Bacta-2ndAC Deployment

Bacta

6/10

uncontrollable lag aside, really appreciated how "alive" the event felt. seeing everyone flying around and mounting separate assaults was cool.
although i felt lots of folks got confused on what to do at a certain point

6/10 It was alright, wish we had more background info, and I don't know that this was the best map to use for this event. This probably would have gone a lot smoother with 1 battalion, but it was cool to see so many troopers in the same regiment together.

Former:

Jedi Youngling

I'm going to give a 6/10 for a few reasons. 

I'll start this by saying that I love Bacta, he is one of my favourite people on the server and this is purely constructive criticism to help improve his future events.

1. Mechanical/Technical/Performance issues

This is a factor that is not in the GM's hands, but can be mitigated by careful GM playtesting. Due to the large scale When the map was wiped (with players still present), the server had a stable ping, with most having extremely good ping. Around 40-80. Every player on average had around 400~ ping. Shots would consistently not register,

Fighters were being spawned repeatedly, and were incredibly loud. You could not hear anything in game or over teamspeak without turning the game volume to a minimum. There were several up at any time, all AI, who would spawn, crash, respawn. They were meant to dogfight eachother, I believe. A good plan, however the execution failed due to the limited nature of ai, of which performance suffered heavily due to.

The map was incredibly bright. "Night-time" was introduced, which did nothing but make the game look slightly darker. Not dynamically, but rather just a blanket brightness decrease of about 20%. So it was still very bright. This is not a criticism as it is outside of GM control, but don't use this feature on the selected map again.

Some enemies were spawned in accidentally without weapons, and simply ran around instead of fighting back. They were not intended to be civilians.

There was invisible barriers in the mountains that prevented the use of jetpacks. This is not a criticism, as it is uncontrollable without manual map editing. 

Jetpacks caused major lag.

GM/Admin response time was prompt and of above-average quality, with only minor issues.

2. Combat

The combat was, even by courtyard-attack standards, sub-par. The enemies didn't attack or move often, had poor accuracy and high health and was generally unpleasant to engage with. My squad spent about 10 minutes clearing out enemies below a bridge that didn't shoot back, had high health, and only could use dc-15a's from a large distance. It was menial point and click. Moving forward to push wouldn't be difficult skill-wise, but the enemy would simply have more health and outlast you in combat, so you had to hold back. It's something that was very disappointing. The enemy variety was also non-existent, with the exception of the boardable ships. They had landing bays and all. It was very impressive and quite fun. Overall creativity and playtesting was needed here.

3. RP/Story

The story was very disconnected, and not very clear or complex. I don't mind events not being taken entirely seriously. I think they can often be better than serious events. But mixing the two together doesn't usually work. There were some "-1" times. The RP was below-average, and was at times non-existent due to the map being so large, and there not being a very linear path. If intentional, this could have been good, if the paths were made clear, and if there was side objectives to make the mindless shooting useful, as most of the enemies could have just been ignored while the objective was taken. There was nothing much besides shooting mindlessly, and the occasional duty as the medic. The difficulty had to be made much harder overall.

4. The scale of the event:

This part has some ups and downs. It is truly impressive how the sheer magnitude of the event created a great initial atmosphere, and immersion. Being with a full platoon of 2ndAC players (with some AI) really made this event good. The overwhelming amount of enemies with equal amounts of friendlies, the enemy ships being brought in as fighters dash all across the sky, it was very, very impressive that it was pulled off somewhat successfully. And to this, is the biggest credit. And yet, it is also it's biggest downfall. Due to the scale of the map, combat was long-range and dull, using only standard non-scoped weaponry also. Due to the scale of the AI, players, map size and dupes, performance of PC's and server decreased far more than what it should have been. This event pushed the limits of the resources too far, and was too ambitious. As a result, the ping was ridiculously high, and fps was up to 5x lower.

5. Extra:

Cody's angels were fun. Comms RP was good, but all from player-side.

Verdict:

So I believe that Bacta is aware of what went wrong here, but I thought I'd compile it so that he can improve upon on his next one. This was a good idea, but needed to be developed more of. Keep up the good work, and keep improving! You got this :)

• Winner 1