New Laptop recommendations

I’ve had my current laptop for a good few years, but I think that because I’m going to college and this one is showing age, I feel like it’s time to get a new laptop. 

To preface, I have absolutely 0 knowledge about computers and I’m basically a braindead 5 year old when it comes to anything technology related. Thus I wanna ask y’all to see if there’s anyone that knows any good recommendations for a new laptop. I do want to stick with a laptop as I want to be able to take it places and be able to move it.

My budgets is at MAXIMUM 1000 USD, but I’d prefer something in the 800ish range. I still want to be able to play decent games (like GMOD, Valheim, Stardew, maybe CSGO?) but I don’t want it to be like crazy RGBs or look really stupid. 

TLDR: Looking for a new laptop (Must be a laptop, please I am going to college) in around the 800-900 dollar range that can run games but doesn’t look stupid. I’d appreciate any suggestions, links, etc. Thanks :)

Edited by TheCyan
Foxey can't read and needs extra clarification.
  • Friendly 1

I used to play this server for too many hours at a time.

• Winner 1

Former: 41st CaptainDelta-62 Scorch Null-05 Prudii Skirata CF-99 Echo CF-99 Crosshair 41st IC Tenn Alpha-98 Nate | Null-06 Kom'rk Skirata

Current: Crosshair

I'm definitely with Dinaric here, you spend $800-$1000 on a desktop and you'll be running a lot more than just source games and Valheim lol, you won't have to worry as much about external storages for bigger games either. You going to be moving back and forth between college and home a lot and need the ability to travel more easily? 

4 hours ago, TheCyan said:

I do want to stick with a laptop as I want to be able to take it places and be able to move it.

1 hour ago, Foxey said:

I'm definitely with Dinaric here, you spend $800-$1000 on a desktop and you'll be running a lot more than just source games and Valheim lol, you won't have to worry as much about external storages for bigger games either. You going to be moving back and forth between college and home a lot and need the ability to travel more easily? 

5 minutes ago, Ket said:

^^ Laptops are only good if you're a user on the go. Stick to desktops.

1 hour ago, Dinaric said:

So I have a good recommendation for you :)

Go to office depot, look for a really good desktop computer, I can show you which one I have. It runs 150 FPS on any game you want, and it’s arojnd 700-800$ 

Laptop is poopoo.

:)

He literally said he wants a laptop since he's going to college and needs to move around with it.

Edited by Neptune
  • Agree 1

Hi, I'm Neptune

winkwink- Tumblr posts - Tumbig.com

2 minutes ago, Neptune said:

He literally said he wants a laptop since he's going to college and needs to move around with it.

What kind of MORON writes a TL:DR and doesn't actually put all of the necessary information in it 

Just now, Foxey said:

What kind of MORON writes a TL:DR and doesn't actually put all of the necessary information in it 

You realize in the TLDR I wrote "LAPTOP"... dummy.

12 minutes ago, Dinaric said:

Well then get a chrome book for college ezpz

My issue is that the laptop I use for gaming currently is showing age very hard. Battery life is super low, the integrated camera is broken and some keys on the keyboard are like broken/have bad sensory input so I just want a totally new laptop.

19 minutes ago, Foxey said:

Okay I will admit I have made a grave mistake and for that I sincerely apologize.

Ok Jeff <3

Honestly don't even get anything marketed for Gaming. Lots of those products suck at other things that are essential. Other products can run games fine and also do the processes advertised. Gaming laptops can run games well but lack where the others excel.

If you're looking for a portable PC that isn't a laptop, you could build or buy a prebuilt small formfactor case that is super portable. Like a laptop but with the power of a PC. But for laptop, your best call is to go after things that aren't explicitly for gaming unless its from a reputable brand.

• Agree 1

Yes, I do hate fat people.
Former Ordo Skirata

a 1660 goes for $400 rn i would uhm, wait if u were going to get a desktop

A 1660 btw

Edited by Chew

Former: 41st CaptainDelta-62 Scorch Null-05 Prudii Skirata CF-99 Echo CF-99 Crosshair 41st IC Tenn Alpha-98 Nate | Null-06 Kom'rk Skirata

Current: Crosshair

2 hours ago, Eclipse said:

Honestly don't even get anything marketed for Gaming. Lots of those products suck at other things that are essential. Other products can run games fine and also do the processes advertised. Gaming laptops can run games well but lack where the others excel.

If you're looking for a portable PC that isn't a laptop, you could build or buy a prebuilt small formfactor case that is super portable. Like a laptop but with the power of a PC. But for laptop, your best call is to go after things that aren't explicitly for gaming unless its from a reputable brand.

Yeah that's a mini ITX Build

giphy.gif?cid=ecf05e47autk0ajbcj5rtkhc86

Former: Delta Pilot 42 | WO Appo | 501st 2ndLT ScarZ | Naval LT Patrick

1 hour ago, Canno_n said:

The Lenovo thinkpads are fantastic laptops, I think the p15 is going for around 1k base model

Actually have one right now, was really surprised for how good it actually is, not amazing over time though as with age it really starts to crack

Personally I enjoy my Windows Surface Pro 10, it is very light weight, and it's a 2 in 1 tablet, very good for me since I am in engineering, it can run all my programs and play some games at the same time, but I mostly use it for school.

Edited by Luther
  • Friendly 1

1. Don’t buy a laptop

2. if you have to buy a “gaming one” go to micro center look for open box ones online 

3. Find what you want, go in person and buy it they work on commission, buy the protection plan it’s actually good. 

4. be happy with purchase, I can dm you some later. 

• Friendly 1

Current: Kevin Colt leader of the Colt Crime Syndicate | Alpha-69 Dennis 

Former: BCMD Doom x3| Havoc Squad Brimstone x3 | Base Ops CMD | Delta Jedi | BCMD Colt | BCMD Bacara | Specialized Regimental Commander x2 | First Count Dooku and creator of the CIS | Rear Admiral Orson Krennic 

The people saying get a PC don't understand why he needs a Laptop for college.

He wants to take it around with him for school work, as well as use it for gaming.

Also laptops aren't poopoo anymore, I've been playing on a laptop for the last 7 years  just get a laptop with a decent graphics card and ram.

I'd recommend looking on Ebay, i got mine on there for  £600 (less than $800 back then) which has 8gb of ram and 1040 4gb graphics card and an I5 processor and an SSD and 1TB hard drive. I got this in 2017 and I am still using.

I plan on upgrading but only cos I have the space and money for a PC and dont need to take it into uni.

My friend got one with an on the cheap, the only downside he has is memory as it only had a 500gb SSD, but it has a 2040ti and 16gb.

• Agree 1

What? Were you expecting some colourful thing denoting my past achievements?

Well tough luck, even if I did it would be just 3 things - Bacara, SPEC REG, Old HA.

Once a Marine, Always a Marine... Always forward, never back...