Question for the community: What is roleplay

A sorta follow-up to my previous community question.

What is roleplay to you? How does one "roleplay"? In your opinion does the server roleplay enough, too much or too little?

Those who know me already know my stance, but I want to hear from the community to gain a better perspective.
A follow-up question is: Why do you play on the server? What drives you to stick around?

Roleplay, to me, is a weird thing to define and is a wild spectrum. On one side, roleplaying can just be acting like a character, talking like your living in star wars, and getting ready for little fights with the CIS. On the far other end of the roleplay spectrum is getting invested. Making yourself feel like you really are there and really are fighting in this war. 

Roleplay is a subjective artform. 

I play on the server for fun. I come on to have a good time. I am driven to stay because the people I am around are nice and kind and are my friends.

Yes, I do hate fat people.
Former Ordo Skirata

The server is semi-serious. Roleplay doesn't necessarily stand out as one of the reasons people play the server. More community based than anyone actually giving a fuck about RP. Although, there's titbits with specific guys that'll actually have RP in it. People who play actual characters etc. No one battalion really enforces RP either, maybe SOBDE did with Null but that currently isn't happening right now. To RP you must play a character and stick in character unless in OOC sections of said map. You must be following RP rules, doing all non-visible actions through /me (such as cleaning your gun or hacking). But like I said, this is semi-serious so RP doesn't really exist outside of the basic foundation of YOU ARE A CLONE FIGHTING DROIDS.

• Confused 1
29 minutes ago, Baron said:

Why do you play on the server? What drives you to stick around?

Generally speaking. 
I stick around because I like the server, what it’s become, and the player base.

I like the feeling of getting lost in the server, doing some kind of work escaping reality for a little bit. Life sucks and all but I feel as though when I get on the server I’m doing something that actually matters.

I guess would be an adequate way of putting it. 

• Friendly 1

Ex HA | VA | SA | A | NA | GMC | GMM | GMO |
GM | GH | TRO x4? | TR | RTR | Hunter | Darman | Mereel | Fixer | Etain | Anakin | Hett | Base ops Commander | Forum Mod | Ahsoka x2| Tyzen Xebec | cooker | Jesse | Tup | warthog - Everything else i was

Forum Admin

Roleplay is completely subjective. My rules when it came down to it (specifically when I was staff) was; am I breaking a rule, is everyone involved having fun, am I having fun. I used to be a stickler about rules but as time went on I eased up and started to actually have fun roleplaying.

I stick around only for the people. I feel like I can contribute to something that affects more than myself. Especially when were in a self isolating pandemic, you lose sense of your own self worth. In some ways, I feel like the server gives some of that back to me.

🎀  𝙵𝚊𝚛𝚝 𝚂𝚖𝚎𝚕𝚕𝚊  🎀
<3

Roleplay is, by definition the act of pretending or "playing" a role, like acting. On the server this is playing as a Clone/Jedi/Naval and acting like such. We set rules to prevent people from role playing in a darker fashion than we like as we are less strict on the "RP" elements atm.

I feel like some people RP well, some less so. Some groups RP better and some don't. BH are often just edgy, Jedi act a bit too much like Sith sometimes and not peacekeepers, Clones act too independent but it would be boring if it was just Synergy Simon Says RP. Naval... varies tbh, some are okay some are just doing there job. 

Often age is a key factor on how one RPs. Some of the younger members of the community can get very invested and involved, some older members less so. I can be like a bitter old Grandpa sometimes but I usually just RP as a calmer guy and joking pull out my accent and exaggerate it for fun. 

The server is currently probably like Gmod Serious RP, were you can't really break character drastically but you can have some IC fun.

If the server was like SUPER SERIOUS then a lot of people who currently play would be arrested.

Server is good atm, a nice mix and a lot of people with different ideas and opinions and attitudes.

I mainly stay around for the people and for something to do.

Edited by Gadget
  • Agree 1

What? Were you expecting some colourful thing denoting my past achievements?

Well tough luck, even if I did it would be just 3 things - Bacara, SPEC REG, Old HA.

Once a Marine, Always a Marine... Always forward, never back...

I think a big issue a lot of the time with RP is that either some people misunderstand their role or misunderstand other peoples. There's a lot of people that, understably, are pretty selfish with their RP, there are those who flock to RP with nothing to provide. 

RP on such a grand scale is bound to lower the quality drastically. That's why the best RP game is DnD. DnD is just a group of like 5 DnD players grouping up to experience and make their own story, obviously within the rules provided to them. When you think of the rules of DnD, you gotta wonder how much time went into it, it takes ages for a new sub class to come out of what could be considered a beta stage. When you compare that to synergy along with considering scale, for me it's pretty easy to understand the large variation in quality that often sides with poor.

One of the easiest observations about RP on the server you can make is that Jedi often misunderstand what a jedi even is and its expressed in their RP all the time. Before I put any thought into RP or roles I would think about, I used to be a mongo jedi. Like pong krell followed the Jedi code more than some of us.

This is me just firing some of my thoughts on RP. I doubt that it's structured well but it do be like that.

• Optimistic 1

"I'm not toxic. You're just making it really hard to not treat you like an idiot." - Logic