Is this legal? : Bank Robbing edition

TheCyan

This is NOT me seeking legal advice NOR is it me attempting to report a crime or anything like that.

As soon as I turned 18, my mother and I made a bank account for myself. She's like a co- on the account (or whatever you call that) so she sees everything and likes to deposit me money instead of handing it to me for whatever I needed. After I moved off to college, she decided to start putting parts of the money I had saved up (she doesnt trust banks, she's been keeping it in cash in a suitcase). Over the phone, she got mad at me and said she would air out my account. Lo and behold I check my account a few hours after the phone call and I now have 0 dollars (was at about 900 dollars). 

Is this legal? Seems kinda illegal though.

And I don't get paid for another week :,(

Edited by TheCyan
  • Friendly 2
  • Pay Respect 3

I used to play this server for too many hours at a time.

Banned
4 minutes ago, TheCyan said:

This is NOT me seeking legal advice NOR is it me attempting to report a crime or anything like that.

As soon as I turned 18, my mother and I made a bank account for myself. She's like a co- on the account (or whatever you call that) so she sees everything and likes to deposit me money instead of handing it to me for whatever I needed. After I moved off to college, she decided to start putting parts of the money I had saved up (she doesnt trust banks, she's been keeping it in cash in a suitcase). Over the phone, she got mad at me and said she would air out my account. Lo and behold I check my account a few hours after the phone call and I now have 0 dollars (was at about 900 dollars). 

Idk what bank you’re with, but here in Canada, if you have a joint bank account with someone (no matter who) and they drain it, it’s completely legal. 

I’d recommend calling your bank and making your own account without anyone having access with it. 

Edited by Sixta
  • Confused 1

r4ymo.gif

If you have a joint bank account with your mom and you're both capable of depositing and withdrawing money then yeah, she can probably totally do that and it's completely legal. When I turned 18 my parents had me open my own bank account that they don't even have access to, that's what I'd recommend doing for yourself as well. If your mom wants to give you money she can write you a check. 

• Agree 1
Banned
3 minutes ago, TheCyan said:

I'm with Chase bank. And also
spacer.png

Then yes it’s legal. 

r4ymo.gif

2 hours ago, TheCyan said:

And I don't get paid for another week :,(

I really hate to be like this, but this will help you later in life. Never trust your mother again with financial things. Period. Get your documents like your birth certificate, SSN card, ect. As much as you can. Put everything in your own thing with only your name. If your mother is willing to do this to you, you can from now on assume nothing positive will every come from her having any control over your financials. That being said I can't speak as to if its legal or not without knowing your state at the very least.

Edit: Reason behing getting the documents, if you can't trust her for this, whats stopping her from opening loans in your name, taking the money, and not paying, which if you can't catch it can actually just ruin your life.

Edited by Conrad
  • Agree 2
  • Winner 4

spacer.pngspacer.png

57 minutes ago, Conrad said:

I really hate to be like this, but this will help you later in life. Never trust your mother again with financial things. Period. Get your documents like your birth certificate, SSN card, ect. As much as you can. Put everything in your own thing with only your name. If your mother is willing to do this to you, you can from now on assume nothing positive will every come from her having any control over your financials. That being said I can't speak as to if its legal or not without knowing your state at the very least.

Edit: Reason behing getting the documents, if you can't trust her for this, whats stopping her from opening loans in your name, taking the money, and not paying, which if you can't catch it can actually just ruin your life.

Truly, we live in a society. Thanks Conrad and eventually needs to happen anyway right. 

Society.

• Friendly 1

I used to play this server for too many hours at a time.