More Credits For Being Active, Remove AFK Credit Farming

Name: Escomombombae

Suggestion: Add a 15-30 minute AFK kick timer and increase credit earning rate or decrease item/stat prices, this would have the effect of encouraging more activity during peak times and make the server player population more accurate during times where not many people are playing instead of having 20-30 people AFK in their bunks, inflating the numbers. I believe this would would also free up time that admins take out to give people warnings and kicks for their current playtime.

While there are times where the server is fairly dead, people AFK farming credits makes it seem like it isn't.  I can understand the idea behind inflating numbers during these times of inactivity and while higher numbers might look good to people looking for a late night server to join in the server browser,  the few hours late at night when there are almost never any TRs on and the server looks full can make people feel like they are being ignored. If it were clear that there were less people on to those joining they would hopefully be less likely to feel this way.

By encouraging people to be active if they want an income, there will be more people wandering around the ship, participating in events and training, and role playing with each other. I can't comment on how the current server owner decides what fair prices are for the store and for in game income and so I can't really speak to any specific number changes without knowing the methodology used to decide the current credit incomes and item costs.

As it stands now, the average trooper with an income of 350 C/T needs to be on the server for around 18 days to buy  an assault rifle, not even mentioning the more expensive items found in the misc menu. I get that the store weapons are meant to be something to work towards but making these things so expensive means that the ownership of the server seems to be forcing or at least heavily incentivizing players to AFK and take up player slots if they want to be able buy a permanent weapon, well that or spend $25-60 of real life money.  I know this suggestion would probably take a lot of micromanagement to get it to a good place, and that as a player I probably don't have a good idea of how much work would realistically go into making this into a reality. I hope I didn't come off as too uninformed or insensitive on the difficulty implementing this.

Implementation: Implement a kick timer of maybe 15-30 minutes, increase either the amount earned for people actively playing on the server or decrease the prices of items and stats.

Lore: While clone troopers could stand guard for extended periods of time, standing in one spot for 12-18 hours without moving an inch staring at a blank wall might be pushing boundaries of belief a bit.

Workshop content if applicable: NA

Edited by 󠀡󠀡
spelling error
  • Agree 2
  • Disagree 4
Banned

+right

+forward

• Agree 3

Alright so guys, it doesn't matter how many +1's this suggestion gets. This will be denied.

We all know that AFK's are sometimes more than 3/4 of the server pop. If you kick the afk, we will be at the bottom of the server tracker and very few new CCs will join. There is a reason that we don't kick AFKs. We only kick them when they have 10h+ because they count as bots for the server tracker.

• Agree 4
  • Disagree 1
  • Friendly 1

AFK Players increase the general server population. More server population = More players joining

How do you think all the new people are joining dude? Nobody ever joins a dead server, people only join a well-populated and active one lol.

Same for the credit thing, would be retarded to code and is not worth it, most people AFK just for the credits.

Also, this is really bias towards the NA time, what about AU/EU? There are barely enough players online there, so unless you want to pull an icefuse and become dead in that timezone this change would be severely flawed.

• Agree 2
  • Friendly 1

Huge +1. 

Later in the day when more people get on then the server gets full and those guys who just sit afk are taking up space for people who actually want to be on the server.

Maybe not an automated system but make admins kick afk players. Why should their credit farming be more important than an actual player on the server.

Edited by Stern
  • Disagree 6
18 minutes ago, Taur said:

Alright so guys, it doesn't matter how many +1's this suggestion gets. This will be denied.

We all know that AFK's are sometimes more than 3/4 of the server pop. If you kick the afk, we will be at the bottom of the server tracker and very few new CCs will join. There is a reason that we don't kick AFKs. We only kick them when they have 10h+ because they count as bots for the server tracker.

I didn't know this was the rationale, I really haven't played Gmod outside of this server and the regular random minigame servers (TTT, Murder, Hide and Seek etc.)  I just figured that most of the time when events are happening and the server is active there are admins having to go around kicking people because it seems to stay at max population for 2-3 hours every day, if people don't find the server during low population times that is definitely a problem, but I'm still not entirely sure that the solution should be encouraging what is a fairly empty server during low population times to masquerade as a high population server. In my opinion from past experience it is annoying to join a server and have no one on that can train you and get you playing, thinking that the staff just don't really care and quit when in actuality no one is actually playing that can help you even though there are around 7 online that seem like they should be able to but aren't.

16 minutes ago, Twelves said:

AFK Players increase the general server population. More server population = More players joining

How do you think all the new people are joining dude? Nobody ever joins a dead server, people only join a well-populated and active one lol.

Same for the credit thing, would be retarded to code and is not worth it, most people AFK just for the credits.

Also, this is really bias towards the NA time, what about AU/EU? There are barely enough players online there, so unless you want to pull an icefuse and become dead in that timezone this change would be severely flawed.

To be honest I don't think that the server is dead most of the time is seems pretty active or close to server population limit (during reasonable NA time anyways), the times where server population is low is when almost every English server population is low as well, as for the credit thing being hard to code I assumed that it would be changing around numbers that were already in the system, is this not the case?

One of the things I think is a problem is the fact that people afk for the credits, I have a paragraph dedicated to that topic.

I would also disagree that having an AFK kick timer would somehow be biased against times where almost everyone is afk. You say that there are barely enough players online but how would either removing or keeping AFK players online change the experience for people who actually are online at those times? They don't make any difference at all because they aren't at the keyboard and therefore don't interact, or am I misunderstanding your point here?

Edited by 󠀡󠀡

Its literally Admins jobs to kick those who are AFK. Lolwut. 

Plus this would be abused so hard by putting +right and +foward.  i've been on servers that have had a system like this. 

1 hour ago, 󠀡󠀡 said:

As it stands now, the average trooper with an income of 350 C/T needs to be on the server for around 18 days to buy  an assault rifle, not even mentioning the more expensive items found in the misc menu

Also, you know there are ways to get more money aside from AFK'ing you know that right? 

Edited by Scribbles

Okay now ill tell you why this wont get accepted.

If we remove AFKing (and have an afk autokick) ideally we will have like 20-30 people on eastern times who will actually be playing that number may rise to around 60-70 during prime time. The problem with this is that synergy will go down the server rankings and with the low amount of players compared to servers such as icefuse and superior people will be less inclined to join a 60/128 player server. Not to mention people will be autokicked if they dont move for 15 minutes which can be quite the pain when you are doing something like doc work and you will have to tab in every 15 minutes to move around just so you dont get kicked

tenor.gif?itemid=6231561

Former: Commander Cody (x2), ATK Regimental Commander, SOBDE Regimental Commander, 212th XO, Omega Squad Lead Niner, Foxtrot XO, General Kenobi, HA (x2) TRM, GMM, RUS MP Commander 

Oh i forgot to mention Maxwell is working on a quest system which means players will have to actively run around the ship to complete tasks

tenor.gif?itemid=6231561

Former: Commander Cody (x2), ATK Regimental Commander, SOBDE Regimental Commander, 212th XO, Omega Squad Lead Niner, Foxtrot XO, General Kenobi, HA (x2) TRM, GMM, RUS MP Commander 

Banned

Thats a -1 from me dawg

On 8/25/2018 at 1:10 AM, Twelves said:

What he said -1