Do people know what racism is?

Dadd

Ive been on synergy since its start.  Ive seen people be punished, sometimes heavily,  simply for saying "nigga" in a non-derogatory context.  (i.e. "hey nigga whats up").  The rules say that no racism is allowed, and saying nigga in that particular context is not racist, but apparently still punishable for breaking the racism rule.  Recently, after reading a particular commander report, someone went around saying "are you a gook?" (may have said it only once though).  And the wikipedia definition of gook is: "Gook (/ˈɡk/ or /ˈɡʊk/) is a derogatory term toward East Asians,".  Yet despite it being clearly a derogatory term (with no slang such as how "nigger" (derogatory) can be changed to "nigga" (non-derogatory)), people were commenting on the commander report and saying that it is not racist.  One person said "Gook can be racist, but in this context no".  This is where i get confused, because people saying "nigga" is non-derogatory when used in a particular context, but when it comes to the staff team (which i have seen happen multiple times), the staff does not care about the context, and they determine both "nigga" and "nigger" racist and punishable.  My question is how can this be? how can it be that people deem "nigga" racist (when it usually isnt), and "gook" not-racist (whether they think gook is not racist at all, or not racist in this context).  My best guess is because since synergy has a population that reside mostly in america,  "nigger" has a lot more recognition for being racist than "gook" due to african american history in america, especially due to the recent black lives matter movements.  Any thoughts?

Disclaimer: all racial slurs used in this post are purely for reference, with absolutely no intention to be  racist.

Edited by Dadd
  • Agree 1

Changing the ER to a A doesn't make it not derogatory. It's still disrespectful to say it along with derogatory term you can think of.

I don't like it when people get banned for saying a derogatory term in a nonracist way. I personally think we should add a rule that stated no derogatory terms, even if it's in a nonracist way (obvious keep the no racism as well).

I think I am the one you quoted from Nightmares report. Being racist means you think your race is superior than the race you're being racist towards. Nightmare doesn't think his race is superior to asians (maybe he does, but he wasn't displaying that in that situation). It was still extremely disrespectful to say it, especially in front of a group you know may not be cool with it.

Edited by Dargon

IMO I think context should matter but given that this is a SWRP server and we do have younger kids on here I think the rules should still apply. Talk in TS however you want but keep it out of game to save your own asses

Edited by Blaze
  • Agree 2