Updated StormFox client (StormFox2)

Arizona

Name: Arizona 

RP Rank: 2ndLT

Suggestion: Look I know this is a split topic with some people really wanting this and wanting to at least try it on the server or some people just not wanting it at all. However, with the new server box and this updated client, I would like to see what can be done to add this. For those who don’t know StormFox is a weather mod that is amazing in general Such as snowstorms, rainstorms, day/night cycle snow also accumulates on the ground and rain has effects on the windows giving it an amazing atmosphere to the server and our events making events 100% more interesting and fun as well as bring a huge amount of new Passive RP opportunities (And the server is kinda lacking that) As well as this being a completely revamped version of the old StormFox made by the same guy. With this being updated recently I hope that in some way this can be implemented as this could bring a TON of new opportunities. 

Implementation: (Not the greatest at knowing how things work server wise on gmod so correct me if im wrong) Just adding this into the server mod pack and making only certain admin ranks be able to use it such as HA+ or a high ranking GM. 

Lore: Weather exists in the star wars universe 

Workshop content if applicable: https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2447774443
(If no workshop content, suggest a developer or put "Require Development")

If you are asking to add or change a job, fill out the following

Add or Change: N/A
(Any job modification requires all this information)

Job:N/A

Slots: N/A

Description:N/A

Model:N/A
(Provide the model string if on server Ex. models/player/synergy/cblake/ls_squad/ls_trp/lstrp.mdl (Get this from the Q menu)

Weapons:N/A
(If you want a modfication to a weapon/saber you must put the weapon string in the suggestion. Ex. tfa_e5 (Get this from the Q menu))

Other: God I hope this works. Also this IS still their beta client but still worth a look. 

Edited by Arizona
adding to other section
4 hours ago, Dinaric said:

While this is a BETA according to you, I did also see a lot of people complaining how it’s not really working.

Are you able to test it out and confirm that it really really works?

Yes I have tested it in single player and it works very well for a beta client. HOWEVER there are some noticeable bugs one that I saw was shadows are a bit weird but I believe that would be fixed in the final version.

4 hours ago, Stockings said:

Did you test this yourself at all?

Yes I spend a good hour or so testing sliders and some features on the client itself. The client still is in beta so one of the bugs I found such as some weird shadows here and there I would assume are going to worked out in the final version.

• Informative 1
4 hours ago, Curious_Beats said:

as far as im aware this works fine, its just really laggy (like a lot of good weather mods). Personally wouldnt be a fan of adding this rn, with the server as it is rn

What do you mean by “with the server as it is rn” the server performance wise as been amazing (from what I have seen and other people I know on the server have said) Plus the client on the server handles the weather effects. So things such as lag caused by the effects would be extremely low. Server box is handling great and the way the new client is made is so that bigger servers can actually use it without worrying about making the game un playable.

Just now, Arizona said:

What do you mean by “with the server as it is rn” the server performance wise as been amazing (from what I have seen and other people I know on the server have said) Plus the client on the server handles the weather effects. So things such as lag caused by the effects would be extremely low. Server box is handling great and the way the new client is made is so that bigger servers can actually use it without worrying about making the game un playable.

i mean my ping and frames are generally pretty aight, but the server framerate can get pretty low at times. There's definitely been a lot more lag on the new box, at least from what ive heard in my friend groups. at this point its just he said she said or whatever, but personally i think it'd be better for server performance if we didnt have a script like this

Goodbye, everyone. 

In my tests I have found that when you put the weather intensity slider all the way up making it rain externally hard is that the client adds really dark shadows around the outside of base. However this is not the case with snow storms.

1 minute ago, Curious_Beats said:

i mean my ping and frames are generally pretty aight, but the server framerate can get pretty low at times. There's definitely been a lot more lag on the new box, at least from what ive heard in my friend groups. at this point its just he said she said or whatever, but personally i think it'd be better for server performance if we didnt have a script like this

Well yes the frame rate gets low the client off loads a lot of the stress from the server box onto the client. 

