More Serious Roleplay?!

Do we think the server would benefit from more serious roleplay?  

59 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Coordinator
Coordinator

From the Office of High Command

7/27/2022

From the Office of the Marshal - Xaze

General Updates:

Hi! I want to poll the community. We've received lots of suggestions to increase the seriousness of roleplay. I pose the question, do we feel we need to increase the standard of roleplay on the server? Please vote, and provide a reason in the comments.

Roleplayer of the Week:

@BigBoss Congratz Grounkle! You've received Roleplayer of the week for promoting lots of Passive RP. Multiple High Command members chose you instantly when I asked. Please see me for your reward.

Clone Updates:

Two Regimental & four BCMD positions are open. We've had many positions open recently, and I'd love to see more interaction and applications.

Navy Updates:

This week the Navy has been working on updating documents for the Onderon map. Our CMO, CoE, and the ENGM have finished the MED and Engineering documents, which should be done within the next week. A new officer has been put in place along with a new CMO & MEDM. Over the next week or so, we'll be working on finishing up the rest of our documents, including ATC and flight, in order to work and be up to date with the new map.

Jedi Updates:

Jedi have become true monks this week! Unfortunately, due to development reasons, Light sabers have been removed for a day.

Don't forget Grand Master of the Order Yoda is open for application!

Guild Updates:

No updates here

Senate:

The Senate has finished revamping its 3 Committees and is ready to finally move onto the Senate Guard and give it some life. The Senate is also looking to fill the leads of 2 Committees; Overall, the Senate is in a good spot.

Notes

As always, I am more than happy to talk in TS or discord about anything. Just send me a message!

Edited by Xaze

having like full on seriousRP wouldn't work knowing the people in this community, and if anything id say it should be a more situational seriousRP server where events and such should be full on seriousRP, like strict no dumbass shit, but downtime of course do what you want which i mean should go without saying i hope that it'd be like that, but just going full on seriousRP regardless of whats going on would please and displease some people, it honestly depends, but you know this is my two cents, but personally i dont care

• Agree 8

“I’m not toxic, It’s just hard not to treat you like an idiot” ~ Logic

spacer.png

I would like to see more serious RP during events (particularly in TS) and dealing with cross-batt trainings; do what you want in barracks and mess hall but it just devolves into a seniority based old boys club if we don't enforce standards of behavior and language from top to bottom.

We always used to do OOC stuff in bunks and OOC lounge and everywhere else was basically a 7/10 RP and events were serious.  Perfectly in balance, as all things should be.

• Agree 2
  • Winner 1

I believe it should be pushed during peak hour events. But full on seriousRP would plow some of the active players like Piff said.

Longest Special Operations Member on the server.
 Current: Jedi Chief Instructor Shaak Ti
Former: Cin Drallig l First Yayax Squad Yover l Foxtrot Commando l 2nd GM BCMD Bacara l Serra Keto Final SO Commander Jet l First & Last Devil Dogs Deadeye l Veteran Admin l Jedi General Plo Koon l 2nd Returning SO CMD Jet l Luminara Unduli l Wolfpack MAJ Boost l Kit Fisto l Trauma's Unit MED Mystic l Jedi Military Advisor l Omega 36 PVT Darman

929b4e909812caa69dc35d62f2db974e.gif?ex=

Mazen made an excellent point earlier. We should focus on rebranding, rather than rule-changing. That way, the mindset changes, but we aren't bogged down in the foolish mechanics of "Do we allow BHopping? Jetpacking indoors?" Etc. 

Because, at the end of the day, the most powerful thing is community mindset.
It isn't High Staff, it isn't High Command, it's the community's mindset. Our culture.

It has the ability to either completely embrace or reject any change. To bring in waves of new people, or to ward them away. 

And if we, as a community, shift towards a more serious mindset, then our goals will be fully achieved, at least for roleplay. Because that's the thing. We can make this change- we just need to change our perception of Synergy's main server as a whole; a place for being in character, for exploring the star wars universe in our own corner of the galaxy.

It ain't about rules. Never has been. It's about how we treat the experience. Are we going to treat it like that, an experience, or are we going to leave this idea in the dust?

I think it's easy. Not on the whole, but for all of us as individuals. 

All of us can do this.

And it's as easy as this; I'll give you an example.

CT PVT 2001 is walking down the hallway. He's new to Synergy. You're standing a couple yards away, and you notice that this new fella seems to be a bit lost. Here's the catch. You don't just ignore him now, you say "Hey there, Shiny- looking a bit confused. Were you on the last batch they sent from the Core Sector? I'll show you around."

