to stand and those commands and imputs get muddled. My other worry  is all the clipping and traversal issues that can be caused because Gmod isn't really built to naturally prone and a lot of maps havent been built with that feature in mind. 

• 4 months later...
  • 2 months later...