Server box info

Question: What are the actual specs of the server box? Do we split the server box with other customers from the server host? If so, what is the actual utilization of the box we get or how much do we actually have as our own to utilize?

Comments/Concerns: My entire time here it has always been a game of speculation about what we actually have that runs the server we all play on. I know a lot of rumors proliferate since there is no official statement made about what "we have a new server box" actually means. A lot of us here are tech literate at a basic level, at least enough to understand some computer terminology. I think if it was publicly out there whats actually provided through our server host contract, there would be less drama in this community. There would definitely be less toxicity / disgruntlement from the players towards the founders.

I dont know if this is a soft spot or something but Its always seemed like a weird secret to keep. Also maybe its not a secret... maybe yall are just never actually asked directly because ppl are too scared to bring it up around you.

Staff Member you're asking:  @Square

Edited by Dono
  • Agree 2
  • Optimistic 1

spacer.png

• Founder
Founder

10 hours ago, Dono said:

There would definitely be less toxicity / disgruntlement from the players towards the founders.

I wish this was true but it very clearly isn't. Unfortunately something we've had to come to terms with as Founders is that if someone is looking for a reason to be upset they will more then likely find one or follow misinformation.

Originally we were against giving our server specs as we weren't entirely sure how secure everything was. Giving away hardware details sounds like a small thing. But when hardware vulnerabilities happen the last thing we want is for the vulnerabilities to be used against us or our players to harm or ruin their experiences in any way. After enough time had passed we were positive in our security and systems in place to not have to worry anymore.

Xaze ~ 

10 hours ago, Dono said:

Do we split the server box with other customers from the server host?

This is a dedicated box, and we do not share resources with any other servers .

10 hours ago, Dono said:

what is the actual utilization of the box we get or how much do we actually have as our own to utilize?

Please keep in mind Garry's Mod is single threaded game, meaning we can't fully utilize multi-core capabilities for lag prevent. We're really looking at single core speed when it comes to this really old game 

Edited by Xaze
Added information - Xaze
  • Informative 1
  • Founder
Founder

Question Answered

• Founder
Founder
9 hours ago, Dono said:

Question: What are the actual specs of the server box? Do we split the server box with other customers from the server host? If so, what is the actual utilization of the box we get or how much do we actually have as our own to utilize?

Comments/Concerns: My entire time here it has always been a game of speculation about what we actually have that runs the server we all play on. I know a lot of rumors proliferate since there is no official statement made about what "we have a new server box" actually means. A lot of us here are tech literate at a basic level, at least enough to understand some computer terminology. I think if it was publicly out there whats actually provided through our server host contract, there would be less drama in this community. There would definitely be less toxicity / disgruntlement from the players towards the founders.

I dont know if this is a soft spot or something but Its always seemed like a weird secret to keep. Also maybe its not a secret... maybe yall are just never actually asked directly because ppl are too scared to bring it up around you.

Staff Member you're asking:  @Square

Not sure where the speculation is coming from I've always been pretty open about the server specs and have addressed it publicly on multiple occasions. No we don't share we pay for an entire dedicated server that is completely our own in Chicago.

We currently have a Ryzen 5600x. Garry's mod is only a capable of running off one core of our processor though so we can only utilize 100% of that core per server unlike newer games which can utilize multiple for performance reasons. 

• Informative 3