GMOD & You - A guide to not burning out

Craigary

Garry’s Mod

More specifically a Star Wars rp server on garrys mod, a video game in which you do work. A lot of people get burned out on this god forsaken game mode and for good reason. Speaking from experience, I have a lot of roles within the server and each one is as important as the last. With all this responsibility things get hectic, and lead to losing interest or “burn out”. There is an easy group of solutions to avoid this.

If you find yourself getting burned out and want to get your drive back/ avoid a burn out all together what’s helped me are as follows.

> Have clear goals, and plans to achieve said goals. - (not to be confused with powerplaying) ask yourself, “where do I wanna be in 3 monthes” now wether this is a role play position or a position in staff results may vary. Take the time to organize yourself and create a plan of action to better suit yourself/prepare your self for the position you have picked. (Again don’t powerplay 4head do things legit) 

> take breaks, play other games, go outside! Remember there’s a lot more to life than a video game, if you spend your time in a dark room playing Gmod all day, you’re gonna start to feel like garbage. Go out with friends, play other games, go skydiving! Do other things with your free time other than play SWRP! You’ll thank me later.

> have fun on the server! Role play as you think your character would! Do things others wouldn’t (follow the rules of course). Rp on the rp server, don’t just wait for an event to happen, create your own rp! (Example: Bad Batch and I recreating “Shock Wave” using similar lines and smoke grenades instead of thermals lmao) If you go through your time on the server Waiting for things to happen, (events, updates, ETC) your opinion of the game will change and you won’t find as much enjoyment in it. 

> do what you think is fun! Don’t pick up a bunch of responsibility in the staff team, a battalion, (whatever branch of the server you can all at once). If you do this and don’t find enjoyment in things, everything will feel like a full time job, when it’s a video game. Do things you find fun! If you think it’s fun to be a staff member do it! If you think it’s fun to be a dedicated Jedi main, do it! The server is full of resources, classes, and grants you the ability to set your mind to whatever YOU think is fun! 

Thank you for coming to my Ted Talk!

• Agree 3
  • Winner 13

Ex HA | VA | SA | A | NA | GMC | GMM | GMO |
GM | GH | TRO x4? | TR | RTR | Hunter | Darman | Mereel | Fixer | Etain | Anakin | Hett | Base ops Commander | Forum Mod | Ahsoka x2| Tyzen Xebec | cooker | Jesse | Tup | warthog - Everything else i was

27 minutes ago, Craigary said:

> have fun on the server! Role play as you think your character would! Do things others wouldn’t (follow the rules of course). Rp on the rp server, don’t just wait for an event to happen, create your own rp!

People are afraid to play their character how they think they should because they're scared of breaking rules lmao.

When you're a named character, you have to play a specific role, but 90% of the server isn't named characters. Fucking go nuts, people. Do some batshit crazy stuff. Nobody is going to report you.

• Winner 1

hi.

If you start getting triggered at the slightest things: Get off.

If you ever question "Should I be playing this right now?": Get off.

If anything happens IRL such as a friend wanting to hang out, dinner with family/friends, life responsibilities come about: Get off.

You question your grade in school: Get off.

You start to have an attitude with others IRL and in game: Get off.

You have beef with someone/group of people: Work it out, don't escalate things and Get Off.

You ass hurts? Get off

Your feet are swelling? Get off

You are developing hemorrhoids? Get off and don't sit down all the time.

Family, Friends, Spouse ever questions your activity on your computer (Or if they know you play GMOD): Get Off

You think about GMOD responsibilities outside of GMOD (Work, School, Family & Friends time): GET TF OFF!

You neglect IRL responsibilities (Not cleaning up [Room, House, etc.] weight gain, your ears hurt/trouble hearing [from headset on all the time], visual disturbances [From sitting in front of computer screen all day]). Get Off.

You start developing a neck beard or facial hair when you are clean shaven: Get Off.

Your getting pale when you normally don't: Get Off.

Your Vitamin D deficient from not going outside and getting sun: Get Off.

