What's the deal with our ES maps?

Question: Why is it that every map we have on the server is downloaded into your addons when you connect to the event server for the first time and is it possible for us to change this like other servers?

Comments/Concerns: I'd make a suggestion but I feel like if it was possible to change it would have been already, but I'm curious why it is that you have to actually download every single event server map and its contents when you join the event server regardless of what map it's on at the time. I know other servers have a much better system which involves you downloading only the contents of the map you're connecting to, seemingly temporarily since when you leave and close Gmod that map is gone from your addons which makes it much much faster to load into their event servers than ours, even after the first time since you then have to load all the content and props of all of the event server maps every time you load into our ES. I know me personally, I usually take about 5 mins loading in before it says I timed out, then another 5 mins before I actually get in where on servers I played in the past I was in in about 3 mins with them having like 60+ maps to choose from on their event server.

So there's no doubt that the other system is better for both load in times across the board and letting us have a wider map pool, but is there something that's stopping us from changing to that system? Like I said it probably would have been done by now so I'm mainly curious what the issue is with it.

Staff Member you're asking: Anyone who knows the technical aspects, probably devs

Additional info: N/A

Why tf cant you upload images to forums this shit dumb asf

4 minutes ago, Maverick said:

183D8BFB2A845ADD19220FC1746ED8EDA7FCAB27

And most people dont have that issue of 5 mins loading then timing out unless 1. they have like 400 other addons loaded locally or 2. Your internet is shitting itself. This is only my partial response though. @ Developer

Idk if that pic is meant to be the reason but the servers that have the other system don't have that issue, and idk I think it's just because I'm EU since my internet is usually fine and I only have the addons on the server + like 3 or 4 small misc ones

• Informative 1

• 3 weeks later...
Banned

This is more of a question for someone like @Jad.

I personally am unaware of the fact of if our server currently utilizes Fast DL at the current moment or not, but what you mention is most certainly common practice for any gmod server. Typically content from any server will get sent to your 
steamapps\common\GarrysMod\garrysmod\download folder, as well as your steamapps\common\GarrysMod\garrysmod\cache. This is more helpful than harmful, as the content it's placing into your folders helps you load faster because you have the content, rather than it being deleted every time like you say.

There's a couple of key controls server owners have at their disposal to handle how this feature is dealt with, but I'm personally clueless. In my eyes, what @Maverickmentioned is more likely the case, where this is seemingly a client related issue. Maybe your specs aren't the best, or as you said, your EU ping doesn't benefit you. There's lots of factors that come in to play.

Edited by Jayarr
  • Informative 2
41 minutes ago, Jayarr said:

This is more helpful than harmful, as the content it's placing into your folders helps you load faster because you have the content, rather than it being deleted every time like you say.

I get that, though overall I think the other method would actually have you load faster since, rather than having to *load* all of the assets from every map, you just have to *download* the assets from one. I'm mainly judging this over how extremely fast I've been able to load into other NA servers by comparison, so it might just be the overall large quantity of props, models, etc. that we have, but there's still the benefit of being able to have a much less limited map pool which I would definitely take even if it meant another minute of load time, even though it probably wouldn't even.

Edited by Brian-Limmon

• Retired Founder

Just a small thing to hold you guys over here.

You have to remember, we as a group of founders came in to take over the community and did not implement everything that is on the server or the way things operate fully on our own. There are a lot of things that we are looking at to innovate how the servers work and optimize them.

But on the flip side of that coin, you also have to realize we all have lives outside of the community also. Within our Management+ group, including Developers. We have 5 of us studying full-time with part-time employment to be able to pay our bills to be able to study full-time and the other 4 working full-time.

I understand that things can take time sometimes, but you also have to remember we all have to sync up schedules from time to time to discuss changes and work together on development of new items and sometimes something as simple as a Q&A post may get missed when going through the forums.

• Winner 4
  • 2 weeks later...
  • Founder
Founder

@Brian-LimmonThe fast DL process is being reworked and will be incorporated within the next server update coming this month. This should solve the issue in which you are referencing. For now, I suggest subscribing to the event server pack as it will make load in faster.