Building in Gmod for idiots

Forum Admin

No but I have some advice!

Use any tool physically available in the workshop. You don't know which one will come of use to you until you try it.

Always use reference pictures when re-creating something.Β 

Try to avoid box like figures on anything that isn't.Β 

Match what you are attempting to build with the map you want to place it on. This includes matching material, color, location, size, etc.

If you don't use the grid snap on your phys-gun (shift - leftclick), prepare to have a lopsided build.

BE CREATIVE!!! Use props for their dynamic features. Recreate your atmosphere through shifting the terrain. Props can be used in place of plastic in nearly every scenario, and when materialed they usually don't reproduce the same pattern over and over again.

This may sound corny but understand what exactly what you are making, and the feeling you want it to encompass. Match that energy through the props you use.

Hope this helps.

• Winner 2

πŸŽ€ Β π™΅πšŠπš›πš πš‚πš–πšŽπš•πš•πšŠ Β πŸŽ€
<3

Stacker tool

Precision tool

No colide tool

Always snap props into place with the phys gun, if you want more precise angles than 45 degree incriments use advdupe2 tool with offsets set

Don't compensate for a big wall or something with multiple smaller props, use the prop closest to the size of whatever it's needed for preferabely bigger rather than smaller.

Don't get caught up in little details unless you're making a dupe that's purely for show, people often use more small props on the interior of their dupes than the larger props that actually make up the most important parts of it.

Β 

Why tf cant you upload images to forums this shit dumb asf

• 4 weeks later...

imma give my 2 cents

use weld

precision was mentioned, just make sure u use snap precision so u dont have to dick around and click 2million times to get something flush

when using ur phys gun u can hold E to move props around (either with your mouse or WASD)
OR
you can use SHIFT + E to snap props into placeΒ 

preferably i build out of noclip bc noclip is p dogshit way to see ur angles (because not everyone will see ur build from sky level, it will be from the ground)

also just look at YT and practice, i got started by building gun shops in DarkRP before there was automated ones.

or just go into gm_construct and try and crash your game, works pretty well

• Informative 1

most active inactive for 4 months cg/ds to ever grace synergy

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...