Can we get rid of the rail rule?

Zahariel

Standing or sitting on anything you would not normally stand on (ex. railings, lights, small props) is considered FailRP. This is such an odd rule, considering the lights have plenty of space, and provide a superior tactical advantage to those who can get to them. If you don't have a Jet pack, hoping across the lights in citadel is the only way to get into a spectator tower without bothering admins. Besides all that, This is just one of those things that seems ultimately pointless. People stand on rails, lights, and things they arn't supposed to all the time. Believe me, I deal with it on a daily basis, but I don't consider it abnormal. Whether they want to shortcut, get a higher viewpoint, or just be snarky it's a common occurrence.  Anyway, I just think it would help lighten the workload CG already has.

Edited by Zahariel

When I was in 91st I hated this rule because CG enforced it so heavily, I found it very strange and felt like they was just "picking" on me... But now i'm in CG and I have to enforce this rule, I find it one of things where I feel uncomfortable about it since I joined CG I have had to tell atleast 3 people about standing on the rails in the Lobby, they look, laugh or speak to me like i'm just trying to find something to tell them not to do... It's obviously not the case. I wouldn't mind it if stays or goes, but people need to realise that if it does stay then it is a rule and needs to be enforced. 

29 minutes ago, Porsche said:

Personally i agree with the rule. As mentioned above, it is FailRP. Not ONE clone would casually sit on a rail, or run on lights.

As for the enforcement, we as CG do need to enforce it more, to stop people from doing it

Any clone would do what normal human beings do. They would scale vertical surfaces to get to more advantageous combat positions in the show many times. Seeing as we don't have grappling hooks, we have to settle for parkouring our way up.  If you are really going to sit here and tell me a clone wouldn't casually sit on a rail, then you have to have a stick in your ass that makes it uncomfortable to do so. It's not remotely fail RP. If I have to drop pictures on pictures of people sitting on rails in real life, I will. Most soldiers would only lean on one, but that's just not in the engine.

• Agree 1
8 hours ago, Zyner said:

There is nothing tactical about sitting on a rail, if you want to do so for leisure then do it in your bunks and not in open areas where you should be standing to attention.

w05kPzr.jpg

It's not the sitting on the rail as much as it is standing on one. Keeping pathways clear during combat situation, while also raising your altitude enough to fire over someone's head is incredibly advantageous in a combat situation. It limits friendly fire and unit collision. Same situation with the lights in CSR, Citadel, and Engine Room.

On 21/11/2017 at 0:37 PM, Zahariel said:

Standing or sitting on anything you would not normally stand on (ex. railings, lights, small props) is considered FailRP. This is such an odd rule, considering the lights have plenty of space, and provide a superior tactical advantage to those who can get to them. If you don't have a Jet pack, hoping across the lights in citadel is the only way to get into a spectator tower without bothering admins. Besides all that, This is just one of those things that seems ultimately pointless. People stand on rails, lights, and things they arn't supposed to all the time. Believe me, I deal with it on a daily basis, but I don't consider it abnormal. Whether they want to shortcut, get a higher viewpoint, or just be snarky it's a common occurrence.  Anyway, I just think it would help lighten the workload CG already has.

@Zahariel I love you man, but you don't see an SAS or Navy seal seal sitting on top of some rich guys chandelier saying "guys I gots I have the height advantage, I got you covered".

And about small props, you won't have some Jedi stand on top of a small prop like a coffee mug and be like "I have the high ground".

That's why it's FailRP.

Edited by Stahl
8 minutes ago, Stahl said:

@Zahariel I love you man, but you don't see an SAS or Navy seal seal sitting on top of some rich guys chandelier saying "guys I gots I have the height advantage, I got you covered".

And about small props, you won't have some Jedi stand on top of a small prop like a coffee mug and be like "I have the high ground".

That's why it's FailRP.

If they were under attack, you're damn right SAS,Navy Seal, GIGN, or any other special forces outfit would use a chandelier if it was the best tactical location. They don't give a shit about looks, only results, which is what we they players are on about. Even if the rule just needs to be simply changed to "When not in combat scenarios, players are not to stand on rails or lights." Honestly, I don't see a problem with sitting on rails, but I can understand the formality of wanting a more professional look. However, in combat, we want results. I also never said anything about small props, so please don't dilute my argument.

