White screen seizure.

• Founder
Founder

Bug Type (Server:): Graphical (CWRP)

Severity level (1-3): 3

Evidence (if you can):  SEIZURE WARNING https://imgur.com/a/KUOQ49q

Description of the bug: Screen Rapidly flashes white. The frequency of flashing appears to change with frame rate.

How can we recreate it: 
Step One: Enter third person.

Step Two: Zoom in with any weapon (I tested with DC-17's, DC-15A, and a DC-15s).

Step Three: Exit third person.

Solution for some: After doing some testing I have found what causes the issue. Q Menu > Options > TFA SWEP Base Settings > Performance > Enable Iron sights DoF. When this is enabled I can recreate the bug perfectly, disabling it fixes the problem.

Screenshot 1: No flashing                        170074a41c.jpg
Screenshot 2: With Flashing                   1d58785de8.jpg
Screenshot 3: Flashing from video       1cae65e57d.jpg

People who have encountered a similar but not the same bug:

Buzz

Alexz

People who have recreated the Bug:

Jad

Marvel

Derv

Tinovious

Elijah

Edit: I didn't try much to try and get it to stop. Disconnecting resolves the issue until you do the three steps again on accident.

Edit 2: Screenshots for those uncomfortable with opening the video.

Edit 3: Solution for some was found.

Edited by Jad
  • Agree 1
  • Winner 2
  • Friendly 2
  • Founder
Founder

I'm honestly worried about it happening to someone randomly causing them to go into an episode.

As someone who knows people who have epileptic episodes, this needs to be fixed. People could do it without knowing and have horrible seizures that could kill them if they hit their head/their brain shut down during seizure. Please fix.

Yes, I do hate fat people.
Former Ordo Skirata

• Founder
Founder
4 minutes ago, JaBaku said:

Ok so it wasn’t my end I thought I broke my screen and I was on the way to buy a new one 🥴

I thought it was something with my GPU at first. Then I managed to recreate the problem.

Edit: I also noticed that it's not my whole screen. It doesn't cause any issues with UI.

Edited by Jad

Holy fuck my eyes, please fix this. I tend to use third person a lot and this could be an issue for me if this happens.

Current: Rancor Panda | Honorary Consular

spacer.png
Ex: Delta 38, Kom'rk Skirata x2, Mereel Skirata, A'den Skirata, Omega Squad Fi (XO), Foxtrot MDMK, 327th 1stLT, 501st 1stLT, 212th MAJ, 41st WO, Alpha ARC 22 WO 'Aven', 212th 1stLT Lycanthrope

someone should put a textscreen up around the map and in the CC Room to let people know or put it in OOC chat like every few minutes

“I’m not toxic, It’s just hard not to treat you like an idiot” ~ Logic

spacer.png

• Founder
Founder
9 minutes ago, Gret Briddlehide said:

Could this be a bug with the map? It looks like the source of the problem comes from the map shadowing.

Testing was done on Base and on Kamino. Both has the same issue.

• Founder
Founder
7 minutes ago, Joah said:

Is this happening on the main server and how the hell is it happening. ?

It seems to be case by case from what i'm finding. It happens on Main and Event. If it's something with workshop; I did a fresh install when the addon pack was updated.

• Retired Founder
1 minute ago, Jad said:

It seems to be case by case from what i'm finding. It happens on Main and Event. If it's something with workshop; I did a fresh install when the addon pack was updated.

how is it happening?

okay so allow me to say that i went to school for video game design and after analyzing the issue i've come to 2 potential conclusions 1. coding error within garrys mod, why you may ask could this be a coding error, because of the way it's recreated, zoom in with third person and then exit third person, normally people will only operate in first or third, and for guns it's always first, for melee third, for a gunner to use third is pretty pointless so the creators likely never experienced this bug while testing

and option 2. it could be an issue with the server weapons used, each weapon has it's own script to follow, and star wars weapons have unique ammo which requires a unique script to use said ammo, try it on a droid job and single player garrys mod without star wars based weapons and see if the issue still occurs, if it does, it's the coding, if it doesn't it's a script error within the server weapons

• Founder
Founder

I'm assuming this is very rare and only happening to a select few. If anyone has seen bug in game please post here, I'm going to compile a list of names.

Edit: No longer need people to post if they can create the issue.

Edited by Jad
  • Founder
Founder

After doing some testing I have found what causes the issue. "Enable Ironsights DoF" in the performance menu under "TFA SWEP Base Settings". When this is enabled I can recreate the bug perfectly, disabling it fixes the problem for some people.

Edited by Jad
  • Winner 1

Erm, sorry to break your solution but the Enable Ironsights DoF isn't the issue, I just ran across it and it isn't even checked, even though mine was way worse than yours. Easy fix is just closing GMOD completely and reopening it.

If it happens to me again I'll get video.

Image result for hell or high water jeff bridges

Choose your place, hell or high water, there is no in between.

• Founder
Founder
1 hour ago, Buzz said:

Erm, sorry to break your solution but the Enable Ironsights DoF isn't the issue, I just ran across it and it isn't even checked, even though mine was way worse than yours. Easy fix is just closing GMOD completely and reopening it.

If it happens to me again I'll get video.

That's nuts, alright I edited the post. I was so sure that it was the fix all solution, and that it was TFA being wonky with DoF. I'll keep testing if I can recreate it with other methods.

Edited by Jad
  • Retired Founder

I still have no clue what causes this bug, and cannot re-create it.

As for those saying "this can kill someone" we have flashbangs on the server. bright lights on clone wars are nothing new.

Same with some force abilities. Like Kyberslam, seems a bit over reacting to me. :P

This has to be a client-sided issue. If Mods and I can't re-create this, there is nothing I can do. ~ sorry.

• Friendly 1
  • 2 years later...