Commander Applications

Zodiac

Name: zodiac/coric

Suggestion:

1st - when voting for a battalion commander, the battalion that the said person is running for should have final say. Example: I run for Rex, 501st should have final say to show if they want me or not.

It doesn't make any sense to me that others that don't really know the said person or how they work internally with the battalion.

2nd - everywhere else if I reach Executive Officer (XO) and the head honco leaves, that should mean I get passed that responsibility, why is it that EVERYONE with rank restriction can apply for a battalion commander spot and its not passed to the XO, again it doesn't make sense to me.

Implementation: i might be dumb, but these things could make applications great again

In most cases, the battalion that you're running for will already speak on the application expressing their opinions.

Now here's the thing, giving the battalion the final say will cause some issues with some player(s) leaving a mark on their heads.

Let's say I am the 501st XO, a Colonel is currently running for the position but I do not think he or she is doing well enough to get this position, so this XO expresses his opinion to the others in the battalion and that alters the final decision leaving the Directors no choice but to deny the application. Also, this will remove some powers the Directors, Palpatine, Marshal Commanders, etc will have on this decision making progress. If all these people agreed on having this person be Rex, but the 501st isn't for it they shouldn't be denied the position; that's a bit silly. This leaves too much power on the battalion and could result in them never having a BCMD at one point.

I do believe the battalion that you go for should overall like you and think you're a good leader, but I feel that isn't needed.

Now here's the case with the second option, in some battalions it is already like that, and putting restrictions on how battalions run their own hierarchy would kind of skull fuck their freedom. The previous BCMD should've already chosen someone they believe deserve this position, but in some cases maybe that person just isn't right for the whole deal right? Maybe some Colonel would be a better leader and the XO is more of a follower. Again, this would completely eliminate interviews for positions and would most likely result in someone getting the position that they don't deserve.

I am going to drop an example that might never happen, but who fucking knows.

I am Rex, I choose my best friend that just joined the battalion to become my XO because I know I'll be leaving soon and I want my friend in power just in case I come back.

Again, this might not ever happen, but why leave it to chance?

I am confident in what we have now is sufficient enough and we should keep it that way.

TLDR; no -1

i am aware i get sidetracked often so if you're reading this and was like wtf is happening thats why.

• Agree 2

Shouldn't this be in the server suggestions instead of the forum suggestions? Hmm thats debatable but whatever.

Honestly I see where you are going with this but disagree a lot. My first reason is that there might be some people too scared to express their own opinions and thus go with the flow of everyone else in fear of being hated on. As you can see on the last app for Rex in the 501st basically every single person who gave a -1 got a negative rep for their opinion. On the other end we see people getting positive rep just because they agreed with the majority of the battalion and gave a +1. Now, if you are a trooper in the battalion things might be more stressful. As a trooper outside the battalion you could give two shits because you are probably not around the person 24/7 and concerned how they will react but if you spend a lot of time around people you might possibly be concerned about their image of you after the matter is over. For example: If I -1 someone in my battalion running for BCMD who everyone else likes I can deal with things like "Wow Keo why you gotta be like this?" or "Man you are retarded" or just anything along those lines, now that might nessecarily happen but you see my point.

Also an outside view can always help. Now Im pretty sure everyone views at least one battalion with a majority of them being minges. If one of the minges runs for BCMD and the other minges vote for them there is an obvious problem. Now if the minority of the battalion who does not minge speaks up, it might not be enough if they were to even speak up at all. This is where outside input comes in. Others throughout the server will easily be able to step in and point out the facts of what is going on and help prevent a disaster. Not to mention most people in battalions are friends and are blindsided if not ignorant to their fellow troopers mistakes. Now don't get me wrong it is also important the battalion itself is in favor of the person running but outside input is just as crucial.

Here comes the part about XO. For many people demoting someone might be the last thing you want to do. If they did nothing wrong it might be even harder. XO position is only one spot. If someone else arrives who might do a better job as XO shows up then you might be in a difficult position and just leave them the highest rank available below XO. My point is, rank does not always matter. That is why BCMD positions require you to be CPT+ (I think). I am not saying the XO might be bad but the fact of the matter is there can be a wide range of potential with different people specializing at different things. Maybe the battalion needs better RP and the Colonel is better at that than the XO or something? 

You cannot even try to say that what I am saying is false because I have been playing SWRP for about 3-4 years now and I have encountered these situations many different times. Do not let ignorance nor your emotions blind you from the truth.

Almost forgot.... -1

Edited by Keo (old Pheonix)

-1. Whenever I took over the ARC battalion for the first time, you can be damned sure Manson and his friends didn't want me as BCMD (was applying from the 91st.) ARC needed a wipe, badly, if I were unable to take that position because of them having the final say, the battalion would never have been fixed, and trust me, they were a plague. They were worse than Joey's friends. Your suggestion would allow a legacy, good or bad, to be indefinitely protected and to be untouchable.

Edited by Fizzik
  • Agree 1
  • Disagree 1

Rule-maker and rule-breaker.

-1 While I understand your view point, it only exists in a world where the battalions are all perfectly run and have perfect successors. Some times battalions need change from the outside, for example Fizzik's case. Changing the rules to this would allow shit battalions to remain shit because it would be based off of popularity within the battalion. The best choice for next BCMD is necessarily always the most liked member. Also XOs can be pretty ass and have better candidates.

Source: am a certified retard XO

• Agree 2

I dont think they should have final say but it should be weighed heavily depending on the situation, especially for higher rank positions. The application and interview should not matter as much as the feedback they get as well. If there is some shady stuff going on then the overall community feedback and review can help combat that. Overall the suggestion is on the right track to a really good idea that should be implemented at least a little bit already but with a little fine tuning and adjustment, it could actually work. What I mean is, instead of FINAL say, if the battalion is doing well and understands how it runs, it should be someone that the battalion wants and trusts to continue to improve and run the battalion properly and not some randy coming in hot with a hostile takeover for power. The second part I do not really see is needed because the XO doesn't always want to run for the BCMD spot, the added responsibility may be something that they just do not want to take on and someone else may be trained and just as ready to take it. Overall, +1 for a little bit of a tweaked number 1 and a -1 for part 2.

• Agree 1

Neutrall.

I don't think the solutions you stated will cause more positives than negatives
BUT
There is a real problem. I think too that the battalion of the open position needs to play a bigger role for the applicants.

• Retired Founder

Ive got multiple things to say on this post. Firstly we trust the Directors and high command (Because High command was there and agreed on the decision) with deciding who is ready and worthy of BCMD+ positions. Then on top of your first point if the battalion BCMD apps would become a popularity contest rather than an interview to determine who is and isn't ready for the responsibility of BCMD. Now on to your second point, the fact that you think that XO should automatically recieve BCMD shows me you have no idea the importance of what BCMD is and how seriously we take it higher up, if we just allowed any XO to move up we could end up with some really stupid BCMDs. Let me say this plainly because I know exactly what this is about, the person you wanted didn't pass the interview and that's a part of the process, but just because it didn't go your way doesn't mean all of the rules have to change to make sure all the most popular win everytime.

DENIED

• Agree 2