Your friends and family have to schedule time to be with you: Get Off.

You are starting to develop Mental Health/Physical Health issues: GET TF OFF!

You mention to anyone IRL that you have experience because you were a high rank in staff or in RP on any video game: GET TF OFF!

You start to become more and more fatigue and irritable because your physical activity is non existent from sitting on GMOD all day: Get off.

I completely understand that people love playing RP, especially CWRP. But there is a time when you need to realize you are doing too much. I myself was like this when I first started playing GMOD RP back in January, 2017 on IFN (Old Synergy). I worked my way up to be Green Company Commander alongside Egg (Gree). I became a Jedi Master in March, 2017. I no-lifed the ever living shit out of this game. I accrued around 250+ hours every 2 weeks on this game, I was in college and was unemployed at the time. I was already a bigger person, but being on my ass all day on GMOD, I gained weight, I neglected certain life responsibilities (I still performed extremely well in college) but I blew off other responsibilities. I worked my way up to Elite Administrator (VA Equivalent) and Trainer Director (TRD). I was in those positions for quit a long time before stepping down from staff as a whole. I focused on RP and still maintained my current activity but focused on RP more than anything.

It wasn't until I was on my annual vacation where I go camping. IFN had fallen and migrated into Synergy Roleplay the morning I had left for vacation. It wasn't until then I realized what the ever living fuck I was doing with my life. I had resigned at that point and basically quit GMOD entirely until Winter/Spring 2018 when I came back and got Master again (Got Shaak Ti as well). Until the Odinson ban was underway. 

I am now back as of now after taking a massive break (I was banned May 31st 2018 and came back November 15th, 2019). 

I lasted until last week in which even though I maintained around 60-70 hours per 2 weeks I got burned out, simply because it is the same stuff to me. I am still a Master but stepped down from Luminara and still try my best to contribute to the Jedi and server. Although I don't like getting on the server and am severely burned out. I am still in TS and Discord. 

Once I was burned out. I resigned in less than 1 week.

I did not touch GMOD once for over a year and a half. In that time. I had dropped ~ 120 Ibs. I completed all 4 semesters of Nursing School. December 26th, 2019 I took my NCLEX (RN Board Exam) and passed and obtained my Registered Nursing (RN) License. TBH I would have passed School if I had remained on GMOD but my motivation and activity IRL would have been a lot more decreased if I had never got burned out.

I am not saying completely quit the server. But if you ever question why you are playing and/or questioned by anyone IRL. You need to start to rethink your activity on your computer. This doesn't mean quit playing but you need to turn your computer off, take a few deep breaths, and piece together your life again. Because if no change occurs, your personal life will just tumble right underneath your feet without you realizing.

The saddest thing on any GMOD RP server. Is that players believe that someone needs a metric ass ton of hours on the server. I have personally seen people not consider someone for a position because they only had 70 hours on the server in a 2 week period. 70 hours in a 2 week period is 5 hours. That is 5 hours per day you are on the server doing shit. I am sorry to the people who have like 150-200 hours per 2 weeks. 80-90% of that you are AFK and not actually doing anything. But it is sad that some people (Primarily the younger population) don't realize how much time even 40 hours on a game every 2 weeks actually is. 20 Hours a week is a part time job. 40 hours a week is a full time job. That is 8 hours per day excluding weekends.

I am also going to talk about the physical deterioration you can face when sitting on your butt all day playing GMOD (For those who no-life the game).