+1 Ok so i've tested mutiple things with this addon and tested to see if the list of the old bugs are still an issue and it seems like its pretty good

1. Shadows, They finally fixed shadows, there wont be some stuff that looks bright and others that dont, they all seem to half the nighttime effect on them so it looks dark on everything now unless it has a light source that will light up whatever it is, so shadows are finally fixed and so i lighting from what i observed and im using our current map to see if there is any issues with it, I found one minor thing though, which is the grass on endor which not the grass ground itself but the grass that pops out seems to be the same and not affected by day or night so itll look bright

2. Going from night to day, this one has fixed the lag that happens in between the cycle so of course itll lag a little, but not as much as it use to in the stormfox 1, but there is one major issue if you set the weather/time, it will cause lag due to the addon having to adjust the shadows and everything, so it would have to be a cycle that would be switching back and forth by itself, as well, weather, ngl looks shit 

3. Weather itself has been fixed, so back in the older version the weather effects would be seen inside and outside so you would have whatever weather on your screen always, and they finally fixed that, theres fog of course, so the fog looks either shitty or good depending on how you want something to look like at a certain time, So basically at night, the fog makes the map look really dark and like actual nighttime to the point that your flashlight has a use

spacer.png|
Heres how umbara looks with stormfox controllng fog

spacer.png

here is without it

so basically its personal prefrence at the end of the day and at the daytime it has like a greenfog instead of a blue like it normally is so youll prob have to get use to that if you leave the stormfox controls the fog setting on

As well, moving onto the weather on how it looks itself, basically theres a setting that sets a FPS target, depending on what that target is, it makes the weather look a certain way, for the most part i had it look shit somehow when i first tested it, but then it got fixed, i dont think the target FPS does anything to a certain point, but worth keeping an eye on it, looks like normal snow and rain, ultra quality has to be on though i think, forgot to add snow has footprints, but im pretty sure that can be made so it only shows a clients footprintw

4. Wind, this part needs its own section casue its pretty cool, well instead of game masters saying oh no flying or jetpacks cause of bad weather this addon fucking makes it so you literally cant use them or you will die, it will slow you down if you try to go against the wind and if youre flying the wind will mess with how you fly depending on how strong it is

Basically to sum it up, it works wayyyy better than the old version, only thing is that it will cause a slight stutter when changing between night and day, changing weather it does fine and the time changes is the only stutter i found that is noticable, shadows are fine and basically the stutter is currently the only bug i've found that would be major in a way but not really. Also as far as lag goes, the majority of the lag would come from the weather itself, the day and night system seem to cause no drastic lag, so weather should be kept to a low

Forgot to add, the weather will effect any entity including most props 

Edited by Piff
  • Winner 1
  • Informative 2

“I’m not toxic, It’s just hard not to treat you like an idiot” ~ Logic

spacer.png

+1 would be great for event server

Current: Rancor Colt
Past spots: 501st XO, 501st CMD, 501st WO Appo, TC Hardcase, 332nd office, ATK Reg Purge, Keller Unit Vinnie, General Luminara, 41st GCO ARCL Draa, 3rd Crosshair on the Server, Hunter, Sith Marauder  TRO, GMM, VA x3. CIS Tac Droid, Guild Cabinet Member

The person who made a treaty with the sith as a clone 

+1. It'll be better for Day/Night cycles cause Fog Editor and Sky Editor are not the best

Current: Deviant

Former: ITD 21stKU Commander Paladin, TRO | Alpha-66 Captain Muzzle, Wolfpack Commander Warthog/BCMD WolffeParjai SUPO 1stLT Four, Doom's Unit ARFL Commander Cloves, Spec Ops Captain ARFL Paladin, 41stEC HVYL Buzz, TRM, 2x HA

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
  • Retired Founder

Unfortunately, this suggestion has been DENIED.

If the same suggestion is submitted again within 60 DAYS of this post it will be automatically denied.

// LOCKED
// MOVED TO [CW] SERVER SUGGESTIONS - DENIED

Denial reasons:
(These are some reasons that your suggestion might get denied for.)

• Not providing sufficient information.
    Ex: Just linking the workshop and not giving us the actual model path you want to use.
  • The addon's size is way too big compared to its content(s).
    Ex: 35MB for one model.
  • Majority negative feedback.
  • Bad optimization and/or causes bad performance on the server.
  • Having multiple suggestions within one thread.
  • Bothering leadership/development team regarding a suggestion.
  • Suggesting a previously denied suggestion within 60 days of denial.