Weapon and Roleplay Question.

Forum Admin

I am bringing this up cause I am quite curious. A conversation was stirred about the utility of weapons, in direct relation to roleplay. In particular, the usage of lore accurate weapons for each character..

Given that one could go back in time and change the course SWRP as we know it, would anyone rather remove all forms of permanent / custom weapons, opting for a completely standardized system across the board in relation to  the use of weapons? Or maybe even custom weapons per job, all satisfying their direct utility and nature ( Engineer's get DP-23 with buffed damage, Officer's get buffed pistol's, Troopers have bufffed DC-17s, etc.)

This post is not to say that there is any glaring issue with the nature of our current system, merely curious about the communities want/need for restriction to promote accuracy/enjoyment in a perfect world.

Edited by Guac
  • Agree 1

🎀  𝙵𝚊𝚛𝚝 𝚂𝚖𝚎𝚕𝚕𝚊  🎀
<3

So the discussion with permanent weapons honestly isn't about jobs at all IMO. When you look at SWRP as with any other server that has hosting charges and need development you need to look at how can you monetize the system so that you can keep the server going and put updates out. Guns are one of if not the easiest thing to add as a way to incentivize donations. We don't have a lot of other things you can sell besides equipables, i know some servers have body grouper things but from  some discussions I've heard i think these systems cause a lot of lag and server strain (could be wrong just what i kinda remember). Outside of those two things the only thing i can think of is more sweps, so if you want SWRP to be more like fortnite i guess you could go that route. Or we could be icefuse and you have to pay to be High Command, and have 7 different VIP tiers. With that being said I think perma weapons as a way to incentivize donations is one of the better ones.

Edited by Conrad

spacer.pngspacer.png

I'm looking at this from a totally personal perspective.  So I really enjoy the uniqueness of how players can act on the server.  I believe it's one of our greatest charms when you compare to others are the high level we benchmark ourselves to.  The ability to save up the credits or in fact buy them, allows me the satisfaction to own whichever permanent weapon I want to own at the time, or even just use.  I love feeling a tad bit different from folks using a DC-15S that is buffed & shoots red blaster bolts instead of being a tad bit weaker & shooting blue.  Being uniform is nice to a point for me, I used to take a stand wanting standardizations but I thought the liberty of everything and being able to do whatever you want with your load out is more fun.  Would I go back and change SWRP?  Maybe in different aspects like getting people to develop other things in GMOD or whatever, but changing up the weapons not really. 

• Informative 1

People Who Put Their Former Ranks In Their Signature Are Idiots!

spacer.png
Community Liaison - Discord Boo Radley#2719

Feel free to message me if you're having any issues!

I would keep the perma weapons system, but as for standardization I agree heavily with the "Per class" vs the "Battalionization" approach. The firearms Naval officers carried, in lore, were not simple DC-17 pistols much of the time. They often opted to carry much more powerful sidearms, engineers and pilots had their shotguns, ARF units had their DC15X, etc. If I could go back in time, or going ahead into the future, I would choose to standardize battalions per class. So, like you suggested, Lore accurate buffs on characters, lore accurate kits, and lore accurate battalion buffs. (Ex, Engineers get a more powerful DP24 variant but are a specialized sub-job of pilot (akin to HVO), Officers/BCMDs get buffed DC17s, "Standard"/unnamed troopers in subunits get a buffed variant of the DC15A/DC15S,  etc). Battalion buffs would manifest in Role buffs, 21st gets a +5 to boarding roles, CG gets a +5 to detainment roles, etc 

Former: A lot of shit dude

• 2 weeks later...

My personal issue isn't with the perma-weapons themselves, but which weapons are decided to be put as permaweapons and which ones are class weapons. I always thought it was a bit limiting that certain weapon groups (specifically the different grenades) couldn't be utilized in kits instead of immediately being monetized. A few months ago, ARF/ARC lost access to their rockets and we didn't get to implement the mortar system we hoped for. What could have been nice is potentially giving ARF access to smoke grenades and ARC access to the thermal dets. Diox and Bacta could still remain on storefront as they're quite strong. But now they're implemented as they are, it'd be too late to really go back and revisit this line of thought even if the playerbase wanted it. Just seems a waste of potential. Similar things like the silenced DC-15s and modified DC-15a.

As for whether I think it'd be interesting to see improved variants among certain jobs, I think it could be a good idea but a potential balancing nightmare. The question is how one would be able to balance the DP-23 versus the DC-17s versus the the DC-15a if perma weapons were removed. These are all different weapon groups that theoretically play different roles on the battlefield. But in actuality, lethality in combat tends to be low (you might fight droids at 150 or 500 depending how many players are online) so that it feels like you'll have to really lay into droids with as much damage as you can in the shortest amount of time (preferably without dying yourself). 

Another question comes as how to balance this against other prevalent server roles. If we adjust trooper damage of base kits and remove permas, will Jedi health values need to be adjusted? Will BHs (both friendly and hostile) also need to receive adjustments that can make them still capable of accomplishing their jobs without the assistance of store weapons (typically, a good store weapon in the hands of a good player can enable them to potentially 1v3-5 others while the base kit weapons for hunters are pretty so-so). 

Not really weighing in on one side or another, but I think that these are important topics to discuss.

• Winner 1

Former 21st

Formerly known as CastleClone