CWRP Roleplay Check-in

So, over the past couple of months, we've endeavored to increase our standard for RP on the server. Personally, I have seen some serious improvement in the consistency of RP and the amount of people doing it, however we're still encountering the everpresent lack of Passive RP being stricken up by people who are not GMs or commanders during downtime- what are your thoughts on our current state of RP and the direction we're going in?
Gonna ping some people I know or think are passionate about the subject!

(not at all limited to these people lmao- I know they just might have some words for sure!)

@Marvel @Conrad @Xaze @Jayarr @TessaKitty @Dono @Ratio @Baron @Daytona211

• Agree 1
  • Optimistic 3

Was I a good Ahsoka Tano? Call 1-800-HOWSMYRP!

ff337e5ae083ae69e64e66c76a2ed4e4f9d4760c

Banned

Although I wasn't tagged in this post, I personally believe we shouldn't be encouraging AFKing! Examples being the "Deep meditation" quest line.. 

It seems to contradict the whole "encouraging passive RP"

• Agree 3
  • Dumb 1

r4ymo.gif

• Management

The main issue I see is that it seems most people believe they need a staff member to do most anything on the server which just isn’t true. Yeah maybe you can do more extravagant and cooler things but there are plenty of ways to just create passive roleplay and interact with other players without a Game Master making something. 

Especially now with the quest system there are now things to do that normally would have required a staff member but now it doesn’t. Just grab some other troopers take the bugs be munchin quest and go out on patrol together in the wilderness and shoot some bugs while role playing with one another and keeping the rest of the server updated with comms RP etc.

We have improved quite a bit but we still have a long ways to go and as long as everyone is doing their best we’ll be back on top no time soon

ezgif-4-6f1b17d05a.gif

i am literally captain tukk

10 minutes ago, Sixta said:

Although I wasn't tagged in this post, I personally believe we shouldn't be encouraging AFKing! Examples being the "Deep meditation" quest line.. 

Honestly I feel theres been alot more focus on getting server pop than actually supporting RP. things like Pet Drops, Quests that dont actually give RP Value. You get pinged almost 3-4 Times a day about Server pop.

I think these things are great by the way, I like the pets and quests are looking very promising. Though I have seen a couple pings about when theres "Good RP" going on, So theres been some work in it, It just hasnt had the primary spotlight.

• Confused 1

Currently trying to not be a forum gremlin

Former Chancellor Palpatine | Former Yoda & Mace Windu | Former Shaak Ti & Anakin | Former Delta Squad Scorch | Former Mas Amedda | Former Director | Former Management

Developer

I've personally been enjoying playing and RPing a lot more recently because people have actively trying to be in character. There has definitely been an increase in players wanting to RP and trying their best too RP. I think overall we are moving in the right direction from a server culture standpoint, regardless of new additions to the server. There is still a lot to do. I think I'd like to see the stakes raised in RP. Currently I feel there are no repercussions for our actions, both good and bad. It is harder to do that on Main but I'd like to see more of it on Event at least. Like if we took long to do X and Y gets destroyed or a character we grew attached to dies. There's no gravitas, no reason to care other than entertainment for an hour or 2.

When it comes to passive RP I've always found this to be the hardest thing to get people engaged with. It's not something for everyone as it isn't as "interactive" as shooting npcs. When I first started RPing it was something I also found very boring until I became more experienced. The community also appears not be interested in the passive RP portions of events, based of what I see in OOC or hear. But this could be a vocal minority or because they aren't directly involved in a situation. Not being in the know sucks, but sometimes you aren't the main character.

But how do we encourage it?  I'm not sure other than the obvious of trying to get higher ranks or "community leaders" to encourage it by demonstration. Monkey see monkey do. I think something as saying "Yes" to someone wanting to do a RP situation, even if it isn't something your character would do, but just going along with it would help. Saying "No" closes more opportunities to RP. But I also think passive rp has the stigma of solely being patrols and doing /me's. For me, I started to enjoy passive rp by using it to develop character or to decompress after an event by talking to fellow characters about how messed up the last attack was, losses, etc... This ties in to what I mean by no gravitas in events, without it there's no reason to do passive RP.

• Winner 1
  • Coordinator
Coordinator

I love roleplay

• Agree 1
  • Informative 1
  • Dumb 1
3 hours ago, Sixta said:

but what else is passive RP for Jedi! they love sitting still for 5 hours! it beats bhopping for 5 hours!

• Agree 2
  • Confused 1
  • Dumb 1

Longest Special Operations Member on the server.
 Current: Jedi Chief Instructor l Alpha 98 Nate
Former: Cin Drallig l First Yayax Squad Yover l Foxtrot Commando l 2nd GM BCMD Bacara l Serra Keto Final SO Commander Jet l First & Last Devil Dogs Deadeye l Veteran Admin l Jedi General Plo Koon l 2nd Returning SO CMD Jet l Luminara Unduli l Wolfpack MAJ Boost l Kit Fisto l Trauma's Unit MED Mystic l Jedi Military Advisor l Omega 36 PVT Darman l High General Shaak Ti
929b4e909812caa69dc35d62f2db974e.gif?ex=

The state of roleplay has improved a bit owed to the fact that were have leaders who genuinely do give a shit about it now.

