Commander Deviss- Recovery

Shockpoint

Name: Shockpoint

Who helped (If applicable): Pog, Crimson, Daytona, Bud, Cronis, Mitchell

Event Name: Commander Deviss

Summary of the Event: Deviss had to be rescued by the entirety of Anaxes, losing many men along the way
This is the first of many weekend deployments to come. Please give your true criticism other than "I died too fast" as there will be one every weekend, and you will always get your chance to prove yourself next week

KrMCdFv.png

• Friendly 2

If you use the RC Shotgun you are automatically cringe.

9/10, this event was fucking fantastic. The only problem I had was server performance with the mortars and NPCs; other than that the constant barraging of players with bombs was played very well. One life events with a fantastic gamemaster will always be some of the best events. Good job team!

8/10 i thought it was a good event just think there was too many vehicles and explosions for how many people there was. i also was hearing that people where dying after being no where near anyone and see a rocket just propelled at them. maybe if its indirect mortar fire, land it next to them or something to that effect. 

8/10 

I really enjoyed the event. Had a lot of sections. The rockets firing on us were also cool

Current: Just Some Guy
Former: Senior Admin | TRO x2MAJ | Styles | Rys | CG x3 | Thire  | 21st x3 | Guardian Manager | Alpha-98 Nate | Sith Apprentice | Many more battalions  Serra Keto [9 Months] | TGML [9-10 Months] | TGL | Knight 8

8/10 Lag was handled pretty good on my end. I think the e-web was a bit much in my opinion. Also some people got rocketed when they were on their own. Overall a good event and looking forward to the future ones to come

Notably Known as: Regimental Commander, Battalion Commander Doom, Last Foxtrot Lead Gregor, Boss, Sev, Battalion Commander Wolffe, Boost, Comet, Commander Faie, Charger

Currently: Crosshair & Shaak Ti

spacer.png

10/10 Holy hell was that a good time. Surviving through the whole event and going through the whole time frame of the event was a blast. Yes lag was a thing but there's only so much could be done as the events were unfolding. I had a really good time and hope the upcoming ones are even better.

• Winner 1

"The day I set my flag down, it'll be over my body or over a nation I believe in."

• Retired Founder

There were a few things that I could have seen done better during this event, seeing as you always ask me about events and we talk quite often about criticizms, here they are.

Firstly, the Recon portion.

This portion of the event felt very pointless. We moved a little less than 100 metres from the spawn and were met with an ice wall that we were then told to return to base and wait for the attack battalions to be able to get rid of the ice wall. The entire portion was about pushing through roughly 200-300 droids, that were extremely easy to eliminate and posed no challenge to the point nobody died, to move barely anywhere and did not utilise the function of the recon battalions. The utilisation of the bunkers in the walls were really well done as they added a small level of difference to the normal shooting droids, but again, the 2 bunkers were extremely easy & didn't pose much of a threat or challenge.

Next, the Attack portion.

Whilst waiting for all of the attack battalions to arrive, we were told to return to base and wait, this turned into us having a large amount of time (roughly 30 minutes) of just mucking around until we were ready for them to be briefed with the same information we were already told, even though we were also there. I feel this would have gone smoother by leaving Recon near the icewall, fighting off small amounts of easy driods just to give them something to do during this time and create more immersion within the event.

After one specific trooper was given the ability to burn down the wall of ice, we all had to walk back to where recon had previously left off anyways and there were no droids to fight on the way there, just a pointless walk back, which made no sense at all (see above paragraph). The burning of the ice was done extremely well and the utilisation of the transparency was incredible. After getting rid of the first icewall, we then pushed again for maybe another 90-120 metres to reach another block in the road in which we then were told to move back to the FOB again and wait for Specialized for further briefing.

At this point, it was essentially copy paste of the last instance where we waited to be told the same information again rather than just briefing specialized while giving us something different to do and having them catch up or be air-dropped with an LAAT (which would have been a lot more immersive.)

Next, the Specialized portion.

After the briefing, we once again walked back to where we started from and were instructed to retrieve the dead bodies of the 327th troopers from the floor and carry them back to the FOB. We had players (staff members & jedi) moving these ragdolls and putting them in a cart that was spawned in by Dragon (due to nothing being provided by the Game Masters) which caused immense lag as moving ragdolls doe on Garry's Mod servers, in which the lag was blamed on the amount of players on server and not the ragdolls, which was evident as when the ragdolls & cart were "returned to base" (deleted) the lag subsidised.

