The Bribe and Fly

Bbstine

AAR Template

Name: Sparks

Who helped (If applicable): Bbstine, Luther, Guy, Cubby, Bluecar, Xiao, Comrade, (and some other dudes)

Event Name: The Bribe

Summary of the Event : Senate Commandos came on base with the intention of a prisoner transfer. Instead of that; the prisoner bribed all but the Commander and was killed during the Commando's and Prisoner's escape. The commandos escaped to the town to blow it up as the prisoner is a high causality bomber (terrorist in other words) it was the obvious place to go; which we hinted to the Republic. The Sergeant was playing a double agent the whole time working with the Admiral to escape with the Prisoner so he can continue his mission of extraction. The event ended with the Sergeant cutting loose ends and escaping with the prisoner.

KrMCdFv.png

2 minutes ago, Brass said:

4/10

I liked the story, but it seemed like an event for the EJs and nothing else

People RP'd with the youngling because your event didn't allow them to RP with you guys

Tension RP can be good for sure, but this didn't include the server 

We are slowly trying to find the balance between a good event for the players and the event jobs; Sparks is just now returning to the scene after a long hiatus and I'm not too active myself. 

:PepoThink: thonks all around, thanks for the feedback.

Would have appreciated a description of the event for a little recap on the AAR since there's no doc...

Overall, the one thing I really liked was the building of tension. There was a lot of silent stares, event jobs positioning themselves in places that made me want to be the first to draw my weapon, that was done pretty well.

Unfortunately I wasn't particularly fond of much else. Event jobs brought another event job into IR and then conducted IR while SO BDE watched. And it was pretty much just myself, Zey, and Scorch watching. Nobody else got to even watch 90% of the event go down. And at the end, when the Commandos did turn, it wasn't a grueling battle and an exchange of losses on both sides- it was being mauled down by 4-5 event jobs with ~5k hp and shotguns. Overall, a little disappointing. And then it was a chase outside the base that ultimately just resulted in death. 

By the end of it there could've been good RP,  but that was cast aside because most of the server was already bored and wanted it to be over- so the job was simply killed in an execution the Admiral half agreed to, but didn't actually order.

Ultimately, making events fun for event jobs is obviously something to consider- but the players matter too. This event heavily missed the mark on giving most of the server something to do. 

My gut tells me to give it a 5, but given the description on the chart I'm going to rate it a 4. There were simply too many issues with the overall premise of the event.

1 minute ago, Brass said:

4/10

I liked the story, but it seemed like an event for the EJs and nothing else

People RP'd with the youngling because your event didn't allow them to RP with you guys

Tension RP can be good for sure, but this didn't include the server 

Fair criticism and I'll certainly explore that. However, let me explain from the GMs position. I spend 30 minutes getting story pieces set, getting jobs together and trying to run these guys through what I expect from their Roleplay. We land and are immediately assaulted with requests regarding our manifest and all sorts of shit because some Senate Commandos in the past have done bad shit. I'm sorry but that's 100% metagaming, every engagement should be treated as brand new with no prior knowledge unless otherwise specified. With that being said, if I didn't have to argue with "someone" and walk to and from the Brig twice there might have been more time to do what I originally intended which included a large RP session to relieve the Village. However, because "someone" decided to argue with me and continue to fight us tooth and nail, the event suffered. So, while you might have rated the event four out of ten, you can certainly assign that reasoning behind that to a certain "someone".

• Agree 1

Yes, I am that Sparks.
Former 104th Commander Wolfee | Former ST Commander Fox | Former Jedi General Sparks | Former Anakin Skywalker | Former/Original Sentinel Leader

"We are drowning in information, while starving for wisdom." - E.O. Wilson

Just now, aWildSparks said:

Fair criticism and I'll certainly explore that. However, let me explain from the GMs position. I spend 30 minutes getting story pieces set, getting jobs together and trying to run these guys through what I expect from their Roleplay. We land and are immediately assaulted with requests regarding our manifest and all sorts of shit because some Senate Commandos in the past have done bad shit. I'm sorry but that's 100% metagaming, every engagement should be treated as brand new with no prior knowledge unless otherwise specified. With that being said, if I didn't have to argue with "someone" and walk to and from the Brig twice there might have been more time to do what I originally intended which included a large RP session to relieve the Village. However, because "someone" decided to argue with me and continue to fight us tooth and nail, the event suffered. So, while you might have rated the event four out of ten, you can certainly assign that reasoning behind that to a certain "someone".

Asking people for manifests is not metagaming. If I ruin your event by following basic RP, that is your fault not mine. 

It'll be noted though

• Agree 1

"A word from the Navy..."

Just now, Brass said:

Asking people for manifests is not metagaming. If I ruin your event by following basic RP, that is your fault not mine. 

It'll be noted though

Your reasoning however is metagaming. I listened to you tell others to keep an eye on us because of previous encounters with SC. If you want shit RP, don't come to my events. You were hostile from the get, calm down bud.

