Opinions on "Squad-Based" Events

Merrill

So, I wanted to get some ideas/ opinions people have for Squad Based Events. What are Squad Based Events you ask?

Essesntially, what I mean by Squad Based Event is that, when deploying a battalion for a campaign or short series of missions, instead of deploying an entire battalion, you give the HC of said battalion a number of troopers to pick out and send on said mission. 

Example: I do a series of short story deployments for 41st. I let HC know that this is a stealth mission, tell them their squadsize maximum is 5-6, and tell them that intelligence from this mission will affect their next squad mission. They pick their troopers, send them out, and run background detail/oversee work from a Venator while their boys do their work. Obviously, they can also send themselves if the particular  mission warrants their skills.

The idea is, it helps with immersion, allows for more personal action with troopers since there are less to manage per "mission", and means that story can more easily progress/ be revealed.

Basically, how would y'all feel about these kind of events, what types of story/genre you want, what style of mission, etc?

Also if you got any interesting ideas to add to this concept, feel free to post them.

The guy who got drunk and pretended to be a vacuum for an hour

I find they are generally very fun and add an extra layer to a storyline. When I was making them I would do a recon portion or have them complete an objective, and then send in the entire battalion. 
It’s like Modern Warfare in a way. Send in Task force 141 to accomplish small objective and then once they do swap the smaller squad onto main force jobs for the main assault. Only issue is really that the rest of the battalion doesn’t want to sit and wait, so if you do one like this, I recommend getting the people who aren’t in the mission to hop in the battalions discord, and have one screen share the mission so they can follow the immersion, dialogue between people, and the story itself. It’s super underwhelming hearing that a recon mission was a success, because you didn’t see what went into it. Giving people the ability to watch them unfold will want people to aspire to get to higher ranks/subunits within a battalion so they can participate in the next one. 

Edited by Shockpoint
  • Informative 1

If you use the RC Shotgun you are automatically cringe.

1 hour ago, Shockpoint said:

I find they are generally very fun and add an extra layer to a storyline. When I was making them I would do a recon portion or have them complete an objective, and then send in the entire battalion. 
It’s like Modern Warfare in a way. Send in Task force 141 to accomplish small objective and then once they do swap the smaller squad onto main force jobs for the main assault. Only issue is really that the rest of the battalion doesn’t want to sit and wait, so if you do one like this, I recommend getting the people who aren’t in the mission to hop in the battalions discord, and have one screen share the mission so they can follow the immersion, dialogue between people, and the story itself. It’s super underwhelming hearing that a recon mission was a success, because you didn’t see what went into it. Giving people the ability to watch them unfold will want people to aspire to get to higher ranks/subunits within a battalion so they can participate in the next one. 

If you want opinions for squad/sub unit deployments listen to this fucker.

• Friendly 1

spacer.pngspacer.png