15 hours ago, Zyner said:

There is nothing tactical about sitting on a rail, if you want to do so for leisure then do it in your bunks and not in open areas where you should be standing to attention.

w05kPzr.jpg

Who is that as Fox? I thought it was me, but than I saw Barriss Offee in the back so I don't think it's me.

Edited by Dargon
On 11/22/2017 at 11:17 AM, Zahariel said:

d86be1148136d83da7b66b333e6eb5a8.jpgoct2010-33.jpg

CG Arrest the above soldiers for FAILRP IRL

Just a quick thing bub, these two things are a wall and fence post that is A) not only based on the ground it stands on, B) these isn't rails like this thread is claiming needs to be rid of. C) If you ever put a lot of weight on a rail or light source of any type, it will be deformed due to the forces that are acting on the object and what its connected to. 

What I don't understand is, why is this an issue, There is perfectly good seats and a ground to stand on that works perfectly. This rule was to help Rping to be fallowed in a way. I echo what @senselessArtist said, why do you need to do this on Defcom 6? Yes I know you see people AFK on the lights in the lobby and all, in which we can't arrest for, which I have different views on. I'm very iffy on doing it on any other defcom, but CG can't run around the ship arresting many people on any other defcom then 6. So while I thank you for your concern for CG's workload, I don't think this rule needs to be remove on the grounds of RP.

1 minute ago, Puck said:

Just a quick thing bub, these two things are a wall and fence post that is A) not only based on the ground it stands on, B) these isn't rails like this thread is claiming needs to be rid of. C) If you ever put a lot of weight on a rail or light source of any type, it will be deformed due to the forces that are acting on the object and what its connected to. 

What I don't understand is, why is this an issue, There is perfectly good seats and a ground to stand on that works perfectly. This rule was to help Rping to be fallowed in a way. I echo what @senselessArtist said, why do you need to do this on Defcom 6? Yes I know you see people AFK on the lights in the lobby and all, in which we can't arrest for, which I have different views on. I'm very iffy on doing it on any other defcom, but CG can't run around the ship arresting many people on any other defcom then 6. So while I thank you for your concern for CG's workload, I don't think this rule needs to be remove on the grounds of RP.

Just a rebuttal bub. Garrys mod props due to engine limitations are mostly static, meaning they cant be deformed or otherwise changed in any physical way, therefor that argument is flawed. Also, in my original post, I never specified defcons, though in a later post I acquiesced the following,

On 11/22/2017 at 10:39 AM, Zahariel said:

Even if the rule just needs to be simply changed to "When not in combat scenarios, players are not to stand on rails or lights."

The reason this is an issue I've pointed out numerous times in this thread previously however I'll give you one free example.

On 11/21/2017 at 10:29 AM, Zahariel said:

advantageous combat positions

10 minutes ago, Puck said:

This rule was to help Rping to be fallowed in a way

This sounds controlling. Synergy was made by the people, for the people, or so it advertises every time I connect to the server. So in that spirit, lets give more choice and freedom to players in where they choose to sit.

Also, So far the only downvotes I'm seeing are from CG, and a couple admins. I'll let you draw your own conclusions.

Just now, Zahariel said:

Just a rebuttal bub. Garrys mod props due to engine limitations are mostly static, meaning they cant be deformed or otherwise changed in any physical way, therefor that argument is flawed. Also, in my original post, I never specified defcons, though in a later post I acquiesced the following,

I understand that, but I was just saying from a Real life situation is all. And the only reason you see the down votes from those groups is the higher ups is trying to have the server be more serious, and Cg because we are entrusted to enforce the rules. 

13 minutes ago, Puck said:

I understand that, but I was just saying from a Real life situation is all. And the only reason you see the down votes from those groups is the higher ups is trying to have the server be more serious, and Cg because we are entrusted to enforce the rules. 

The ones who want the server to be more serious hardly play on it. Not trying to disrespect, but comparing hours would be a crap shoot. Those who do Serious RP all the time (Like Smokes) Still do oddly unserious things. (He searched me for Deathsticks yesterday, rolled high, and decided that meant that I had deathsticks. On Ahsoka Tano. Wtf. ) But that is all besides the point. My original point was and still is, these things are done constantly in real life, and I even provided reasons as to why they would be done on the server in certain circumstances.

