Server restarts

Taur

Name: Taur

Suggestion: I know this will sound weird but I think it would be amazing to do planned restarts (like every day at a certain hour).

Implementation: People who were in events where the server crashed will know that after the server crashes, it just feels a lot nicer without lagg at all. If we do planned restarts the server would always feel a lot nicer. (Feels a lot like the event server)

Lore: Troopers were not teleporting

Edited by Taur
Developer

Restarts are only able to happen by founders, meaning they would have to actively be on and meet the schedule quota. I don't know if they are up for that

1 minute ago, Jayarr said:

Restarts are only able to happen by founders, meaning they would have to actively be on and meet the schedule quota. I don't know if they are up for that

Well they could add like for example from 8PM to 10PM There will probably be a restart because as for now I don't think the server restarts a lot.

Just now, Black said:

Only @Joah and @Mods or @Jek (not sure) are able to restart server. Its not

as

easy

As

u think.

They need to be on and they need to do it. They cant enter console threw phone click two times and its done. NO They need to do everything step by step what takes some time.

I understand that, but if they are on they could do it

39 minutes ago, Mark F. said:

I don't know what company Joah used to rent the server but some server hosts have the option to do scheduled restarts on the cp which is where rcon is located.

Mods hosts the server on a dedicated box hosted by OVH

4 hours ago, Black said:

as

easy

As

u think.

They need to be on and they need to do it. They cant enter console threw phone click two times and its done. NO They need to do everything step by step what takes some time.

You know that you can make a script that does that right? :)

4 hours ago, Black said:

as

easy

As

u think.

Actually through personal experience, restarting a server isn't as difficult as you think. It's just tedious if you have to do it several times in one day.

I'd like to +1 this for particular reasons, even though it has negative results.

By doing this, we will certainly take a hit on GameTracker.

But, we will be able to filter out those that are AFK - lowering lag on the server and give Game Masters an accurate representation of active members.

Countless time I'd do an Event and see 70 or so people on, but only 20-30 are actually playing - in which I can't really go all out for them on the fun because I still have to account for 70 people worth of lag with spawning, etc.

This would also periodically reset the cache the server is holding over the hours (maybe? I don't know, I just know I've seen Joah force restart the server a few times in the past to clear cache).

So, I do +1 it for some of the benefits but it's up to Founders if not only this is possible but is the hit on GameTracker worth taking.

Edited by Zyner
  • Agree 1
On 2/16/2018 at 3:57 AM, Zyner said:

I'd like to +1 this for particular reasons, even though it has negative results.

By doing this, we will certainly take a hit on GameTracker.

But, we will be able to filter out those that are AFK - lowering lag on the server and give Game Masters an accurate representation of active members.

Countless time I'd do an Event and see 70 or so people on, but only 20-30 are actually playing - in which I can't really go all out for them on the fun because I still have to account for 70 people worth of lag with spawning, etc.

This would also periodically reset the cache the server is holding over the hours (maybe? I don't know, I just know I've seen Joah force restart the server a few times in the past to clear cache).

So, I do +1 it for some of the benefits but it's up to Founders if not only this is possible but is the hit on GameTracker worth taking.

I agree with you but do people really use gametracker to find servers? Lol

We could just have time intervals in which the server should restart instead of having a specific time. Or you could just do it when a Founder gets on in the afternoon/evening they could just restart while they are on. 

I feel like having a specific time would just be a hassle if a Founder can't get on, and then people will start complaining.