Forseen's Event - Assaulting the Factory

Forseen

• Retired Founder

Name: Forseen.

Who helped (If applicable): Carvis.

Event Name: Assaulting the Factory.

Summary of the story: The CIS found one of the Republic trade routes and began working on setting up a new Droid Factory on a planet near the middle of the route to try to cut off the Republic. High Command received a message warning them about this and sent all forces to assault this Factory.

What was the result of the event?: The Republic efficiently assaulted and destroyed the CIS FoB and downloaded the plans for the Droid Factory.

Was this more of a role play oriented or "shoot em up" oriented event: Shoot 'Em Up!

d9f249f35937db020ed6d92e3ba44fae.png

• Management
Management

8/10

Was a very very fun shoot em up deployment.

• Friendly 1

ezgif-4-6f1b17d05a.gif

i am literally captain tukk

9.5/10 Great late night event, A lot of fighting with subtle plot twists here and there. Some passive RP although the event wasn't designed for it, Which is a great taste of both worlds, More RP wasn't needed due to being so late and people being tired. Quite honestly don't have any criticism.

• Friendly 1

9/10, solid work, was a lot of fun and jedi worked well with us on this mission.

• Friendly 1

Current: Nothin :)
Former: Shadow Company Enlisted | RANCOR Captain Kase | RANCOR Alpha-22 "Aven" | RANCOR Alpha-26 "Maze" | RC-1140 "Fixer" 212th Ghost Company Trapper, Gearshift, Threepwood | First Rav Bralor
spacer.png

10/10 Very fun. Not to mention had roadblocks we needed to overcome. Impressive job with the random Flanking. Kept us on our toes. Thanks for Bacta ❤️

First event I have ever rated. So it twas great

Edited by Brooklyn

Kal Skirata                                                                                                                                                   Bacta                    Marvel                     Brooklyn

bc138de7013cca175b6f156e3713ccb8.png

I beat Jad in a spar first try.

8/10

Now, some might be wondering why I'm being such a Prick and not slapping a 10/10 on this Great Deployment, well, that's because it's a Great Deployment, not a perfect deployment. I don't think that the GM's ask for Criticism to be given 10/10's, nor do I think that every event can or even should be expected to knock it out of the park. Now, in a lot of regards, this Event did knock it out of the park, but as great as it was, there's still improvement to be made, and that I look forward to seeing. Personally, I wish I could rate more AARs, like I have before, and how I will be with this one, but I just dont feel as strongly with every event as I have with this one, and some Events Prior. Now, let's get started, 

Deployment Time

While I understand that Timezones are a Bitch to deal with, especially around the Holidays, the Server has had a pretty decent Pop since morning. As much of a Meme it is, to call people inactive for not showing up for a Deployment at Midnight, a lot of people would've loved to have seen this Event. If I hadn't just been about to get ready to go to Bed, I wouldn't have noticed the Ping, and I would've missed a great Deployment, like a lot of people did; While they Deployment did end up working well with the numbers, this is something that ended up working in our favor, because we couldn't just throw numbers at the Opposition. We had to play Smarter, which prevents a Shoot em ups, from becoming Boring.

Sidenote: The Portion above  was written before I went to bed, and  finished after I woke up. So, if there's a Disconnect , i'm sorry!

Now, while this worked well in this case, but you should Bear timing in mind for future deployments. This is however, going off of American Time zones, and when you loaded back in after a couple DC's, you explained it was "Aussie internet", With it being a Break, it's a lot more flexible in regards to who can get on when, but unless a lot has changed with this Server in-between my Farewell, and my return, this Server has a good mix of EU and US Players. Maybe a Deployment around later morning would work better? Again, Time zones are a Bitch to handle, but it's a shame so many missed this one. 

Our Heads aren't a Spanner

Now, for the most part this wasn't that much of an issue. and usually, especially during events, this is a BIG  Issue. Considering this was an Assault on an FOB, It's not like it was too many Droids. Now, in a couple instances, I think I just ended up rushing at a Poor time, but in a few instances, way too many droids were spawned, Now, i've never been a GM on this Server, but I have  on my Old Server, Event time is a tricky thing to get down and while you did get it down for the most part, I can't help feel like you felt like the Deployment was too short. In a Particular area, the small downhill Cavern, I cleared the left flank in a matter of minutes, our right flank and our push, felt like Thirty and if I didn't have my Tact I would've had to make ten trips. Now, this is coming from a Rocket Trooper, so, I was dealing about as much damage as I was getting hit with. After we finally made this massive push, Droids were spawn scattered in the forest, which decimated a bunch of passing troopers as well as yours truly. From what I understand, we had two main pushes going on, which could explain right flank being  a lot more condensed. However, I feel like the left push got the short end of the stick on this one. You could've easily had Carvis focus on Spawning, which makes this more forgivable, but the point of this isn't to tear anyone a new one, but rather give some Constructive Criticism. 