And just like that, CT PVT 2001's Synergy experience has started off with 3 key things. Someone interacted with him, it was in character, and they showed him genuine kindness, without having to fuck around about it. And now CT PVT 2001 is infinitely more likely to stick around and enjoy our server.

Here's another one.

SGT Gaff is walking around the courtyard when he sees a B1 Battle droid a ways outside the main gate. Instead of running towards it, not saying a word, opening fire on it and doing the simple "/comms Droids outside main gate!", SGT Gaff says the Lieutenant next to him "Sir- a droid! Up on that hill- 246. Should I show 'em what for?"

All I changed was a single action. But instead of engaging in a mindless cycle of point-click boredom, the Sergeant has created something for himself, the Lieutenant, and even the damn Gamemaster. Because then the Lieutenant could respond in any matter of ways. He could give orders, he could tell his officer, he could shout and run for cover-

but all of those things would be in character. They're so small, but they add so much depth

Just,

Think about it! The next time you see a CT Private walking down a hallway, give him something more than just a Hello. Give him a little experience. Because that's what Synergy is.

The experience.

• Agree 4
  • Winner 6

Was I a good Ahsoka Tano? Call 1-800-HOWSMYRP!

ff337e5ae083ae69e64e66c76a2ed4e4f9d4760c

more seriousness and roleplay is needed.

almost all events and/or encounters are a shoot that thing and go to debrief immediately after. even something as simple as a defcon 4 is barely used anymore as everyone knows, "everything is clear, i'm not going to waste my time investigating." .. once debrief does actually happen, almost every time there's always someone minging, whether it's an officer equiv on the stand or someone on the bleachers, like shouting out the entire server, or the whole 'this battalion does not have any promotions'. and newer players see this and start to mimic that kind of behavior, which just recycles within a few months.

- due to a lack of communication, investigation, or both, some players don't even know that an event is actually happening. so someone may request reinforcements and you'll answer that only to be told to go back in and request ptl, even though there's a malevolence in the sky, right next to us, with laser bolts being heard, droids being seen. 

roleplay could be really fun, i had fun in this encounter a few days ago and it was really nice. however, for the people that initiate a roleplay scenario, say someone doing a medbay check-up, if no one shows up or complains about it throughout the whole thing, this just makes the host want to do roleplay even less. roleplay is seen as cringe, yet we're all on a swrp server. so when we don't participate in a gm's event or a player-initiated roleplay with even a bit of effort (or even at all), we might as well just be spitting on them.

as mavelle said, interacting with someone increases their chances of staying on the server, but this may be applied even outside of roleplay. one example of this is @Oshava where we were just battalion members in shadow company and proceeded to become friends for a handful of years afterwards. 

another thing i see is the enabling or encouragement of minges. it might just be the server, the battalions and how they handle things, or both. it might be at an nco level, or officer level - it gets even worse the higher the rank. as soon as a new player sees a major making a joke of everything and minging around, that player is going to mimic that behavior. even more so if that player is surrounded by people who minge without repercussions. that's more out of roleplay, but can sometimes be seen without roleplay events such as a deployment or training, which in my opinion just ruins whatever is happening.

dont remember who said it, but synergy is darkrp but without the printers and p2w jobs.

• Agree 2

So my official vote would be to have more Serious RP especially during events and trainings like others have stated above it has become lackluster during events and almost every time and event occurs no one has no idea what is going on. the GM just goes with the flow and it becomes a hold CTRL, and left click event. Communication amongst other batts, is almost GONE, like no one hardly ever communicates with each other anymore, everyone seems to just do their own thing and I think, like Mavelle said rebranding is definitely something that needs to take place.

I know I had a short Gree term but one thing did come out of it which I was very proud for, I noticed that 41st wasn't the best at rping or when an opportunity came up no one had any idea of what to do, or what to say ie the "/comms droids outside main gate" that mavelle stated. so I started to enforce amongst other HC of 41st what I called the 7/10 rule. Oshava and Chysko have already talked about it on the post bc, it was in fact very effective and I will go into detail what it means and how maybe other BCMDs could enforce it as well.