Some really cool aspects happened next with the use of mortars lobbing explosives over a cliff side, with a blockade that was impassible by foot. Air support was requested by Commander Wolffe and was instantly denied, only to be told roughly 5 seconds later that an orbital strike was incoming. This effect was really cool as the fireworks show had begun!!

This again, turned into more pushing through large waves of enemies to reach the next objective, a large hangar door. Which opened up to reveal a large turret (AV-7 Vehicle Cannon) with shielded plating. We were instructed not to move in on the hangar, before droids were spawned in there. This caused for a Game Master to fly in using an LAAT to destroy the turret, which turned into the turret and LAAT destroying eachother (Very cool!). Once the turret was destroyed we then entered the hangar to shoot another wave of droids.

Once cleared, we then sat in regimental lines while we waited for SOBDE to load in. Again, during this time there was a lot of nothing happening.

Finally, the SOBDE portion.

This portion begun with SOBDE being instructed to infiltrate multiple rooms inside the hangar area, however due to there being another 30 or so troopers still alive from previous portions of the event, SOBDE were overshadowed and didn't really get to do their thing. A solution was made where droids were spawned at the entrance of the hangar and main forces were told to defend, however this should have happened prior to SOBDE entering the internal rooms so that they didn't get their role stolen. This then continued until Deviss was extracted and then we had to fight our way back to the FOB, because the droids finally realised they could deploy behind us or move into previously occupied space (which they hadn't done for the entire event). These droids were extremely more difficult than other droids that were spawned throughout the event (each droid could survive a close quarters diamond storm.

Overall gripes.

Music Discs - We've spoken many times about leaving music discs and consoles around and this time was no different. Entities such as these cause more lag towards the server, and there were 5+ at a time within the same 20m of eachother throughout the entire event even though I mentioned it multiple times. So much so, that one of your helpers mentioned that they were on disc clean-up duty. Not only does leaving these around cause issues, but music is cool in moderation for largely important portions of an event and gets old very quickly if used throughout the entire event as it loses meaning very quickly.

Ragdolls - As stated above, ragdolls cause all sorts of issues when they're able to move around and you used a HEAP of them. These should be used in moderation to keep the server stabilized for your event.

Storyline - We were instructed that we were to be saving Commander Deviss and K Company during the briefing but weren't really told why until the very end of the event when it was stated that he had hyperspace routes. This to me doesn't make sense that we through the entire G.A.R. at the CIS to save 1 Commander, who had public information (hyperspace routes are public information in the Star Wars universe, trade routes however, are not). We lost roughly 30-50 clones and a few Jedi to be saving 1, which doesn't seem beneficial to the Republic at all. Possible idea for the future, use Marshal Commander Bly, his status would have made more sense and change the type of information he had to something more important such as flight patters, fighter blueprints, etc. Also this information should have been shared to us prior to starting our mission.

Shoot 'em up - In essence, this event was completely based on shooting NPCs, there were barely any roleplay throughout the event and very little mechanics other than watching a game helper do something cool FOR us. Some roleplay opportunities with some locals or an antagonist for us to fight against both would have been very good here to create more depth to the event. Imagine a boss fight where the players had to figure out the mechanics to be able to defeat them properly based around the layout of the hangars that we were in, or like a coded door that we had to decipher. This would have made the event so much better.

One-Life - The event was labelled as a One-Life event, in which if you died then you were to return to main server. The in-character reason for this was that we didn't have the ability to reinforce our troops during the battle and that was why we had to do it the way we did. However, people were allowed to join mid-way through the event battle portions if they weren't there at the start. We waited roughly 20-45 minutes, before briefing between the end of the previous portion and the start of the next where the GM's were constantly asking and being made aware of people joining the server to ensure they were ready to begin. With this happening, there needs to be consistency.

Battalion Specialization - Regiment/Battalion specialities weren't utilized well in this event. Attack's was due to the fact that they are attack and were used as an attacking force, which isn't too much that else can be done other than maybe a splitting force. SOBDE was attempted to be utilized but was overshadowed by the other troopers nearby as there was nothing else for them to do. Recon & Specialized where just used as another attack force pushing front lines and joined together.

Overall, I'd rate this event around a 7/10. It was definitely one of the best events I've seen in a long time, however it could have been done a LOT better.

• Agree 2
  • Winner 2
  • Informative 4