• The chance you develop a blood clot from being in a stationary position for a extended period of time. Odds are you are also crossing your legs which increases the chance of you getting DVT (Blood clot primarily in the vein of your leg) and having it release and form a clot in your lungs (AKA PE AKA Pulmonary Embolism) which is on par with severity if not more severe than having a Heart Attack.
  • You have a risk of developing hemorrhoids (sorry to gross you out but it's life) from sitting on your butt all day and the excess pressure. You are also at risk for developing a pressure ulcer.
  • Your vision can be extremely compromised with a screen (Especially in a dark room with it and the monitor is very bright).
  • Your hearing can become impaired due to constantly having elevated noise feeding directly into your ears constantly if your on literally all day for a long time.
  • Eating habits: Lots of people are guilty (Especially those with an ass ton of hours) are probably eating junk food and drinking soda all the time while playing video games all day. Your health can drastically decline from this alone.
  • Mental Health issues: Social Isolation, Depression, OCD, etc. Can develop from habits such as playing a game (GMOD for instance) for hours upon hours a day for an increasing period of time.
    • Mental Health issues can also pursue if you neglected IRL responsibilities, compromised relationships due to video games. 
  • Constant physical inactivity can lead to muscle wasting (Body literally feeds on your muscles because they aren't being used for energy). This can lead to Kidney Failure.
    • Nutrition can also cause this.
  • Constant Physical Inactivity (The kind you get from sitting in front of your computer for 10+ hours per day playing GMOD):
    • Muscle Wasting.
    • Diabetes Mellitus (Type 2).
    • Cardiovascular disease.
    • Osteoporosis
    • Arthritis
    • The list can keep going on.

The essay I just typed doesn't apply to everyone. Though some people who treat a video game like a full time job have a list of concerns they need to worry about instead of wondering if that suggestion is going to get added or you are going to receive that commander position. Please think about your life first before a video game. If you are questioned about inactivity and look and see you have an adequate amount of hours, not 200 or some dumb bullshit some people put as standard. I would just question why you are playing the server and if it is even worth it to play anymore.

THE GAME IS A LOT MORE FUN WHEN YOU GET ON WHEN YOU WANT TO NOT WHEN YOU ARE OBLIGATED TO! THE EXACT MOMENT YOUR LIFE STARTS TO BECOME ALTERED DUE TO YOU PLAYING THIS GAME YOU IMMEDIATELY NEED TO GET OFF AND THINK ABOUT "IS IT WORTH IT?" IF YOU SAY YES THEN YOU NEED A FRONTAL LOBOTOMY. IF YOU SAY NO THEN THAT IS WHEN YOU TO DECIDE IF YOU SHOULD RESIGN AND PLAY THE GAME WHEN YOU WANT TO, NOT WHEN PEOPLE EXPECT YOU TO GET ON. 

IF YOU EVER HAVE TO DECIDE BETWEEN ATTENDING A FUCKING MEETING/EVENT/RP AND SOCIALIZING, YOU NEED TO GET YOUR SHIT TOGETHER.

I am not by any means saying I am not guilty of doing this. Because I am most certainly am guilty spending absolutely too much time on this game and avoiding everything around me. I hope that this helps people who read this understand about the potential impact something like GMOD RP can have on someone who takes it a little to serious.

Something such as RP may have benefits as well. Such as learning to talk in a crowd and with other people (Believe it or not this actually has proven effective with people who are extremely shy in social situations and public speaking). Meeting new friends. Without this game, I would have never met the people I hop on almost every day and talk to and play something with. I am extremely thankful for what the server has brought me, such as people I am actually able to call my friends. The same people I have known since I joined 3 years ago I still talk with to this day.

I encourage you all to not get on the server every day. BUT.... More power to you if you are able to balance the amount of hours you put in and every single life responsibility and relationship you have. By all means do what you do and keep trucking on! We have weekends off from our Full Timers who work 40 hours a week for a reason. If you worked for a month straight you would feel like death and would want a break extremely bad. The same goes for almost anything. You need to have frequent breaks. If you need to, take an LOA once a week for 2-3 days. If you get disciplinary action for avoiding burn out then that shows what character that person is. This is exactly what we do in 41st. I am by no means gloating on the 41st or advertising them. But a lot of the time when you didn't see a lot of 41st on at the same time as other battalions (Such as 212th or 501st who would constantly have a shit ton of members on all day). The 41st were variable in terms of activity. This is because it is was primarily ran by people (Egg Included) Who take Life over RP. Everyone knows that Life comes before GMOD. But there are people out there who don't understand HOW MUCH LIFE COMES BEFORE RP. 

