Tryouts - Are they just glorified chat spam?

So, go ahead and get ready because this is mainly a post that's me complaining about a very common, important thing on the server. Then I'm going to ask what you all think about, whether it's not actually a big deal to you, or if it actually bothers you as well, I would like some feedback!

Earlier today I had just got on the server and found a majority of the chat was being absolutely blown up with adverts to join a battalion. At the same time, there were PTLs and PTEs as well -- ones that were getting buried by a huge brick of yellow text screaming at us to drop what we're doing and put on a different color of armor immediately. And they were doing so at such a high frequency that no one could get a word in at all, effectively killing all possibility for Comms RP at all, which is a very important aspect of roleplay on a roleplay server.

Now before people flip out over that last sentence, this isn't a discussion about the state of roleplay on the server, as it is about tryouts. Everyone has to do them, everyone needs them to advance their Synergy career, but aren't they just a little bit irritating for the people that actually want to do comms RP? As I understand, there's a rule that you MUST delay your tryout binds by a minute or so before they get spammy, but the issue is that a LOT of people are doing it all at once, and typically if a SGT sees another SGT do their advert, it either reminds them to do their own, or it becomes competitive in an attempt to bury the other advert to get the attention of the 2 shinies that are on. As you can imagine, this really takes away from using such a vital asset to RP, that being the chat.

I've seen many other servers and they way they handle this issue, and not once have I seen it as bad as my home server, Synergy. You may see an odd tryout bind or two, but typically this is circumvented by the fact that SGTs need to wait for a claimable area to do a tryout rather than doing it in their bunks. I'm not saying this will fix the issue with Synergy, but what I do want to know is what everyone else thinks.

Are tryout adverts ruining chat RP?

If so, what can be done to fix it?

• Agree 2
  • Winner 2
  • Friendly 1

The Reprehensible Ratio!

#RemoveJedi

#RenameRancorToARC

4 minutes ago, Ratio said:

Are tryout adverts ruining chat RP?

If so, what can be done to fix it?

Simple.

remove tryout binds. Grand majority of the tryouts are either 

a.) people asking if people wanna tryout through their mic and or fishing.

b.) new players to the server going up to a battalion and becoming mesmerized.

c.) people asking a battalion for tryouts via ts and or reverse of option A.

the only tryouts that don’t happen 24/7 and need a bind would be SO BDE and Base ops. Change my mind.

• Agree 2
  • Funny 1
  • Winner 2

Ex HA | VA | SA | A | NA | GMC | GMM | GMO |
GM | GH | TRO x4? | TR | RTR | Hunter | Darman | Mereel | Fixer | Etain | Anakin | Hett | Base ops Commander | Forum Mod | Ahsoka x2| Tyzen Xebec | cooker | Jesse | Tup | warthog - Everything else i was

I HATE constant tryout binds... Its the worst when people have tryout bind wars, when in reality its not effective... at all (except for SOBDE/BO since those are semi-random)

A while back there was a suggestion to have a separate tryout chat command but it never got implemented.

7 hours ago, Regional said:

I mean make it a rule when a Event or encounter happens you can't do it. 

But people always going to advert it 

There actually is a rule if it wasn’t removed. Once an event/encounter is started no tryouts, sims, dupes (unless SOBDE/Jedi) or trainings are to take place 

• Agree 2

The chuckle fucks hosting them are meant to wait a minute between adverts, not every 10 seconds.

Also only 1 fucker per batt. Not 3.

Also can we try and keep bonds to 1 or 2. Some have 3 I swear.

What? Were you expecting some colourful thing denoting my past achievements?

Well tough luck, even if I did it would be just 3 things - Bacara, SPEC REG, Old HA.

Once a Marine, Always a Marine... Always forward, never back...

these are some solutions to the problem 
a: only allow 2 People From All Batts To Host Tryouts At The Same Time
b: Dont Allow Tryouts To Be Hosted During Events/Encounters
c; Make It So You Can Only Hit Your Bind Once Every 3 Mins And Only Allow Tryouts To Be Hosted For 30 Mins
d: Implement A Rule Stating That After 5 Mins Of Hosting Tryouts If You Are Asked To Stop Stop

These Might Help But I Dunno Thats Just My Epic Mind At Work

Hi I’m Pot

Current/Former: Child

• Management
Management

@Ratio I agree and thanks for making this post. We'll leave it be for now until a bit more feedback is given from the community and see what we can do to change things for the better.

ezgif-4-6f1b17d05a.gif

i am literally captain tukk

On 12/8/2019 at 9:36 PM, Kronos Jones said:

Simple.

remove tryout binds. Grand majority of the tryouts are either 

a.) people asking if people wanna tryout through their mic and or fishing.

b.) new players to the server going up to a battalion and becoming mesmerized.

c.) people asking a battalion for tryouts via ts and or reverse of option A.

the only tryouts that don’t happen 24/7 and need a bind would be SO BDE and Base ops. Change my mind.

This is a hot take that actually is 100% factual.

• Winner 1

Either battalions need to crack down on it from the top down, constant adverting of tryouts becomes an arrest-able offence, or remove adverting tryouts.

While I was still Palpatine I was working on changing the way tryouts work on the server universally because tryouts rn for every batt are dog shit. The "standard" tryout would be done in a claimable area like someone had stated before, but that'd be a long term solution. If I had to pick between all the options I would just flat remove tryout binds, they change nothing.

• Agree 2

When you spam tryout binds in Minecraft 😩😩😩👌👌👌👌👌😩😩👌👌 /ADVERT DEFCON 3, BATTLESTATIONS

<VIP+> radicaldude123: bruh this is mega walls the fuck you talking about with that defcon bullshit

Cjeck my post in off topic for the whole story, cuz I am procrastinating an essay rn

Edited by silvers
Head Admin
21 hours ago, Hero said:

There actually is a rule if it wasn’t removed. Once an event/encounter is started no tryouts, sims, dupes (unless SOBDE/Jedi) or trainings are to take place 

Guess we need to enforce it more :) 

Current: Head Admin | Specialized Regimental Commander

just cooldown the whole process.

I always got told not to spam my tryout binds cause its chat spam, Purly do it every 1-2 minutes and every 3-4 minutes if no one was coming.

Dont remove the binds, Just teach then ways to better use to avoid chatspam.

What does annoy me, are the dudes that need 2 binds for their tryout binds, they just too long home slice.

Current:

• CT Private Reggin
  • Youngling Billber (3 Years running)

Former:

• VET Admin
  • 187th Battalion Commander
  • 187th Executive Officer
  • 212th Ghost Company Lead
  • 212th ARC Lead
  • 212th Sharp Shooter Lead
  • 212th Commander Reed
  • Republic Medic Senior Officer
  • 41st Green Company
  • 41st 2ndLt
  • Ion Team Ras
  • RANCOR 2ndLt
  • 91st Captain
  • Shock 2ndLt

I’m undecided, but I think this can be fixed simply by enforcing a no tryout bind during events or scenarios, but yeah, it does get annoying. Especially when two people are adverting at the same time and then start competing and overlapping each other and flooding chat.

Only allow SO BDE, Base Ops and Senators do to try out binds. Besides as a ct, even if I walk through to lobby people are tryna recruit me.  +1

Imagine Putting Your Old Ranks And Roles In Your Bio

I Went from Mas Amedda and VA to Blacklisted from every single thing except CT and Jedi :)