voice range - staff command

Dono

Name: Dono

RP Rank: Knight

Suggestion: Implement a staff command that allows a staff member to extend the range of their voice to a certain extent. This could probably be done by using the lua voice distance parameter or by a scale similar to the set scale command. The actual changing of the voice range seems simple enough, I have no idea how the staff system works so I don't know how hard it would be to implement a new command like this. If its something that easily can be done, I think its worth putting this at the bottom of the list of things to develop.

Implementation: The intercom is something that ppl complain about a shit ton. Its server wide and the start and end noise ear rapes you when you least expect it. This could be a good alternative for gms to talk to a large amount of people over a specific distance away from them. It would theoretically work just like the voice amplifier swep but just less lag and only staff can toggle themselves to it. Its a great way to say something "over the loudspeakers of anaxes" and not across the entire galaxy with the intercom entity. This doesn't need to be anywhere near the top of the list of importance for development - but it will still be a nice feature to have on the server.

Lore: loud

Workshop content if applicable: requires development
(If no workshop content, suggest a developer or put "Require Development")

Edited by Dono
  • Optimistic 1

spacer.png

-1, the intercomm isn't very earrapey, I don't see how it's an issue tbh?

just spawn the intercomm it tells people when you start and end talking. Does the intercomm cause lag? doesn't everything cause lag? How would you keep it to 1 planet? are the maps not on top of each other? If it's a radius won't it go upwards the same distance sideways making it impossible to talk to all of anaxes without talking on other planets?

This just seems very unnessacery

• Disagree 3

The most fuckable person on Synergy Star Wars RP~

Forum Admin

+1

When it comes to feasibility I wont pretend to understand if this will work. However, metagaming is a real issue, and as a GM who is meant to entertain the player base, if you are only trying to deploy a certain group and the whole server shows up due to the intercom; you are put into a sticky and uncomfortable situation. If this were to work, I hope that would mitigate the issues surrounding the deployment of troops as a GM / Staff member.

• Winner 1

🎀  𝙵𝚊𝚛𝚝 𝚂𝚖𝚎𝚕𝚕𝚊  🎀
<3

23 minutes ago, Guac said:

When it comes to feasibility I wont pretend to understand if this will work. 

If you only look at the process to change the voice range of a player its not that hard from what I understand. I did some brief research and it looked like it was only like 1-2 lines of code. But that doesn't cover how to make it happen through the actual staff system. I have no idea what that code looks like so this might be completely impossible by limitations of the system we use right now. I just know that I have seen this type of command before on other SW servers.

spacer.png

10 hours ago, Dono said:

It would theoretically work just like the voice amplifier swep but just less lag and only staff can toggle themselves to it

I am not aware of the voice amplifier swep being laggy. Is this the same one you refer to? https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=732867617 I've used it before on servers with 90+ people on with no issues. Adding that wouldn't be an issue too since only staff members could give it to people, which would be no different than adding a command.

I'd honestly prefer the SWEP as it would be easier to use for staff (with a visual indication of where it goes) and already exists.

Current: Nothing

Former Vice Chairman Mas Amedda | Former Senior Senator Meena TillsFormer 41st BCMD Gree (Shrimp) | Former 501st Major Kix  | Former Senior Admin

3 hours ago, Shrimp said:

I am not aware of the voice amplifier swep being laggy. Is this the same one you refer to? https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=732867617 I've used it before on servers with 90+ people on with no issues. Adding that wouldn't be an issue too since only staff members could give it to people, which would be no different than adding a command.

I'd honestly prefer the SWEP as it would be easier to use for staff (with a visual indication of where it goes) and already exists.

a suggestion was made already before to add the voice swep a year or two ago... it was denied for causing lag.

• Informative 1

spacer.png

I don't remember when I thought of this, but imagine if we had a command that instead of increasing the range of voices, it targeted specific key areas of the map. Though I know that is less than likely I think that it would be hilarious.

+1 to this anyways

spacer.png

Master of the Order Mace Windu (Current) | DU VET Sergeant (Current) | Mas Amedda (Former) | 327th Battalion Commander Bly (Former)

On 6/17/2022 at 12:03 PM, Comics said:

-1, the intercomm isn't very earrapey, I don't see how it's an issue tbh?

just spawn the intercomm it tells people when you start and end talking. Does the intercomm cause lag? doesn't everything cause lag? How would you keep it to 1 planet? are the maps not on top of each other? If it's a radius won't it go upwards the same distance sideways making it impossible to talk to all of anaxes without talking on other planets?

This just seems very unnessacery

I completely disagree, seeing as though the sheer amount of complaining most GM's get when they use an intercom (even for as long as 10 seconds) is enough to stop them from using it alltogether. 

I'm going to +1, because if this is something we could add, it wouldn't detract from the server at all. Also it'd be really, really useful for GMs on the main server :P.

Edited by Mavelle
  • Agree 1
  • Winner 1

Was I a good Ahsoka Tano? Call 1-800-HOWSMYRP!

ff337e5ae083ae69e64e66c76a2ed4e4f9d4760c

I hate the intercom. If I could, I would delete the intercom and never add it back.

This suggestions means people won't use the intercom.

+1

|Longest Serving Attack Regimental Commander||Thigh High Connoisseur|

j5VeS9D.jpg

• 2 months later...
  • Founder
Founder

Unfortunately, this suggestion has been DENIED.

If the same suggestion is submitted again within 60 DAYS of this post it will be automatically denied.

// LOCKED
// MOVED TO [CW] SERVER SUGGESTIONS - DENIED

Denial reasons:
(These are some reasons that your suggestion might get denied for.)

• Not providing sufficient information.
    • Ex: Just linking the workshop and not giving us the actual model path you want to use.
  • The addon's size is way too big compared to its content(s).
    • Ex: 35mb for one model.
  • Lack of feedback.
    • Ex: Post has been up for 3 weeks and only received 1-10 votes.
  • Majority negative feedback.
  • Bad optimization and/or causes bad performance on the server.
  • Having multiple suggestions within one thread.
  • Bothering leadership/development team regarding a suggestion.
  • Suggesting a previously denied suggestion within 60 days of denial.

• Dumb 1