college

Forum Admin

So if you´re going back to school for 25k per year, and the average salary for a pharmacist tech is 36k, You can expect at an interest rate of 2.75% and monthly payment of 400$, youĺl pay off your debt in close to 31 years.

Now, if assuming you will be able to find a job RIGHT after college, you could assume that, with nothing changing, you would be paying 1200$ monthly. Giving yourself closer to 7 years until your debt being fully paid off.

This is all assuming you truly enjoy this field, and if you are willing to donate 14(ish) more years to grinding. This here takes no emotions into account and is just money, you do what you feel as though is right.

(PSA: if my math is wrong, im 16, gimme a break lmao)

Edited by Guac

🎀  𝙵𝚊𝚛𝚝 𝚂𝚖𝚎𝚕𝚕𝚊  🎀
<3

46 minutes ago, Guac said:

So if you´re going back to school for 25k per year, and the average salary for a pharmacist tech is 36k, You can expect at an interest rate of 2.75% and monthly payment of 400$, youĺl pay off your debt in close to 31 years.

Now, if assuming you will be able to find a job RIGHT after college, you could assume that, with nothing changing, you would be paying 1200$ monthly. Giving yourself closer to 7 years until your debt being fully paid off.

This is all assuming you truly enjoy this field, and if you are willing to donate 14(ish) more years to grinding. This here takes no emotions into account and is just money, you do what you feel as though is right.

Pharmacists make usually around 6 figures or close to it but it depends on the area.

Forum Admin
3 minutes ago, Unkindled said:

Pharmacists make usually around 6 figures or close to it but it depends on the area.

Thats the number I used to find the 7 years figure, around 110k I believe.

Edited by Guac

🎀  𝙵𝚊𝚛𝚝 𝚂𝚖𝚎𝚕𝚕𝚊  🎀
<3

3 hours ago, Guac said:

3 hours ago, Fizzik said:

Don't most pharmacists make 6 figures?

2 hours ago, Unkindled said:

yeah pharmacists make about $110k in the retail setting.. if you move to hospital pharmacy then it’s like $150k+

I don’t know much about the pros and cons. I can offer you a piece of advice. Follow your heart! Cheesy, duh. Though, I’m sure you’re the only person who truly knows what you want to do! Procrastination is the worst. But what’s for you, won’t go by you. 

Good luck, Carvis!

• Agree 1

Some dude that's been in SO BDE more times than he can count.

At the end of the day, like Tino said, you have to do what makes you happy. I think you need to sit down and think to yourself what is it you actually want to do with the rest of your life? Now is the best time in your life to commit to a path and build a career that you will be proud of.

Can you see yourself being happy with and proud of working an hourly wage as a pharmacy tech or unskilled worker for the rest of your life (there's nothing wrong with this, but you have to make sure that this is what you want)? Are you interested in doing something in the medical field? Why? 

The calculations Guac put forward are interesting, but I think we need more information. Are you willing to go through 6 years of school? Are your academics and your story good enough to get you a scholarship at a Pharmacy school? Are you dead set on pharmacy, or would you also be fine with doing something else in medicine? What is your undergraduate degree. 

If you're interested in medicine, I'd strongly encourage you to think about applying to medical school to become a physician. I'm doing so this year, and while it is certainly a tough and stressful process, if you can get through the one big step of actually getting in, you'll be well on your way to a satisfactory career that brings with it a lot of fulfillment (through helping people) and economic stability (which it seems you are especially concerned with - as we all should be). 

If you aren't interested in medicine, I'd encourage you to look deeply at yourself and who you are and ask yourself what your passions are. Do you like fixing things? Do you like computers? Do you like being hands on or off? If you could have any job in the world, what would it be? Shoot to claim your dreams; you're young now and you'll only be young once in your life. Use this time wisely and set yourself up for success and happiness for the rest of your life. 

Last thing. I'm a huge proponent of higher education. It is becoming increasingly difficult to be competitive in today's job market because of the over-saturation of college-educated individuals entering the job market. If you want to make serious money, you have to do something to set yourself apart. That's why becoming a pharmacist takes 6 years, and becoming a doctor can take 10 to 15 years. Once you find what you're intersted in, find a way to make yourself more competitive than other people in your field. Go to graduate school or find a way to train yourself in an appealing and rare skill. Do what will make you proud later down the line. 

Sorry for the rant. That was all a bit long and disjointed. Moral of the story: find something that you enjoy doing and that you think will make you proud. Set yourself up for success and make yourself competitive in whatever field you want to go into. You're still young; use this time as efficiently as you can. Good luck!

Current: Nothing

Former: 212th Kenobi | 21st Mundi | 212th CPT Boil | Jaing Skirata | Kal Skirata REGL CMD Harsh Omega EOD Darman Grey RC CMD Harsh | Niner Ordo |

Honestly if you get payed good now I would keep going with it. But I only know my career 

Current: Rancor Colt
Past spots: 501st XO, 501st CMD, 501st WO Appo, TC Hardcase, 332nd office, ATK Reg Purge, Keller Unit Vinnie, General Luminara, 41st GCO ARCL Draa, 3rd Crosshair on the Server, Hunter, Sith Marauder  TRO, GMM, VA x3. CIS Tac Droid, Guild Cabinet Member

The person who made a treaty with the sith as a clone 

Can you see yourself working in a pharmacy for another 20-30 years? There's no point in making a lot of money if you are miserable 5 days a week. 

Also, If you aren't sure what career path you are interested in, community college is always the best option. You get to sample a lot of courses for a fraction of the price. Most CC's have a transfer program to a 4 year. Nobody cares where you went to school for the first two years, the only thing they look at is where you got your bachelors from. (assuming you go the 4 year route).

At the end of the day, just follow your heart, but don't make your hobby a job like Chambers said. 

• Agree 2

Battalion Commander Doom (Former)