Some individuals may think that taking not hopping on the server for 3 days each week is seen as inactive. Regardless if they put 5 hours in each day they were on the server (Which 40 hours in 2 weeks).

This not an attack on anyone, but when a post like this gets brought I feel like I needed to share my personal opinion on the subject. I hope you all find this educational and a little tip for life when you are trying to prioritize this game over your life.

Learn to say NO! This is a stepping point when it comes to not getting burned out. Learn to say NO when people are requesting that you come on the server to do stuff.

IF YOU DO NOT FEEL LIKE GETTING ON THE SERVER THEN DO NOT GET ON THE SERVER. THIS IS THE #1 CAUSE OF BURN OUT. WHEN YOU START TO HAVE THE MINDSET "I NEED TO GET ON TO LOOK ACTIVE" OR "I NEED TO GET MY HOURS IN" YOU EITHER NEED TO TAKE A 1 OR 2 WEEK LONG LOA OR JUST RESIGN. 

Love you all and without this community I'd probably be playing games by myself.

<3

Edited by Pyle
  • Agree 2
  • Winner 2
  • Friendly 5
  • Management
3 minutes ago, Pyle said:

If anything happens IRL such as a friend wanting to hang out, dinner with family/friends, life responsibilities come about: Get off.

You have beef with someone/group of people: Work it out, don't escalate things and Get Off.

You ass hurts? Get off

Family, Friends, Spouse ever questions your activity on your computer (Or if they know you play GMOD): Get Off

You think about GMOD responsibilities outside of GMOD (Work, School, Family & Friends time): GET TF OFF!

You neglect IRL responsibilities (Not cleaning up [Room, House, etc.] weight gain, your ears hurt/trouble hearing [from headset on all the time], visual disturbances [From sitting in front of computer screen all day]). Get Off.

You start developing a neck beard or facial hair when you are clean shaven: Get Off.

You mention to anyone IRL that you have experience because you were a high rank in staff or in RP on any video game: GET TF OFF!

You start to become more and more fatigue and irritable because your physical activity is non existent from sitting on GMOD all day: Get off.

I completely understand that people love playing RP, especially CWRP. But there is a time when you need to realize you are doing too much. I myself was like this when I first started playing GMOD RP back in January, 2017 on IFN (Old Synergy). I worked my way up to be Green Company Commander alongside Egg (Gree). I became a Jedi Master in March, 2017. I no-lifed the ever living shit out of this game. I accrued around 250+ hours every 2 weeks on this game, I was in college and was unemployed at the time. I was already a bigger person, but being on my ass all day on GMOD, I gained weight, I neglected certain life responsibilities (I still performed extremely well in college) but I blew off other responsibilities. I worked my way up to Elite Administrator (VA Equivalent) and Trainer Director (TRD). I was in those positions for quit a long time before stepping down from staff as a whole. I focused on RP and still maintained my current activity but focused on RP more than anything.

It wasn't until I was on my annual vacation where I go camping. IFN had fallen and migrated into Synergy Roleplay the morning I had left for vacation. It wasn't until then I realized what the ever living fuck I was doing with my life. I had resigned at that point and basically quit GMOD entirely until Winter/Spring 2018 when I came back and got Master again (Got Shaak Ti as well). Until the Odinson ban was underway. 

I am now back as of now after taking a massive break (I was banned May 31st 2018 and came back November 15th, 2019). 

I lasted until last week in which even though I maintained around 60-70 hours per 2 weeks I got burned out, simply because it is the same stuff to me. I am still a Master but stepped down from Luminara and still try my best to contribute to the Jedi and server. Although I don't like getting on the server and am severely burned out. I am still in TS and Discord. 

I did not touch GMOD once for over a year and a half. In that time. I had dropped ~ 120 Ibs. I completed all 4 semesters of Nursing School. December 26th, 2019 I took my NCLEX (RN Board Exam) and passed and obtained my Registered Nursing (RN) License. TBH I would have passed School if I had remained on GMOD but my motivation and activity IRL would have been a lot more decreased if I had never got burned out.

