What takes Suggestions so long?

I am genuinely curious on why it takes so long for suggestions to go through the process of being implemented. I see some suggestions that have overwhelming support for it or negative and just don't seem to get noticed or maybe they just get forgotten. I remember a while back we were told that there would be monthly updates so that these suggestions that do make it through the process get implemented relatively quick. Some suggestions don't seem to require much development and just some minor additions or changes, but still take months to just get added. For example one of the hottest ones in my opinion is the ranks change but again it's been months of discussion in the background I guess, but yet no update for the public. Ranks has effected a lot of battalions positively or negatively. I would also think, something of such high effect on the server would be decided quicker then a few months.

For some people that put suggestions on the forms, they suggest them because of the need for something or for the better of something. If someone sees that an addition will better their unit, battalion, etc. Then they would like to see that during there time instead of 5 months later. 

I hope that this made sense because I am half asleep, I just wanted to see others opinions on this and maybe the higher ups opinions. All in all, just want the best for everyone.

• Agree 2

Notably Known as: Regimental Commander, Battalion Commander Doom, Last Foxtrot Lead Gregor, Boss, Sev, Battalion Commander Wolffe, Boost, Comet, Commander Faie, Charger

Currently: Crosshair & Shaak Ti

spacer.png

Forum Admin
8 hours ago, Slak said:

I am genuinely curious on why it takes so long for suggestions to go through the process of being implemented. I see some suggestions that have overwhelming support for it or negative and just don't seem to get noticed or maybe they just get forgotten.

Firstly, I'd like to say that there is certainly areas in which the development and leadership team can pick up on.

However, in many cases suggestions are at the bottom of any priority we may have at a given time.

In most cases, we are busy with handling bugs, currently accepted suggestions, new projects, or things for an upcoming update.

Just for transparency's sake, and to offer you an idea as to how we handle suggestions, I drafted up what is the usual process that we go through.

We can essentially split suggestions into 4 sections:

ADDON[S] FROM WORKSHOP -

• These suggestions encompass any content that was not created nor developed by Synergy, that is currently on the workshop
  • In most cases, nearly all of these suggestions are QOL (quality of life) changes
    • QOL changes in general are put much farther down the priority list
      • QOL changes will only be accepted if it has a substantial number of comments, and they are positive
        • i.e. if a suggestion has 2 comments, it will either be left to rot, or outright denied
  • Every addon needs to go through a rigorous inspection by Baron, Xaze, and others
    • This is to ensure there are not glaring issues, bugs, exploits, etc.
    • In many cases, the addon next needs to be stress tested in various ways
  • Once this is done, the addon will be prepped to implement into main

JOB/KIT CHANGES -

• These suggestions revolve around pre-exsisting content, which would be adjusted, added, removed, etc.
  • Changes regarding weapons are highly contentious, and a large focus is put on balance
    • All gun additions especially need to be balanced to current loadout and perma-weapon structure
  • Things such as changing a gun / utilities stats would also fall under this catagory
  • As stated before, these suggestions are VERY low on our priority list, especially when the have 4< comments.

OOC CHANGES -

• These would include things such as:
    • Rules
    • Ranks
    • Permissions
    • etc.
  • These are changes that in many cases, simply can be accepted by a director
    • Things such as rank require a dev's intervention in order to work
    • These changes also may be delayed due to issues with implementation
  • Typically however, because of this, these suggestions will get changed far faster than others

CUSTOM CONTENT -

• This is the term used to describe anything developed by and for Synergy
  • This would include:
    • Models
      • [Sculpting]
      • Modeling
      • Texturing
      • Rigging
      • Compiling
      • QA
      • etc.
        • This is an example of what a typical routine looks like for making a model
          • [Give or take a few steps depending if you re-use assets]
        • The process of modeling can be VERY tedious, especially when working with source
          • For this reason, unless the suggestion is very important, it will be pushed down the priority list
            • Example of an important change, assuming it was well received by the community:
              • Lore character additions
              • Clear and defined missing aspect of characters gear
              • Any glaring QOL issues needing a change
    • LUA
      • Changes to pre-exsisting systems
        • WiltOS
        • HUD
        • Helix
      • Brand new systems
        • Clans & Contracts
        • Quests
        • Conceptualize
        • Developing
        • GUI
        • QA

Hopefully this clears up some of what we do. I would be glad to answer any other questions regarding specifics.
P . S . I will put money on Mazen not reading this far

• Winner 1
  • Informative 2
  • Friendly 1
  • Pay Respect 1

🎀  𝙵𝚊𝚛𝚝 𝚂𝚖𝚎𝚕𝚕𝚊  🎀
<3

• Coordinator
Coordinator

because im lazy

• Agree 1
  • Winner 1
  • Pay Respect 2
17 minutes ago, Guac said:

Firstly, I'd like to say that there is certainly areas in which the development and leadership team can pick up on.

