VIP Gamemasters Part 2

Ryx

After talking with some people for about half an hour, I have been developing a layout of what I think would make this type of addition work.

• VIP Gamemaster is a role for VIPs that are known by the community, and people that either have previous experience, or can actually write a highly detailed app.
  • The person in question must have at least 500 hours of playtime on the server. (This can be changed)
  • New Addition: If someone gets past the vote and interview and is accepted into the program, they will be put on a trial period with a rank similar to New Admin or Admin, and they will need to help events actively for a set period of time before they become a full VIP Gamemaster.
  • This role would require an in-game rank that IS NOT AN ADMINISTRATOR, but can still do most of the things our Senior Admins currently do. 
  • This role would require the person in question to be active, and would add another bonus for people to purchase VIP and work their way up on the server. 
  • Not everyone wants to be staff and listen to people bitch about their problems, some people would prefer to supply people with those quality events on both the main and event server. 
  • An app must get a minimum of 10 +1's, and must show obvious dedication and professionalism in their app. 
  • Once an app is accepted, they are NOT ACCEPTED FOR INTERVIEW. They will first be accepted for a vote by high staff, in which they will vote whether or not the person in question deserves the role. This vote must be majority. Once a person passes through a vote, they will be accepted for interview. 
  • Mingy events can easily get you removed from the program.
  • I get that some people may say that this role can be ABUSED. I have added checks and balances in this to counter that. Someone that minges or is obviously not fit for the role most likely won't get past the high staff vote, and if they do, we can be sure that the person is capable and trustworthy.
  • This list can be edited and feel free to make suggestions.
  • This has been reposted after talking to Zim to get any community feedback. You guys can say something is impossible, but you'll never know if this can work if you don't give it a chance. It's just like Nightmare applying for Yoda or Gene for Marshal, you won't know how it'll work out unless you give it a chance.
Edited by Ryx
  • Agree 2

I'm really not sure, it would eventually get out of hand..

Takes away the whole purpose of actual achievement of hitting SA and getting that chance to work for a program and progress further.

Overall I think it would cause to much hassle and eventually go to hell overall.

• Event Spam would happen - Takes away ShipRP/Tryouts/etc
  • Takes purpose of hitting SA away
  • Makes those who've worked for GM program I.E GMO+ pointless in the end.
  • To many cons rather than pros

-1 overall, I dunno, see how it pans out with feedback but GM is in a good place currently, doesn't need altering atm.

• Agree 2
25 minutes ago, Riddler said:

I'm really not sure, it would eventually get out of hand..

Takes away the whole purpose of actual achievement of hitting SA and getting that chance to work for a program and progress further.

Overall I think it would cause to much hassle and eventually go to hell overall.

• Event Spam would happen - Takes away ShipRP/Tryouts/etc
  • Takes purpose of hitting SA away
  • Makes those who've worked for GM program I.E GMO+ pointless in the end.
  • To many cons rather than pros

-1 overall, I dunno, see how it pans out with feedback but GM is in a good place currently, doesn't need altering atm.

There's some changes happening to the GM program, I already know about it. And this program is something I wouldn't expect very many people to get through, it's a difficult process, and more things can be added to change that. All I'm saying is that the idea be given a chance. I completely get where you're coming from.

I personally believe that the Gamemaster program never should've been staff-locked in the first place. I have heard from several people about servers that run their program like this, and it does fairly well. 

Edited by Ryx

I have very conflicting views about this whole suggestion. While yes it would be a nice reward to players who spend a lot of time on the server that just don't want to staff, it can also cause a lot of problems. I understand all your points and I would agree that, if I wasn't currently staff, I would be in somewhat support of this. But their are issues that would obviously entail on the whole project all together.

• It is very easy for someone to say on an application that they had previous experience. Even if they had some, favoritism from the person's friends/peers would widely sway the argument on if they should be accepted or not. I'll use myself as an example. I had previous experience on two servers (this and Icefuse) as game master, but resigned or left shortly after and never done any events. Yet, when I came back, and made my app again, It had positive feedback for me being a "good game master" or "made great events", keeping in mind that I never had made any events prior. 
    • And for the person to be just known by the community to be allowed to apply would cause massive amounts of issues for new players who are serious about that kind of stuff but are subjected away from it as people "don't know them". Which would discourage many players who bought VIP alike.
  • Having over 500 hours on the server and being able to tell can be weird as play time has only been recorded since we got the D3A admin system. Someone could be lying or again the favoritism or friends/peers factor waives the person on the decision of being allowed to or not.
  • The whole point about staff is for entertaining the players of the community on the server. If players were to be able to create events it wouldn't categorise them as players anymore as such. People mostly join the staff team to entertain and help alike. If any person could just make events at will it would get very messy too quickly. The staff members that currently are game masters would feel discouraged or feel unneeded and become lazy in the job and role they so wished to get and put tons of work and weeks into getting the chance to explore their mind and create new ideas.
  • Being active is very easy, all people need to do is sit AFK on the server to get their hours up, and checking their recent activity on steam would be extremely biased for the sole fact of people standing afk for hours every day.
  • I get that not everybody wishes to be staff, but "listening to people bitch about their problems", never really happens. If that is bought up in an argument then that person is not capable or deserving of their game master rights as a game master. Again like I said before, staffing is all about the player's entertainment. Game masters/Staff members provide that entertainment through the game master system. 
  • Again, an app to get at least 10 +1's, is very easy to achieve. Through friends/peers. 
    • If only game masters could give feedback and they had to get permission from game master officers to do an event, it would better the argument for this, but again, bias and favoritism would exist to the holy grail. 
  • The high staff vote would be fine but again could include swaying odds towards bias. 