Now that I think about it, I wouldn't be actually surprised if there was passive RP still going on, but it was isolated from the rest of the server in some way. Because the way I see it is that people either just aren't doing it at all and will always need that push or are doing it but only with their battalions and squads. I think this concept of familiarity is something that may be widespread on the server because... for some reason... we may have people who think that people will call them cringe if they take to public comms RP or RP in open spaces. If that's the case, it may a problem with the world in general since no one is allowed to be passionate about anything without being called cringe. And I do know this was a mentality on the server before so maybe, if this is occurring, it was hammered into their skulls that open RP is cringe and thus they don't want to do it out of fear of being considered such. Even on a roleplay server.

It also makes me develop this new theory that it's maybe less of a question of encouraging passive RP and more encouraging people to come out of their shell and validate them for enjoying the passtime that the server was made for.

• Pay Respect 1

The Reprehensible Ratio!

#RemoveJedi

#RenameRancorToARC

It's a new feeling, but I'm actually hopeful for the future of Synergy. The roleplay and activity has improved leaps and bounds since I came back (after a month of being gone). I genuinely enjoy getting on. It's not running around the base looking for a deployment, now there is ALWAYS roleplay. It's not always super serious, but that's part of the charm. EVERYONE is roleplaying.

Keep this up! This momentum is good! We can make Synergy awesome.

Current: Navy RDC SCPO Greg
Former: GM DD MEDL MAJ Jedi Chief Instructor, Ki-Adi-Mundi, Jocatsa Nu, Barris offee Jar Jar Binks

I love pitbull

• Agree 3
  • Pay Respect 1
  • Dumb 2

Future Dev Team Assistant
Current:
CT PVT Alpha-14 Tec :sittingred:
Former: Fleet Admiral Wullf Yularen, Navy Clone Rear Admiral Tec, Chief of Engineering x2, Jedi Knight Etain Tur-Mukan, Null 7 LT Mereel , 104th Command Sergeant Major Command Sergeant Major, Intel Director of the 104th, Republic Navy, Coruscant Guard, 41st, and 501st, Admin, GM for a Week

• Coordinator
Coordinator
2 hours ago, Tec said:

I love pitbull

Mr. 305.. Mr. World Wide. He truly is a roleplaying inspriation. 

• Winner 1

Both @TessaKittyand myself are ever encouraging Passive RP within CG and encouraging passive RP with other battalions and other people within the server. I believe that the server is slowly getting there but it is something that takes a lot of time and a lot of dedicated people to bring it back to almost a "Serious RP" setting. 
I believe once the server hits around 100 pop on a near consistant basis I believe most of this Passive RP will come back naturally, but again this will all take due time.

I have personally seen a lot of amazing Passive RP during both events and downtime, senior members of Battalions just need to encourage their team to go do more passive RP, whether or not thats more trainings or even going out of your way to do extra things.
I.E, 41st getting permission to go on an event job and doing Translation things, or CG doing licence and weapons inspections.

Thats my 10 cents and im sorry if it doesn't make much sense, im still waking up

Current: Retired
Former: 2019/2020 Hound, Thorn, TKL, ARCL SGT-CMD - First and Last Commander Grey, CG XO Broadside

Banned

I've been having more of a kick with RP now, then I've ever had in the past 6 or so years I've played SWRP.

Playing on my trandoshan would have been turned away as cringe back when, so it says a lot that people are actually willing to stop and interact with it now compared to how they would have acted prior.

Additionally, I've seen a lot of people stepping out of their shell as of late and doing their best to try to stay in character, even if OOC shit happens that wasn't intentional. It always creates super fun and memorable moments, and when people actually put the effort towards making the RP mean/lead something, it's the most gratifying feeling in that moment and makes you wanna come back for more. That's something the server needs, that drive and that desire that makes you actually want to hop on and do that all over again.

On 9/5/2022 at 3:19 PM, Xaze said:

Mr. 305.. Mr. World Wide. He truly is a roleplaying inspriation. 

That he is

Future Dev Team Assistant
Current:
CT PVT Alpha-14 Tec :sittingred:
Former: Fleet Admiral Wullf Yularen, Navy Clone Rear Admiral Tec, Chief of Engineering x2, Jedi Knight Etain Tur-Mukan, Null 7 LT Mereel , 104th Command Sergeant Major Command Sergeant Major, Intel Director of the 104th, Republic Navy, Coruscant Guard, 41st, and 501st, Admin, GM for a Week