48 minutes ago, Zahariel said:

The ones who want the server to be more serious hardly play on it. Not trying to disrespect, but comparing hours would be a crap shoot. Those who do Serious RP all the time (Like Smokes) Still do oddly unserious things. (He searched me for Deathsticks yesterday, rolled high, and decided that meant that I had deathsticks. On Ahsoka Tano. Wtf. ) But that is all besides the point. My original point was and still is, these things are done constantly in real life, and I even provided reasons as to why they would be done on the server in certain circumstances.

The items that you provided was a guy on a post and a guy on a stone wall, which I pointed out that they are based on the ground so the forces will act differently, then a railing and a wall mounted light fixture that, if done irl, would break the points where both items are mounted to. I've never seen a person irl stand on either, let alone for a constant amount of time. and while the people who wants the server be more serious are on or not, its still CG's job to enforce their rules.

Just now, Puck said:

The items that you provided was a guy on a post and a guy on a stone wall, which I pointed out that they are based on the ground so the forces will act differently, then a railing and a wall mounted light fixture that, if done irl, would break the points where both items are mounted to. I've never seen a person irl stand on either, let alone for a constant amount of time. and while the people who wants the server be more serious are on or not, its still CG's job to enforce their rules.

I said reasons not items. The pictures were more of a joke. My reasons are infallible and perfect, to the point of revolutionary. Here at the Schott, I have to yell at people not to stand on railings during concerts pretty often. We don't have any lighting fixtures that provide a foot hold, most are built into the ceiling, so not so much on that front, but if they were like the ones in game, yeah people would be on dem all ze time.

Most old players will remember when we tried removing the rail rule and it was cancerous as shit.  RailRP was absolutely stupid.

Additionally to the OP, what you’ve just said is one of the most insanely idiotic things I have ever heard. At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.

• Agree 4
1 hour ago, Tomas said:

Most old players will remember when we tried removing the rail rule and it was cancerous as shit.  RailRP was absolutely stupid.

Additionally to the OP, what you’ve just said is one of the most insanely idiotic things I have ever heard. At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.

#RAILRP IS THE ONLY WAY, pretty sure i still have screenshots of the riots

On 11/27/2017 at 6:34 PM, Tomas said:

Quoting an Adam Sandler movie? You sir are of feeble mind and wit.

However, Joah spoke, and Joah is in charge. It's not going to be removed or edited, so CG may keep punishing the absent minded and AFK.

8 minutes ago, Tomas said:

Coming from the person who claims sitting on railings and light fixtures gives superior tactical advantage, I think I will take that as a compliment....

You obviously chose not to read my later posts. Allow me to do the hard work for you.

It's not the sitting on the rail as much as it is standing on one. Keeping pathways clear during combat situation, while also raising your altitude enough to fire over someone's head is incredibly advantageous in a combat situation. It limits friendly fire and unit collision.

Need I elaborate more?

27 minutes ago, Rush Cat said:

RailRP was so cancerous to the point that people were demoted and even removed for it back on IFN. The rule is in place since all of that happened. Most of the people here may not have been around for it but it was complete cancer.

As a hardened IFN Veteran, I have to stand by Rush on this one.

10 hours ago, Rush Cat said:

RailRP was so cancerous to the point that people were demoted and even removed for it back on IFN. The rule is in place since all of that happened. Most of the people here may not have been around for it but it was complete cancer.

Honestly, All I really want is for the rule to be "No sitting on rails or lights, however they may be stood on on Defcons 5 or below." The sitting thing is lame imo, but after seeing screenshots and hearing stories I can at least appreciate the fact that it is gross looking when done en masse. 

22 hours ago, Zahariel said:

Quoting an Adam Sandler movie? You sir are of feeble mind and wit.

However, Joah spoke, and Joah is in charge. It's not going to be removed or edited, so CG may keep punishing the absent minded and AFK.

Here is the thing, CG doesn't arrest AFKers because they can't hear the warnings. While we like to do so, we avoid it to avoid drama and such that CG seems to garner anyways. Unless the owners wants us to do so

2 minutes ago, Puck said:

Here is the thing, CG doesn't arrest AFKers because they can't hear the warnings. While we like to do so, we avoid it to avoid drama and such that CG seems to garner anyways. Unless the owners wants us to do so

I've been arrested for being AFK on comms deck. I was poopin, and came back to a prison sentence. I was distraught. 

6 minutes ago, Zahariel said:

I've been arrested for being AFK on comms deck. I was poopin, and came back to a prison sentence. I was distraught. 

Well I was talking about on rail and lights, but I am interested on whoever arrested you and if they gave warnings of some sort