In conclusion, it is a nice idea and all, but I have to - 1. This could all lead to too many events, which would wear players out and make them burnt out or just bored of events very quickly. Sorry.

Also, players can get a Senior Admin+ to do and event idea a player has. They are literally a poke or private message away.

Edited by Fours
  • Agree 4

Yeah the interview process is gonna have to be insane if this happens. But I would be all for testing the waters a bit with it. If it doesn't work out then no harm in removing it later (as long as people who pay for VIP know that it could be removed at any point)

-1, I'll say a few things.

1. in part of the suggestion you said 

13 hours ago, Ryx said:

Not everyone wants to be staff and listen to people bitch about their problems, some people would prefer to supply people with those quality events on both the main and event server. 

to which I will say the people in the SA position worked hard and went through a lot of hard staff to get there, for a person to not want to do that but still get the privileges SA gets feels extremely scummy and discredits the work our staff team does.

2. To bring up you said a person must have 500+ hours on the server, people commonly AFK on he server for long periods of time I mean if a person went AFK every day he could get 500 hours in about a months worth of play time while in order for most people to reach higher staff ranks such as SA and VA it takes them well over a month in most cases

3. You said they must get 10 +1s to get accepted, I will say that if you have a few friends on the server it is extremely easy to get 10 +1s and thus does not make this a good relative scale and while it could be increased to a greater number it would take an extremely large number of +1s to negate that favoritism

4. To my mind I don' know if the high staff would vote on whether or no the person was an exceptionally good member of the community or if they simply didn't see that person minging and if it was the second it'd be extremely easy to get passed the first stage.  

That's just my opinion and why I think it, I think it would take away the incentive of people to be good members of staff and simply donate so that is why I hold my opinion - Acorn/Rex 

• Agree 1
6 hours ago, Mr.Acorn said:

-1, I'll say a few things.

1. in part of the suggestion you said 

to which I will say the people in the SA position worked hard and went through a lot of hard staff to get there, for a person to not want to do that but still get the privileges SA gets feels extremely scummy and discredits the work our staff team does.

2. To bring up you said a person must have 500+ hours on the server, people commonly AFK on he server for long periods of time I mean if a person went AFK every day he could get 500 hours in about a months worth of play time while in order for most people to reach higher staff ranks such as SA and VA it takes them well over a month in most cases

3. You said they must get 10 +1s to get accepted, I will say that if you have a few friends on the server it is extremely easy to get 10 +1s and thus does not make this a good relative scale and while it could be increased to a greater number it would take an extremely large number of +1s to negate that favoritism

4. To my mind I don' know if the high staff would vote on whether or no the person was an exceptionally good member of the community or if they simply didn't see that person minging and if it was the second it'd be extremely easy to get passed the first stage.  

That's just my opinion and why I think it, I think it would take away the incentive of people to be good members of staff and simply donate so that is why I hold my opinion - Acorn/Rex 

1. My dead honest opinion to your first point is that gamemasters shouldn’t have been Staff-locked in the first place.

2. If staff are doing their job, people should be getting kicked for 5+ hours on the server, it’s not that easy.

3. Gamemaster apps in my opinion rarely get many replies, it’s not common for it to get to double digits.

4. You don’t put very much trust in the HAs, I believe that if they were to vote on someone, it would be a very well-informed and professional vote.

PS: I feel like y’all are taking my statement of “people would rather not be staff and listen to people bitch about their problems” too seriously. 

PSS: Right now the +1s to this are coming from normal players, and the -1s from current staff. To those staff members, I get that if this was added, it may not be “fair” that someone who isn’t even staff may get into gamemakers when you had to work your way up a staff team to get there. This is something I want so the community can be more involved in how they want the server, and you may disagree with my views on this, but I believe it’s something that can be worked on and be made to work. I have seen and heard about other servers where they run a system like this for their events, and it works fine because it is led efficiently and correctly. I believe that our community can make a program like this work if given the chance, especially since we are one of the biggest CWRP servers out there.

Edited by Ryx

+1 There are currently many good game masters in staff but there are also some not as good. Sometimes what I have seen is people doing quantity over quality to fill the quota so they dont get demoted and removed from GM/staff. Good idea but it was brought up before and beaned by joah but this is a good idea.

• Agree 1

+1 this would fix the problems of lazy story makers, People shouldnt be stressed with moderating and making a game mode. Terrible Idea but this should fix it. If this is denied I think a lot of people will be upset that their only chance for some originality in synergy is demolished. And you know what? This is the answer we wanted. You want a good server that doesnt screw over veterans, this is the way.