However, in many cases suggestions are at the bottom of any priority we may have at a given time.

In most cases, we are busy with handling bugs, currently accepted suggestions, new projects, or things for an upcoming update.

Just for transparency's sake, and to offer you an idea as to how we handle suggestions, I drafted up what is the usual process that we go through.

ADDON[S] FROM WORKSHOP -

• These suggestions encompass any content that was not created nor developed by Synergy, that is currently on the workshop
  • In most cases, nearly all of these suggestions are QOL (quality of life) changes
      • QOL changes will only be accepted if it has a substantial number of comments, and they are positive
        • i.e. if a suggestion has 2 comments, it will either be left to rot, or outright denied
  • Every addon needs to go through a rigorous inspection by Baron, Xaze, and others

JOB/KIT CHANGES -

• These suggestions revolve around pre-exsisting content, which would be adjusted, added, removed, etc.
  • Changes regarding weapons are highly contentious, and a large focus is put on balance
    • All gun additions especially need to be balanced to current loadout and perma-weapon structure
  • Things such as changing a gun / utilities stats would also fall under this catagory
  • As stated before, these suggestions are VERY low on our priority list, especially when the have 4< comments.

OOC CHANGES -

• Rules
    • Ranks
    • Permissions
    • etc.
  • Typically however, because of this, these suggestions will get changed far faster than others

CUSTOM CONTENT -

• This would include:
    • Models
      • [Sculpting]
      • Modeling
      • Texturing
      • Rigging
      • Compiling
      • QA
      • etc.
        • The process of modeling can be VERY tedious, especially when working with source
          • For this reason, unless the suggestion is very important, it will be pushed down the priority list
            • Example of an important change, assuming it was well received by the community:
    • LUA
        • WiltOS
        • Clans & Contracts
        • Quests
      • Brand new systems
        • Conceptualize
        • Developing
        • GUI
        • QA

Hopefully this clears up some of what we do. I would be glad to answer any other questions regarding specifics.

who asked

• Winner 1
  • Informative 1
  • Pay Respect 1

Future Dev. Assistant

• Coordinator
Coordinator
2 minutes ago, A-a-ron said:

HE SAYS IT!

#github in the community discord

2 hours ago, Guac said:

ADDON[S] FROM WORKSHOP -

JOB/KIT CHANGES -

OOC CHANGES -

• Rules
    • Ranks
    • Permissions
    • etc.

CUSTOM CONTENT -

• This would include:
    • Models
      • [Sculpting]
      • Modeling
      • Texturing
      • Rigging
      • Compiling
      • QA
      • etc.
    • LUA
        • WiltOS
        • HUD
        • Helix
      • Brand new systems
        • Clans & Contracts
        • Quests
        • Conceptualize
        • Developing
        • GUI
        • QA

I really appreciate you for going into detail about everything as well with Xaze in DMs.  There were somethings I didn't understand and now do and I completely understand. However, you mentioned OOC suggestions being relatively quicker then others and Directors accepting. I as well mentioned the Rank suggestion already being accepted by Directors and it is in pending founders. I am guessing that is something that is going to be coming in the near future.... Reason I always bring that up is because it's something I agree with lol. 

However, I would like to say this was not a post to call anyone out in particular and had no intentions of shitting on anyone. I appreciate the work that everyone puts in. I just wanted to see what really was the process and to see an in-depth reason to what holds up progression. 

Thank you.

Edited by Slak
  • Friendly 1

Notably Known as: Regimental Commander, Battalion Commander Doom, Last Foxtrot Lead Gregor, Boss, Sev, Battalion Commander Wolffe, Boost, Comet, Commander Faie, Charger

Currently: Crosshair & Shaak Ti

spacer.png