RAM/CPU Question

Currently having a rig built (too lazy to build another one myself) 

Specs: CPU: i9 9900k RAM: 16GB DDR4 3000MHz MOBO: ASUS ROG Strix Z390-H Gaming

I have another 16GB DDR4 3000MHz laying around that I plan on adding for a total of 32GB. The RAM coming with my RIG is a different brand than what I have right now sitting on my desk. Would this be ok to achieve 32GB as they are the same form factor and speed? I've also read that RAM can bottle neck your CPU. Would this RAM bottle neck an i9 9900k? Or should I go for faster RAM (3200+)? Lastly, is it wise to use 4x8GB to achieve 32GB or would it be wiser to use 2x16GB? Just looking for the best possible cohesion between my hardware and any tips/help would be greatly appreciated. 

RAM won't bottleneck your CPU as the i9 runs independently. It's ok if you buy RAM of the same speed, however, there are the timings you generally want to match as well. I'd recommend buying the EXACT same sticks/kit you bought before. In this case, however, you'll see a performance increase by just adding the 16GB you have. 2x16 is better but the difference is negligible, save yourself the money and use the sticks you have now, go 4x8.

• Agree 1

Rule-maker and rule-breaker.

1 minute ago, Fizzik said:

RAM won't bottleneck your CPU as the i9 runs independently. It's ok if you buy RAM of the same speed, however, there are the timings you generally want to match as well. I'd recommend buying the EXACT same sticks/kit you bought before. In this case, however, you'll see a performance increase by just adding the 16GB you have. 2x16 is better but the difference is negligible, save yourself the money and use the sticks you have now, go 4x8.

Appreciate the input. Was just worried that I wouldn't be getting the performance I wanted or expected out of the i9. This clears it up for me. 

As long as clock speed is the same and the actual ram type (DDR4/3/2 etc) is the same it doesnt matter the brand really. Of course, as stated above its always better to buy kits from the same brand, as mixing could cause troubleshooting havoc from a maybe less superior brand.

14 minutes ago, Porsche said:

As long as clock speed is the same and the actual ram type (DDR4/3/2 etc) is the same it doesnt matter the brand really. Of course, as stated above its always better to buy kits from the same brand, as mixing could cause troubleshooting havoc from a maybe less superior brand.

Timings matter too.

Rule-maker and rule-breaker.