Server Performance

Question: Why does the server feel laggier than it used to?

Comments/Concerns: I'm not tryna be a negative nancy but I feel like the server used to be able to handle so much more. Now if anyone spawns a dupe and 30 droids the frames begin to drop. I thought the server box update was gonna allow much larger events, and if I remember right, we had a few main server deployments that were huge and ran fairly well. Did something happen that I'm just not aware of? The recent GMOD updates fuck everything over? At the end of the day it is what it is tho.

Staff Member you're asking: @Xaze I think this relates to your department but idfk. 

Plug A Lil Special But He Chill

Snake Vinland Saga GIF - Snake Vinland Saga Vinland GIFs

The assets being used in the past were not nearly as High Quality as the ones used now, this map is also much bigger and the models are much higher quality/droids function much better and we have many more customs scripts/addons than we used to. (remember source doesn't render what you can't see, therefore the higher quality meshes/models cause more strain being rendered than your 1000 pixel play dough white model from 2018-19.)

The technological advancements on an engine as old as Gmod's have not been good when it comes to performance. Gmod will likely never recieve an update to allow for full utilization of the server boxs people pay for. Therefore no matter how much the box is upgraded, server performance will maintain a steady line rather than improving noticeably. 

That's what i know, im sure there are many more reasons and network issues at play that Xaze can touch on much better than myself. This is just observations from my time on the server. 

Edited by Mystic
  • Informative 1

Longest Special Operations Member on the server.
 Current: Jedi Chief Instructor l Alpha 98 Nate
Former: Cin Drallig l First Yayax Squad Yover l Foxtrot Commando l 2nd GM BCMD Bacara l Serra Keto Final SO Commander Jet l First & Last Devil Dogs Deadeye l Veteran Admin l Jedi General Plo Koon l 2nd Returning SO CMD Jet l Luminara Unduli l Wolfpack MAJ Boost l Kit Fisto l Trauma's Unit MED Mystic l Jedi Military Advisor l Omega 36 PVT Darman l High General Shaak Ti
929b4e909812caa69dc35d62f2db974e.gif?ex=

Head Admin
50 minutes ago, Monarch said:

The recent GMOD updates fuck everything over?

Yes

Current: Head Admin | Specialized Regimental Commander

• Coordinator
Coordinator
3 hours ago, Monarch said:

I'm not tryna be a negative nancy but I feel like the server used to be able to handle so much more

Ima keep it a stack, we're the highest quality server in the top 5 starwarsrp servers when it comes to NPCs, Models, Quality, etc.... It's insane we're able to hold 90 players with no lag. 

If we want to have zero lag I'd have to remove all of our content. Most of the lag our players feel is FPS and not actual latency. 

**Note** there was a gmod update that fucked up networking, and resulted in higher pings, It seems to have been mostly fixed in the last couple of weeks.

• Informative 1
1 hour ago, Xaze said:

Ima keep it a stack, we're the highest quality server in the top 5 starwarsrp servers when it comes to NPCs, Models, Quality, etc.... It's insane we're able to hold 90 players with no lag. 

If we want to have zero lag I'd have to remove all of our content. Most of the lag our players feel is FPS and not actual latency. 

**Note** there was a gmod update that fucked up networking, and resulted in higher pings, It seems to have been mostly fixed in the last couple of weeks.

this is mostly @Guacfault he is the reason for 99% of synergy problems 

Discord_9rd9RKz5k5.png

• Agree 3
  • Informative 1

220px-Trump_The_Art_of_The_Deal2C_cover2

Forum Admin

Ay im not the most active, but ive noticed some issues when it comes to people just getting a bit sloppier. Fuck ton of pre-spawned droids, npcs using t-21s, sims / other shit going on during events. npcs on props. These are all things that staff and gms had to avoid and focus on when the server box was shitter, but now from what I have seen, we've kinda just let these things happen.

• Winner 1

🎀  𝙵𝚊𝚛𝚝 𝚂𝚖𝚎𝚕𝚕𝚊  🎀
<3

• Coordinator
Coordinator

Question Answered