Toxic Optic Illusions

Going in, I expected to hate this Event, one of the first things I heard, was, "No Force leap, No Jetpacks", but I didn't make it to the Briefing. Now, using Force Leap and Jetpacks, were an option, but in a lot of cases, it was more of a Risk than a Reward. While the Map was big, it felt much bigger when you couldn't see much further than you could shoot, and in some cases you couldn't even see that far. While you could fly up, the Air was toxic, and if you weren't careful you'd hit the ground dead, or beside contacts. This made the Push feel more intense, moments in the Tunnel, and that moment on the Big bridge, felt like it was something that could've happened in the Series, while the clogged moments in the Hallway felt like a gritty look behind the scenes. This made Tunnels feel more open than the outside itself. This isn't something that I often see, and while it's difficult to pull off well, my only Complaint was that you turned it off at the last minute. While I understand that this could've been a roll with it moment in the event due to some behind the scenes I just dont know about, it was still Jarring to suddenly lose that fog. Not only was it something that set it apart from most events, at least that  i've seen, it made it difficult. Once the fog went away, so did the difficultly. It's one of those tings that could easily just be subjective. However, it's one of my few gripes with an overall, Great deployment. 

Wrapping up

It's not always easy to give constructive criticism, and while not as difficult as being a GM, it's still important, like GM's. Like I said before, I can't spend all day working on AAR's off and on, and I feel like if I did, it wouldn't be good AAR's. Thank you, for the Deployment, for your time and effort, and thank you to all of the GM's and GH's of the Server. I understand that it can be frustrating, to put in so much effort with Events, for AAR's to get one Liner reviews. As hard as it can be sometimes, try not to take it personally. Not everyone likes to go indepth with AAR;s. For some, a One Liner is all they need to show their appreciation, and, they shouldn't be ignored. I apologize for any typos when it comes to this one, I'm using a new Keyboard, and  I've been working on this one off and on, for about 12 hours or so. I hope this helps.

• Retired Founder

@Dubz Thank you for that amazing constructive criticism!!

Timing definitely was a bit of an issue, but originally it wasn't planned as an all battalions deployment, more of a 2-4 battalions however due to it being late we decided to go with all battalions about half way through planning stage. I agree that this probably could have been ran at a different time to allow more people to be able to participate in the event, however I do agree that the amount of players we ended up with was a pretty good size.

In terms of the two flanks, it was definitely tough for me and Carvis as one of us was watching in spectate to try and make sure people didn't push too far up as some Jedi decided to jump or cloak straight past the enemies and we didn't want to keep spawning more and more enemies moving forward for just 1 player, so we decided that one of us needed to stay in spectate mode to be able to combat this to ensure that the force stayed in one area at a time to minimize the amount of NPCs as the frame-rate was already low for most players. That being said, towards the end, we needed one of us to watch the "one man army" players on the server that were rushing ahead by themselves and one of us to watch the RP of people trying to destroy the fog generator (which is why the fog went away) and download CIS files from multiple terminals. This left us vulnerable to having to try and multitask 4-5 different things between 2 people and became hard.

We tried to give "checkpoints" by giving people tac inserts along the way once they had cleared out main areas. This was to make sure people didn't have to run back nearly as far, maybe we didn't get you with a Tac insert? If so I'm sorry! :(

Overall thank you for the feedback, next time I will definitely plan accordingly and make sure to have atleast 1-2 extra helpers to cover the issue of the different flanks not getting the same difficulty and maybe change it up a bit and keep the fog to keep the difficulty. I didn't realise how easy it would become after the fog was gone until I had already deleted it, which is 100% my bad for not testing it first!

12 minutes ago, Forseen said:

We tried to give "checkpoints" by giving people tac inserts along the way once they had cleared out main areas. This was to make sure people didn't have to run back nearly as far, maybe we didn't get you with a Tac insert? If so I'm sorry! :(

I think you misread, I said "If I didn't have my Tact" not that I didn't have one, I opted for the ten bucks ages ago, well worth it. I had to place it in a bit of a Cheeky spot from time to time, but, the checkpoints were for the most part, really good. 

16 minutes ago, Forseen said:

In terms of the two flanks, it was definitely tough for me and Carvis as one of us was watching in spectate to try and make sure people didn't push too far up as some Jedi decided to jump or cloak straight past the enemies and we didn't want to keep spawning more and more enemies moving forward for just 1 player, so we decided that one of us needed to stay in spectate mode to be able to combat this to ensure that the force stayed in one area at a time to minimize the amount of NPCs as the frame-rate was already low for most players. That being said, towards the end, we needed one of us to watch the "one man army" players on the server that were rushing ahead by themselves and one of us to watch the RP of people trying to destroy the fog generator (which is why the fog went away) and download CIS files from multiple terminals. This left us vulnerable to having to try and multitask 4-5 different things between 2 people and became hard.

Like I said, I wasn't trying to tear into you guys, and as a One man Army kind of Player, you guys did a good job keeping us back. As for the Fog Generator, and CIS Files download, I  played a more Support/Cover fire role per usual, as fun as it can be to absolutely destroy Clankers with a Rocket, I tend to go for softening big groups. Given that it was a result of Player choice,  and that I wasn't involved with the situation, it makes it a lot less jarring with context. 

26 minutes ago, Forseen said:

Overall thank you for the feedback, next time I will definitely plan accordingly and make sure to have atleast 1-2 extra helpers to cover the issue of the different flanks not getting the same difficulty and maybe change it up a bit and keep the fog to keep the difficulty. I didn't realise how easy it would become after the fog was gone until I had already deleted it, which is 100% my bad for not testing it first!

I'm glad the feedback was well recivied, and i'm surprised you didn't test it. I'm not an expert in regards to Gmod, but I think the Fog was impressive overall. I look forward to seeing more events from you!