An Experiment.... Pt. I

Mavelle

I am writing this as I play the event, this will be in chronological order of the events that happened during this event. Because of this it'll be a little bit bullet point style of things I want to comment on as i go through the event.

• Wanna start it off with some of the intro stuff we did. Thank you for kind of laying out how this event is supposed to be slower, I've learned never to assume players will do what you want, you must explicit tell them. Our starting spawn location was well put together, good use of the props to make it feel like a ship. A little pepega at the start with the ship like disappearing or something, but you guys seemed to make out alright, i feel like the ship and hanger laat dupe thing could have been combined a bit better. Give us some ways to see out of the ship, as well as just a hallway instead of witcher portal, however I didn't look at the dupe too closely so I don't know if this was a prefab or something.
  • Once we landed enjoyed talking with the other battalions and getting a brief game plan. The music for this starting point was perfect, felt like the intro to a adventure game with low music and good nature sounds. I enjoyed finding caches of stuff around the map, gave exploration a real reason, instead of just saying "hey take your time" you actually made us take our time by giving us things to find, if theirs no reason to slow down and actually see what we can find whats the point of saying "slow down" other then to just draw your event out.
  • Up till the point of exploration so far we've had no incredible lag, good work keeping us interested through exploration vs through combat. If you had gone the other route we might not have had any real event to participate in.
  • Coming a little bit into this event, i feel like this would be a bit better for two battalions instead of 3, with 3 it felt like a bit too little to do for each group, and we spent some time just kind of wandering. However once we did find something (the big down ship) this one wasn't very rewarding feeling. A lot of troopers came back with a "we found nothing". A ship of this size feels like it should drive us pretty hard, was disappointed in how it was utilized TBH.
  • Getting on intercom for an OOC announcement, immersion completely ruined. Sad day.
  • I tried to generate some role play in the basis of "take your time and enjoy the day" in the form of sending some troops out to hunt for dinner, taking the time to cook it and what not. While the staff team was accommodating and helped push that it feels like none of the troopers wished to engage in this more peaceful RP, which was very disappointing to me. I think these smaller interactions are what make these longer events IMO. For the admins perhaps a good way to teach people to do these things more naturally would be to reward them positively for interacting with each other, be that through perhaps setting their health above maximum as a "well fed" bonus or something like that.
  • I feel like the role play suffered because of us setting up 3 FOB's. We had people so spread out I had a large time where i interacted with very few people, this is kind of a jab to the player base to keep things centralized, this allows for more interactions across the board and for us to meet and talk in person instead of in comms.
  • That being said in this middle part I am impressed by the game masters ability to keep up with all the small groups. We had groups of 2-3, some almost full battalions, me running around by myself, ect and it felt like they never made anyone wait too long which is very impressive with this scale of event.
  • I just gotta shout mavelle out for the great taste in music, because he's always the music guy. Didn't even have to ask who it was, just almost certain it was him.
  • At this point I'm starting to notice some down sides to this map, mainly being the lack of good propped areas to interact with. Since the map is a bit laggy i feel like you guys limited yourself to smaller things throughout the map, in return to a couple of large BAM things (crashed ships). Personally I think more smaller things fills the world more and makes it more organic, as well as allowing jake and mavelle to really show their craft as some of the best builders synergy has ever seen. A bit disappointed in the usage of props, while not awful, definitely not a very high point for me.
  • I kinda take the thing about building back, while the ship crashed in the water is a waste of props IMO this underground base you guys made under the map, that shit is cool. More shit like this, spread shit like this, push shit like this, share this dupe i LOVED this part.
  • Well get this I found a super experiment tech, and I did the anakin thing. Thank you for letting me do the anakin thing, you guys never disappoint me. Did it result in me dying, yes, did it result in countless troopers dying, yes. Was it what anakin would have done, yes. You guys rock.
  • Now we've landed back on our spawn ship, seeing this we could have had a much nicer spawn starting area with it all combined, disappointed in how the spawn looks i know mavelle and jack are better then this thing.

Overall this event was very solid, had some great points to it, had some sleepy boring parts to it. I would have liked to see a bit more in terms of interactive map things to push us forward, felt like we only had one real plot line. I would have liked a bit more in terms of passive interactions, reward us for those things, they're the most fun part the server has to offer IMO in events like this.

Edited by Conrad
  • Friendly 1

spacer.pngspacer.png

9/10 I loved my time being in the event. Loved doing the ENG RP on the tower, and like half way through we were told we were supposed to destroy it not repair it. Also loved doing TECH RP on that door, and getting lost at the very end of it lol, even though it was worthless.

I only joined during the last 20 minutes so I feel it unfair to give it an official rating. Of what I did experience, 7/10. Seems like it was a fun/good event.

"If you have time to think of a beautiful end, then live beautifully until the end." 

"A hero need not speak. For when he is gone, the world will speak for him." 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kZTMETl7Ga0&list=PL5Og0VYg8k2TnPDvarJa9Ijipx7W0Or0x

8/10 It was solid, pacing was a little off and there were quite a few times where we'd be doing our own thing as a battalion and then we'd be given orders to go somewhere else, just to find nothing at the spot we were sent to (lots of running around due to this). It was a good idea, but I think just a little bit more action could have been good (even though I'm normally not a big fan of overly-shooty-shooty events). Thanks for the event, I'd be interested in doing this again on another map.

Former:

Jedi Youngling