Unrestrict arrow_sign.mdl to guide in events

Glory22

Name: Shrimp | Keegan

RP Rank: 501st 1LT & 21st Padawan

Suggestion: /imp_urban/arrow_sign.mdl is in [SR] CW: Prop Pack 2 and is classified as an Effect within GMOD. It is currently restricted so SAs (and I assume upwards) are unable to spawn it on the event server. I wish for it to be allowed for usage by SA+.

unknown.png

Image of the sign for context.

Purpose: This sign can be used to help guide people in events and deployments. For deployments, many of the maps used can be quite large and confusing for players to understand directions given over advert by the gamemaster on where to go or where the objectives are. Having a simple-to-use sign would greatly resolve this issue and make it so on more complex maps that players can follow a set of signs at key junctions if the gamemaster has a set story for the event that players would walk through. For example, map gm_fork has long, winding roads with many different paths to take, which could make it extremely hard for a GM to prepare and keep up with them if the players all take different routes instead of sticking to a main route that has signs guiding them to stay on it.

Reasoning: This sign should be usable as it offers several benefits and conveniences. Currently there are a few alternatives to using a sign like this: Using a textscreen with "---->" as the text in it (this looks bad and can be missed if players aren't looking closely for it). Using a directional arrow made from props (This takes multiple props towards your prop limit and can't be easily maneuvered or placed on the fly). Placing big colored cubes over the objective (This breaks immersion much more and can get in the way of any ships flying around). The sign I suggest for usage is a single thing to be spawned, and as such can be easily maneuvered and rotated to face any 3D direction. This is much simpler than the alternatives and is likely less taxing on the server (although I do not know this for sure). It can even be placed flat on the ground to point somewhere instead of floating in the air. As it is an effect, it has no collision as well! I have spoken to several people who have thought this would be a helpful prop to use to guide people in events where otherwise players would be all over the place.

Implementation: Allow SA+ can spawn it and use it in dupes on main and event server.

Workshop content if applicable: N/A (Wouldn't need a change to server addons as I believe this is done outside of that)

Model: /imp_urban/arrow_sign.mdl

Other:

unknown.png

Sign can be colored with toolgun. You can then say "212th follows the orange signs and 501st follows the red ones" for deployments! The green circle is where you grab it with physgun.

Edited by Shrimp
add something

Current: Nothing

Former Vice Chairman Mas Amedda | Former Senior Senator Meena TillsFormer 41st BCMD Gree (Shrimp) | Former 501st Major Kix  | Former Senior Admin

+1 Good Suggestion fr, I notice battalions seem to mess up and take the wrong route during events decently often. This would be a big help to simplify even the time to make events itself. I think this is something that could also prove to be very useful for New SA's trying to setup simple events on different planets/maps within the event server.

Doom the Boom

• Founder
Founder

I put most entities / effects in bypass on event server when there's a demand for them. I'm not as concerned for server performance on event server as it's your show as GM's. If @Mavelle +1's this I'll accept it.

• Winner 1
  • 3 weeks later...
  • Founder
Founder

Unfortunately, this suggestion has been DENIED.

If the same suggestion is submitted again within 60 DAYS of this post it will be automatically denied.

// LOCKED
// MOVED TO [CW] SERVER SUGGESTIONS - DENIED

Denial reasons:
(These are some reasons that your suggestion might get denied for.)

• Not providing sufficient information.
    • Ex: Just linking the workshop and not giving us the actual model path you want to use.
  • The addon's size is way too big compared to its content(s).
    • Ex: 35mb for one model.
  • Lack of feedback.
    • Ex: Post has been up for 3 weeks and only received 1-10 votes.
  • Majority negative feedback.
  • Bad optimization and/or causes bad performance on the server.
  • Having multiple suggestions within one thread.
  • Bothering leadership/development team regarding a suggestion.
  • Suggesting a previously denied suggestion within 60 days of denial.