I am not saying completely quit the server. But if you ever question why you are playing and/or questioned by anyone IRL. You need to start to rethink your activity on your computer. This doesn't mean quit playing but you need to turn your computer off, take a few deep breaths, and piece together your life again. Because if no change occurs, your personal life will just tumble right underneath your feet without you realizing.

The saddest thing on any GMOD RP server. Is that players believe that someone needs a metric ass ton of hours on the server. I have personally seen people not consider someone for a position because they only had 70 hours on the server in a 2 week period. 70 hours in a 2 week period is 5 hours. That is 5 hours per day you are on the server doing shit. I am sorry to the people who have like 150-200 hours per 2 weeks. 80-90% of that you are AFK and not actually doing anything. But it is sad that some people (Primarily the younger population) don't realize how much time even 40 hours on a game every 2 weeks actually is. 20 Hours a week is a part time job. 40 hours a week is a full time job. That is 8 hours per day excluding weekends.

I am also going to talk about the physical deterioration you can face when sitting on your butt all day playing GMOD (For those who no-life the game).

• The chance you develop a blood clot from being in a stationary position for a extended period of time. Odds are you are also crossing your legs which increases the chance of you getting DVT (Blood clot primarily in the vein of your leg) and having it release and form a clot in your lungs (AKA PE AKA Pulmonary Embolism) which is on par with severity if not more severe than having a Heart Attack.
  • You have a risk of developing hemorrhoids (sorry to gross you out but it's life) from sitting on your butt all day and the excess pressure. You are also at risk for developing a pressure ulcer.
  • Your vision can be extremely compromised with a screen (Especially in a dark room with it and the monitor is very bright).
  • Your hearing can become impaired due to constantly having elevated noise feeding directly into your ears constantly if your on literally all day for a long time.
  • Eating habits: Lots of people are guilty (Especially those with an ass ton of hours) are probably eating junk food and drinking soda all the time while playing video games all day. Your health can drastically decline from this alone.
  • Mental Health issues: Social Isolation, Depression, OCD, etc. Can develop from habits such as playing a game (GMOD for instance) for hours upon hours a day for an increasing period of time.
    • Mental Health issues can also pursue if you neglected IRL responsibilities, compromised relationships due to video games. 
  • Constant physical inactivity can lead to muscle wasting (Body literally feeds on your muscles because they aren't being used for energy). This can lead to Kidney Failure.
  • Constant Physical Inactivity (The kind you get from sitting in front of your computer for 10+ hours per day playing GMOD):
    • Muscle Wasting.
    • Osteoporosis
    • Arthritis

The essay I just typed doesn't apply to everyone. Though some people who treat a video game like a full time job have a list of concerns they need to worry about instead of wondering if that suggestion is going to get added or you are going to receive that commander position. Please think about your life first before a video game. If you are questioned about inactivity and look and see you have an adequate amount of hours, not 200 or some dumb bullshit some people put as standard. I would just question why you are playing the server and if it is even worth it to play anymore.

THE GAME IS A LOT MORE FUN WHEN YOU GET ON WHEN YOU WANT TO NOT WHEN YOU ARE OBLIGATED TO! THE EXACT MOMENT YOUR LIFE STARTS TO BECOME ALTERED DUE TO YOU PLAYING THIS GAME YOU IMMEDIATELY NEED TO GET OFF AND THINK ABOUT "IS IT WORTH IT?" IF YOU SAY YES THEN YOU NEED A FRONTAL LOBOTOMY. IF YOU SAY NO THEN THAT IS WHEN YOU TO DECIDE IF YOU SHOULD RESIGN AND PLAY THE GAME WHEN YOU WANT TO, NOT WHEN PEOPLE EXPECT YOU TO GET ON. 

IF YOU EVER HAVE TO DECIDE BETWEEN ATTENDING A FUCKING MEETING/EVENT/RP AND SOCIALIZING, YOU NEED TO GET YOUR SHIT TOGETHER.