The infamous 7/10 rule:
It's really not super hard to implement, the 7/10 rule is enforcing 7/10 "RP WISE" during events and trainings and as well as normal interactions with other battalion, aka while you are joining the server an RP SERVER you will / have accepted that "YES I WILL BE RPING TODAY" so we stated in 41st that if you are in game you will stay in character while you are on the server, UNLESS: you are in TS and no event is happening aka Battle Comms are not active. Second your battalion is doing a training with itself. So basically we made it where if your battalion is doing something on its own you could mess around a little more because you are trying to make friends and battalions want their members to have fun when they join. So essentially if there was interactions possible with other battalions aka like meeting in the lobby or in the CY etc, you were told to stay 7/10 and maybe that sounds cringe to you but it worked and was PROVEN effective in the battalion. You can name it what ever you want but I saw people as Gree grow into some amazing rpers and most importantly just grow overall in the server. enforcing that made relations with other battalions so much better because you showed general respect to them and didn't walk up "what up gang tryna run a training with me" it was "excuse me sir, I am a SGT in the 41st and I was wondering if some of your troopers would like to run an attack and defense simulation in the citadel" MEMBERS were literally walking around saying those things during this rule / concept we had in place, it was amazing, not to mention people were motivated to participate due to some incentives we had IE RPer of the Week. we gave people a purpose to RP and if someone didn't know how we helped them be more creative.

Overall something like this can only happen from HC in the Battalions and especially HC on the server. I prob will be dogged for this but oh well gonna say it anyways: I am in no shape or form perfect in my performance I would say I definitely haven't kept my RP 7/10 myself lately, yet I strive to every day to be an impact to people positively and try to encourage others to RP. I know my time as Kit Fisto impacted a lot of people and people STILL tell me to "use the voice" might even have to tutor some people someday because its not so easy... @Conrad but hes on a new chapter anyways now LOL "SKY-Guy". Okay my point is, server leadership has joined the server several times bc ofc why wouldn't they and in my case I have noticed that HC of the server still doesn't keep the RP in their mind sometimes too. If they were to enforce more of a serious rp, which as looking at this feedback most of the server supports, people would be more encouraged to participate and HC of battalions would start "hopefully" following them as well.

It starts small, ENFORCE absolutely PTS is active in DB and even if its a senator and they talk out of line give them that warning, when people see CG do their job in something like DB they will get more respect from the people who actually care about RP and people also will learn "crap this actually will get me arrested" and it will go back to the only people talking out of line might be a Minge CT running up to the stand. < this even for me has bothered me, only person who should talk out of line should be the person running the DB in case he messed up or needs to say again who's PTS it is now.

Another thing for High Command: You guys are looked so highly upon to so many people on the server. i know when i first joined and i saw a Founder was online I had to sit up straight and try my best when they were around because their opinion to me at least mattered to me. SO High Command most of you do a great job but if you guys join the server, RP with people, RP scenarios people will look at that and be like okay that's so cool and learn from you. HC when you are on evoke rp with other battalions if you can and when an event starts make sure people are doing what they should be and oversee what others are doing and interact with a battalion you see not getting much love.

Alright that's enough from me

PS: If RPing more would limit you aka you wouldn't wanna participate you are playing an RP server IDK what else to say to that...if it limits you, find ways to be more creative, if you're a lore character look up ways they acted. If you're not a lore character do your best and if you want guidance go to someone like Mavelle that man speaks English in RP so...

Edited by Tomm
  • Agree 1
14 hours ago, Piff said:

having like full on seriousRP wouldn't work knowing the people in this community, and if anything id say it should be a more situational seriousRP server where events and such should be full on seriousRP, like strict no dumbass shit, but downtime of course do what you want which i mean should go without saying i hope that it'd be like that, but just going full on seriousRP regardless of whats going on would please and displease some people, it honestly depends, but you know this is my two cents, but personally i dont care

That’s how it used to be a long time ago, events and all that such were regarded as a time to be more serious and roleplay while during down time a lot of people spent time just chatting and hanging out. You still had expectations to roleplay to some extent even during down time which is why we had an OOC lounge where anything that wasn’t breaking the rules was allowed.

I think my RP as Wrecker recently was my favorite balance of Serious Rp and not being Rule following rp. Me and Mavelle would stay in character but break a few things that pushed the rules, like PTS in cases it made sense for the character to do. It was the most fun I had on the server in a while and I wish most people could do it.

• Agree 1

🌓🌙

This may sound radical but maybe we need to start making people who are actually in charge of RP. We all know that the chancellor is the "Director of RP", But having OOC positions that could be in high staff or just a complete different branch of staff that actually enforce RP may be a good idea, I know that the GM team already could be labeled as this but this would be completely different and have a whole different vibe to it. Directing roleplay is quite a radical idea but if done at a subtle rate without completely obstructing everything it could work really well, Because all roleplay is subjective but the idea of "SeriousRP" makes it sound like roleplay needs some sort of boundaries.

• Agree 2
  • Dumb 1

Whataburger

Why is my reputation so low?