Yes, I am that Sparks.
Former 104th Commander Wolfee | Former ST Commander Fox | Former Jedi General Sparks | Former Anakin Skywalker | Former/Original Sentinel Leader

5/10 - I agree with Brace and Foxey in this regard. But I like to add is this was very railroaded and the EJs getting annoyed because of player choice which came off as OOC mad. The PTS clearly showed the gm was annoyed that the players didn't go with what he wanted right away, which is a bad mentality to have. Respect player choice even if you disagree with it. There was potential in this event but was ruined not by the player base but the mentality the EJs and GM had when conducting themselves.

@aWildSparks , your reply to Brace because of "someone's" actions in rp because they are rping in a way you didn't expect is unprofessional. You are taking this criticism as an attack. And "don't come to my events" is a pretty bad take. But I will take your advice on this matter if this is your reaction to criticism. I do hope your other events go over more smoothly but I doubt I'll be there to witness them.

• Agree 2
  • Informative 1
32 minutes ago, Baron said:

5/10 - I agree with Brace and Foxey in this regard. But I like to add is this was very railroaded and the EJs getting annoyed because of player choice which came off as OOC mad. The PTS clearly showed the gm was annoyed that the players didn't go with what he wanted right away, which is a bad mentality to have. Respect player choice even if you disagree with it. There was potential in this event but was ruined not by the player base but the mentality the EJs and GM had when conducting themselves.

@aWildSparks , your reply to Brace because of "someone's" actions in rp because they are rping in a way you didn't expect is unprofessional. You are taking this criticism as an attack. And "don't come to my events" is a pretty bad take. But I will take your advice on this matter if this is your reaction to criticism. I do hope your other events go over more smoothly but I doubt I'll be there to witness them.

I cannot comment on what the EJ said in OOC, but certainly there should be no Salt coming from them as they were intended to die. Many things went wrong in this event, much of which could have been my fault. However, I'll state it again certain people decided to metagame and treat us like hostiles from the start. Continue to fight GMs and you will have bad events. We tried RPing but were treated like enemy combatants almost immediately. After we reached IR none of the players spoke or attempted RP they sat there staring through the viewing room. I agree that this was poorly executed as it is very hard to coordinate multiple EJs and Helpers while I too am attempting to RP, food for thought certainly for next time. The blame lies on both ends, however if you don't see how the actions performed are clear circumstances of metagaming I'm not sure I'm the right GM for you. 

Yes, I am that Sparks.

I’m going to step in here now. This AAR is for providing feedback from the players as long as it is to the event and not personal attacks. Please review all feedback and do not get drug into responses back and forth. If there are issues with metagaming bring it up to staff during the event in question and not post event AARs.

Reminder that the forums are open and viewed by members of our community and otherwise. Keep things civil and professional at all times. If you have further conversation outside the event take it to DM/PMs. Thank you.

On 12/10/2020 at 10:21 PM, aWildSparks said:

I cannot comment on what the EJ said in OOC, but certainly there should be no Salt coming from them as they were intended to die. Many things went wrong in this event, much of which could have been my fault. However, I'll state it again certain people decided to metagame and treat us like hostiles from the start. Continue to fight GMs and you will have bad events. We tried RPing but were treated like enemy combatants almost immediately. After we reached IR none of the players spoke or attempted RP they sat there staring through the viewing room. I agree that this was poorly executed as it is very hard to coordinate multiple EJs and Helpers while I too am attempting to RP, food for thought certainly for next time. The blame lies on both ends, however if you don't see how the actions performed are clear circumstances of metagaming I'm not sure I'm the right GM for you. 

1 hour ago, Fenrir said:

I’m going to step in here now. This AAR is for providing feedback from the players as long as it is to the event and not personal attacks. Please review all feedback and do not get drug into responses back and forth. If there are issues with metagaming bring it up to staff during the event in question and not post event AARs.

Reminder that the forums are open and viewed by members of our community and otherwise. Keep things civil and professional at all times. If you have further conversation outside the event take it to DM/PMs. Thank you.

Fenrir is right on this, and tbh, your responses show a lack of familiarity with how to deal with problems during your events.You have two options to deal with potential problems: In character or as a staff member.

As a staff member, you can and SHOULD respond to any form of confusion or rule breaking as quickly as possible, through answering questions or RAOSes on those who need it. Not doing this says to the playerbase, in the moment, you don't care about what the individuals are doing and are giving them a free pass to continue acting the way they are. As I recall, you continually complained in staff chat about it being metagaming. Instead of complaining, you could have spent that time warning individuals or RAOS if need be.

In terms of IC problem solving, change the story. If players expect a certain course of events to occur due to the reputation and history connected to the chosen EJs, then change it. The fact of the matter is, your event fell into the same stereotype that always occur with Senate Commandos: horribly poor at their jobs and corruptible by outside forces. This is something even seen in the show. In all honesty, you should have expected the clones to be immediately not trusting of the SC. 

This is the best advice I can give you to help you improve, as someone who always looks for new ways to improve events.

Everything in an Event is the GM's fault, the good and the bad. It is never an EJ's fault, as a GM's instruction or lack thereof allowed the EJs to exist as they do. It is never a helper's fault, as a GM's instruction or lack thereof allowed the helper to work as they do. It is never the player's fault, as a GM's intervention or lack thereof allowed the players to play as they do.

You can choose to be salty or you can choose to improve, not both.

• Winner 1

The guy who got drunk and pretended to be a vacuum for an hour