I am not by any means saying I am not guilty of doing this. Because I am most certainly am guilty spending absolutely too much time on this game and avoiding everything around me. I hope that this helps people who read this understand about the potential impact something like GMOD RP can have on someone who takes it a little to serious.

Something such as RP may have benefits as well. Such as learning to talk in a crowd and with other people (Believe it or not this actually has proven effective with people who are extremely shy in social situations and public speaking). Meeting new friends. Without this game, I would have never met the people I hop on almost every day and talk to and play something with. I am extremely thankful for what the server has brought me, such as people I am actually able to call my friends. The same people I have known since I joined 3 years ago I still talk with to this day.

I encourage you all to not get on the server every day. BUT.... More power to you if you are able to balance the amount of hours you put in and every single life responsibility and relationship you have. By all means do what you do and keep trucking on! We have weekends off from our Full Timers who work 40 hours a week for a reason. If you worked for a month straight you would feel like death and would want a break extremely bad. The same goes for almost anything. You need to have frequent breaks. If you need to, take an LOA once a week for 2-3 days. If you get disciplinary action for avoiding burn out then that shows what character that person is. This is exactly what we do in 41st. I am by no means gloating on the 41st or advertising them. But a lot of the time when you didn't see a lot of 41st on at the same time as other battalions (Such as 212th or 501st who would constantly have a shit ton of members on all day). The 41st were variable in terms of activity. This is because it is was primarily ran by people (Egg Included) Who take Life over RP. Everyone knows that Life comes before GMOD. But there are people out there who don't understand HOW MUCH LIFE COMES BEFORE RP. 

Some individuals may think that taking not hopping on the server for 3 days each week is seen as inactive. Regardless if they put 5 hours in each day they were on the server (Which 40 hours in 2 weeks).

This not an attack on anyone, but when a post like this gets brought I feel like I needed to share my personal opinion on the subject. I hope you all find this educational and a little tip for life when you are trying to prioritize this game over your life. 

:pepoBOOMER:

ezgif-4-6f1b17d05a.gif

i am literally captain tukk

15 minutes ago, Pyle said:

You ass hurts? Get off

• Muscle Wasting.
    • Osteoporosis
    • Arthritis

Learn to say NO! This is a stepping point when it comes to not getting burned out. Learn to say NO when people are requesting that you come on the server to do stuff.

IF YOU DO NOT FEEL LIKE GETTING ON THE SERVER THEN DO NOT GET ON THE SERVER. THIS IS THE #1 CAUSE OF BURN OUT. WHEN YOU START TO HAVE THE MINDSET "I NEED TO GET ON TO LOOK ACTIVE" OR "I NEED TO GET MY HOURS IN" YOU EITHER NEED TO TAKE A 1 OR 2 WEEK LONG LOA OR JUST RESIGN. 

Love you all and without this community I'd probably be playing games by myself.

<3

Nice I definitely read that. All you have to do is not get burnt out simplespacer.png

• Funny 2

I do what I think is fun but I ended up with 8 perma blacklists, a staff blacklist and rank cap :(

Edited by McFisher

Imagine Putting Your Old Ranks And Roles In Your Bio

I Went from Mas Amedda and VA to Blacklisted from every single thing except CT and Jedi :)

From April until about July, I only played 2, at most 3 days a week.  Played other games, focused on work and girlfriend the rest of the week.  Actively worked on Discord and other server related things when I had the time.  Just trying to stay happy.

got called inactive pepega

Edited by Buuged | Thermite
  • Funny 1

21st's most useless long term member

why my shit keep getting deleted

12 hours ago, Clutch said:

who's fault is that

My honesty and good will! I have learnt to lie and keep secrets now so yeah shouldnt be that bad. As this server cannot forgive or forget gotta keep pushing 

Imagine Putting Your Old Ranks And Roles In Your Bio

I Went from Mas Amedda and VA to Blacklisted from every single thing except CT and Jedi :)

Banned

uninstalling Gmod helps btw guys 

Sanchez trembles at the mention of my name.