5 minutes ago, Whataburger said:

This may sound radical but maybe we need to start making people who are actually in charge of RP. We all know that the chancellor is the "Director of RP", But having OOC positions that could be in high staff or just a complete different branch of staff that actually enforce RP may be a good idea, I know that the GM team already could be labeled as this but this would be completely different and have a whole different vibe to it. Directing roleplay is quite a radical idea but if done at a subtle rate without completely obstructing everything it could work really well, Because all roleplay is subjective but the idea of "SeriousRP" makes it sound like roleplay needs some sort of boundaries.

The people that are supposed to enforce rp is shock but they been lacking when people break rules in front of them, I’ll rdm then say “he was a commando droid!” then they’ll believe me

spacer.png

31 minutes ago, Whataburger said:

Sent this in the HA channel the second I saw it. I will oversee the possible development of a system like this with great interest. Maybe not "Enforce", but... influence? Develop? I don't know!

aerdPGj_460s.jpg

Was I a good Ahsoka Tano? Call 1-800-HOWSMYRP!

ff337e5ae083ae69e64e66c76a2ed4e4f9d4760c

1 hour ago, A-a-ron said:

The people that are supposed to enforce rp is shock but they been lacking when people break rules in front of them, I’ll rdm then say “he was a commando droid!” then they’ll believe me

You're part of a problem if you witness such situation and not report them further up the chain of command of CG.

It's a individual batallion responsibillity so RP happens within their batallions. During off event times people talk with each other, do tryouts and trainings, CG wont go to people say go patrol the base as it's not how this server functions. During events CG has their part to play just like every other  batallion, everyone got their own officer, commanders etc to make sure that they follow their trainings during events and that they behave if they end up breaking rules people witnessing that are Ensign, WO, Knight and CG, Staff have the responsibillity to AOS/RAOS those that break rules. The example given is like the easiest situation ever to handle ever and honestly a situation like that would be instant AOS  if any of the people were present that I named that can call AOS and even then the lower ranks will call RAOS, it feels like you didnt put enough effort and kinda just thought of a stupid situation to belittle CG  ong.

To add to this, I'd like to say that CG always has and will have room to improve, but the same goes for all other batallions as the server is a ongoing project that hast lasted for several years now and many people came and went and things have changed a lot, for example before accident rdm would be instant arrest now it's not, CG also wants to stay in touch with other batallions and that's what server leadership wanted too when they changed arrest rules or added more warnings to certain offences etc, those kind of things happen for reasons like player retention and giving people a chance to change their mindset on the server, wether it works or doesn't I don't think it works on majority of minges,  as  most of them are deadset on their objective. but it might give opportunity to others to realise and behave. 

Edited by Opa

I don't think that RP can be serious to full/complete capacity because I've witnessed firsthand how skewed the mentality of "serious roleplayers" can get on both this server and others (myself included since I've made mistakes in pursuit of this). It would require a complete overhaul from how the people up top act because they're either apathetic or participating in minging themselves. At the very least, I think that someone could start with these three specific things to get things under some semblance of "order" again.

1. Make Coruscant Guard and Temple Guard actually enforce the rules and discipline them if they neglect to do so because they signed up for it. I'm not saying you have to demote or remove them, just talk to them and tell them how to do their jobs.

2. Take RDM more seriously. I shouldn't be able to set someone on fire in a public area and get away with it.

3. Stop talking in debrief. There's a designated speaker and you can save your attempt at being funny for the PTS section.

Two out of three of these things are very simple and things people can start doing immediately, and in general would improve the roleplay experience. I don't care if people b-hop, goof around, or jetpack all over the place. I just think that there's a time and a place for everything.

• Agree 4
  • Winner 1

The Reprehensible Ratio!

#RemoveJedi

#RenameRancorToARC

On 7/27/2022 at 9:03 PM, Piff said:

I agree with what this guy said. Full on. I think it'd be a great compromise between full-serious and semi-serious RP. Way before, I'd support returning to a full serious RP, but because of the current nature of the players who are more in favour of semi-serious RP, it just wouldn't work in my eyes (sorry if it seems like I'm just rewriting what the guy had already said, not my intention). In events and encounters where you'd expect players to take it more seriously, most of the time it just blows up in your (players and GMs) face and you have to end up changing up certain things to keep things interesting and engaging for the players' sake. Events can get ruined by players and even GMs not taking it seriously (enough) or just messing around too much and causing catastrophe for themselves (RP-wise or literal server-wise catastrophe). But during downtime, I just want to relax, and when it comes down to training, of course, be serious about it. But for the most part, I think when it's downtime it should just be semi-serious. Enforcing more seriousness only during events/encounters, while remaining the usual during downtime seems like a good compromise for everyone. But we'll have to wait and see how that goes, hypothetically speaking.