Edited by Meredith

I fell like it would be a good idea to put a limit on the number allowed at a time. Their activity/performance would determine if someone stays in the position (this is assuming the vetting process went off without a hitch). This way, staff GMs are still important and would make up the large majority. The staff wouldn't have a limit on their GMs and it would be easier than the interview to get there (again, I'm assuming this is an extremely difficult interview to pass). There would be a very select, limited number of VIP GMs, so that the community at large has more options and feels more involved. I think this hard limit approach to the VIP GMs would negate a lot of the worries presented in  this thread.

I would +1 a hard limit on VIP GMs, and -1 VIP GMs without hard limits. (I'm not even staff btw)

Edited by Marion

+1 - I have had this implemented on a server before and it actually worked out very well, we did not have too many as the events were limited to one every two or more hours and as such there was still plenty of time for things to happen. 

The grand scheme of it is really open to be designed in a sense of how often things happen and as such that is why this is a good idea. The events don't need to be hourly but in the end if people are willing able able to throw out good solid ideas with the insight on how to make it happen I believe that in all reality the Synergy roleplay team and community should openly allow its members to contribute in some way. 

People throw out about how events become stale, but why not give them the chance to show how they would do it?

In the end this is a community, the staff should not have all the burden of making things happen every day and so the ability to have overseen vip event makers contributing to this should be endorsed, after all it will allow the community to grow in new and possibly exciting directions.

-1 I’m working my ass of to try to get SA so I can be a game maker this is like bribing with 25$ to get gamemaker whole the rest of us put in the work and it’s unfair for those of us who are admins and had to work our way up also I have a feeling a lot of people would quit admin and just buy VIP to try to be a gm

• Agree 1
  • Retired Founder

meme1471406349gen.jpg

ᴍᴀʀᴋ ᴛʜᴇ ᴅᴀʏ ᴢɪᴍ ᴅᴇᴄʟɪɴᴇᴅ ᴀ sᴜɢɢᴇsᴛɪᴏɴ ᴇᴠᴇʀʏᴏɴᴇ ᴡᴀɴᴛᴇᴅ ᴀɴᴅ sᴛᴀʀᴛᴇᴅ ᴡᴏʀʟᴅ ᴡᴀʀ 3.

ɪ'ᴠᴇ sᴘᴏᴋᴇɴ ᴛᴏ ᴊᴏᴀʜ ᴀʙᴏᴜᴛ ᴛʜɪs, ᴀɴᴅ ᴀs ᴍᴜᴄʜ ᴀs ɪ ᴀɢʀᴇᴇ, ᴠɪᴘ ɢᴀᴍᴇᴍᴀsᴛᴇʀs ᴡᴏᴜʟᴅ ʙᴇ ɢʀᴇᴀᴛ, ᴛʜᴇʏ ᴊᴜsᴛ ᴀʀᴇɴ'ᴛ ʀɪɢʜᴛ ғᴏʀ ᴏᴜʀ sᴇʀᴠᴇʀ. ᴛʜᴇʏ ᴡᴏᴜʟᴅ ʙᴇ ᴠɪᴇᴡᴇᴅ ᴀs ᴀ ᴘᴀʏ 25$ ᴀɴᴅ ɢᴇᴛ ᴘᴏᴡᴇʀs, ᴀs ᴡᴇʟʟ ᴀs ɪ ʜᴏɴᴇsᴛʟʏ ᴅᴏɴ'ᴛ ᴛʀᴜsᴛ ᴄᴇʀᴛᴀɪɴ ᴠɪᴘs. ʙᴇғᴏʀᴇ ʏᴏᴜ ᴀʟʟ ʀᴏᴀsᴛ ᴍᴇ ғᴏʀ "ᴍᴀᴋᴇ ᴀ ᴀᴘᴘʟɪᴄᴀᴛɪᴏɴ sʏsᴛᴇᴍ ᴛʜᴇɴ", ᴇᴠᴇʀʏ sɪɴɢʟᴇ sʏsᴛᴇᴍ ᴡɪʟʟ ʜᴀᴠᴇ ᴘᴇᴏᴘʟᴇ sʟɪᴘ ᴛʜʀᴏᴜɢʜ ɪᴛ ᴡʜᴇɴ ᴛʜᴇʏ sʜᴏᴜʟᴅɴ'ᴛ. ᴀʟʟ ᴡᴇ ɴᴇᴇᴅ ɪs ᴏɴᴇ sʟɪᴘ ᴛᴏ sᴇʀɪᴏᴜsʟʏ ʜᴀʀᴍ ᴛʜᴇ sᴇʀᴠᴇʀ ᴀs ᴀ ᴡʜᴏʟᴇ. ɪ'ᴍ ʀᴇᴀʟʟʏ sᴏʀʀʏ ɢᴜʏs, ɪᴛ ᴊᴜsᴛ ᴡᴏɴ'ᴛ ʜᴀᴘᴘᴇɴ, ᴛʜɪs ᴄᴏᴍᴇs sᴛʀᴀɪɢʜᴛ ғʀᴏᴍ ᴊᴏᴀʜ.

ᴅᴇɴɪᴇᴅ.

• Agree 3