Any PC upgrades I should get?

Neptune

hi, I built my computer like 2 years ago and looking for upgrades. What should I get and or focus on?

My current build is the following

Ryzen 5 1600

Ballistix Sport 3000mhz 16bg RAM

EVGA GTX 1070 SC

Some fucking 650 watt bronze psu I got from micro center

B450M DS3H motherboard

Coolermaster Q300L MicroATX

Any recommendations would be nice! 

Hi, I'm Neptune

winkwink- Tumblr posts - Tumbig.com

33 minutes ago, Neptune said:

Hey don’t diss on my company’s products I’ll square on up on you, also what games are you looking to play! That’s gonna be a huge factor of what you need.

Current: Kevin Colt leader of the Colt Crime Syndicate | Alpha-69 Dennis 

Former: BCMD Doom x3| Havoc Squad Brimstone x3 | Base Ops CMD | Delta Jedi | BCMD Colt | BCMD Bacara | Specialized Regimental Commander x2 | First Count Dooku and creator of the CIS | Rear Admiral Orson Krennic 

34 minutes ago, Dennis said:

Hey don’t diss on my company’s products I’ll square on up on you, also what games are you looking to play! That’s gonna be a huge factor of what you need.

Probably games that require stuff like the newer call of duties but I also draw a lot so that takes a bit of my CPU  so I was planning on upgrading that at least but didn't really know what else so I wanted some advice. Also...square up bro :monkaGun:

Hi, I'm Neptune

18 minutes ago, Neptune said:

probably max I can do is 300

If you want to spend around $300 an AMD Ryzen 7 1700x is a good upgrade.
A Ryzen 5 3600 is also a very good choice and is around $200
The ryzen 5 will give you more clock speed but less cores than the 7.

:NekoDance::NekoDance::NekoDance::NekoDance::NekoDance::NekoDance::NekoDance::NekoDance::NekoDance::NekoDance::NekoDance::NekoDance::NekoDance::NekoDance::NekoDance::NekoDance::NekoDance::NekoDance::NekoDance:

17 minutes ago, Mitchell said:

If you want to spend around $300 an AMD Ryzen 7 1700x is a good upgrade.
A Ryzen 5 3600 is also a very good choice and is around $200
The ryzen 5 will give you more clock speed but less cores than the 7.

Might go for the 3600 then 

Hi, I'm Neptune

Honestly I’d wait tbh if your only playing gmod and doing some drawing stuff I’d wait save your money. You didn’t hear this from me but ryzen is gonna drop a new chip set soon and nvidia is coming out with new cards too. Id say find a nice motherboard with good future ability and see if you can snag some of the “old” stuff when the new ones drop. Intel will most likely drop a new chip in response to ryzen not allowing them to uncontested launches. 

• Agree 1

Current: Kevin Colt leader of the Colt Crime Syndicate | Alpha-69 Dennis 

Former: BCMD Doom x3| Havoc Squad Brimstone x3 | Base Ops CMD | Delta Jedi | BCMD Colt | BCMD Bacara | Specialized Regimental Commander x2 | First Count Dooku and creator of the CIS | Rear Admiral Orson Krennic 

32 minutes ago, Dennis said:

Honestly I’d wait tbh if your only playing gmod and doing some drawing stuff I’d wait save your money. You didn’t hear this from me but ryzen is gonna drop a new chip set soon and nvidia is coming out with new cards too. Id say find a nice motherboard with good future ability and see if you can snag some of the “old” stuff when the new ones drop. Intel will most likely drop a new chip in response to ryzen not allowing them to uncontested launches. 

Ye the 3080TI is coming along with some other goodies.

Keep an eye on chipsets, you may get a ryzen 7 for really cheap if new chipsets are coming.

:NekoDance::NekoDance::NekoDance::NekoDance::NekoDance::NekoDance::NekoDance::NekoDance::NekoDance::NekoDance::NekoDance::NekoDance::NekoDance::NekoDance::NekoDance::NekoDance::NekoDance::NekoDance::NekoDance:

Ryzen 9 3900x is what I got got it for I believe 400 while an I9 was more expensive but depending on what you do more between drawing and gaming For drawing you will most likely need an Intel processor while the AMD series Processors are better for gaming. Now for GPUs I wouldnt bother getting a 3000 series unless its a 3090. Reason being is most of those cards are only a very very very small percentage better than the 2000 series. I would settle on a 2080 Super because getting a 3080 basically the same as a 2080 Super. It would be easier to get the 2000 series as well

1 hour ago, Wheezy said:

Ryzen 9 3900x is what I got got it for I believe 400 while an I9 was more expensive but depending on what you do more between drawing and gaming For drawing you will most likely need an Intel processor while the AMD series Processors are better for gaming. Now for GPUs I wouldnt bother getting a 3000 series unless its a 3090. Reason being is most of those cards are only a very very very small percentage better than the 2000 series. I would settle on a 2080 Super because getting a 3080 basically the same as a 2080 Super. It would be easier to get the 2000 series as well

bro im on a budget

• Funny 1

Hi, I'm Neptune

19 hours ago, Neptune said:

hi, I built my computer like 2 years ago and looking for upgrades. What should I get and or focus on?

My current build is the following

Ryzen 5 1600

Ballistix Sport 3000mhz 16bg RAM

EVGA GTX 1070 SC

B450M DS3H motherboard

Coolermaster Q300L MicroATX

Any recommendations would be nice! 

I work in IT as a Level 2 Desktop Support Engineer, this is kind of what my job basically is. I don't claim to know everything, not too in-depth with the current gaming part industry, but I know some stuff that can help.

In priority:

0: COMPATIBILITY. DON'T GET I9 CPU WITH 3060 NVIDIA TO FIND THEY AREN'T COMPATIBLE WITH YOUR MOTHERBOARD OR CASE! Always double check. Do your research. An easy way is building on pcpartpicker.com , though still make sure everything works with each other (chipset, PCI slots, size, screw slots, etc.)

1. Upgrade GPU first - that's your biggest bottleneck atm. Sadly the market is beyond messed up prices wise (inflation/high demand with low supply/COVID economy impact). Right now is actually the worst time to build/upgrade. I'd highly recommend you wait until Oct - Dec 2021 for sales/supply to come back up. Black Friday/Cyber Monday is key for bang for your buck. I can't give any exact recommendations as Ryzen/Nvidia might come out with new stuff by then. Depending on your budget, I'd look at RTX 2060 or Radeon 5600XT (Sapphire Pulse if you can get that). They're in the ~$300-400 range atm, but once prices drop (especially during sales) you should be looking at a big upgrade for just ~$200 in a years time.

2. Ryze 5 is good, but the 1600 series is low benchmarks at this point. Highly recommend the Ryzen 5 5600x, beautiful CPU. Though like I said, there might be something new or a big price drop with something that changes that. Just wait.

3. Upgrade that PSU to around 750-800. Gold proficiency if you can. With higher tier parts, you need more power - always best to be over than under. Corsair is good. STAY AWAY FROM SEASONIC.

4. You'll eventually want to upgrade the motherboard, especially if you're getting anything like the 3060 Nvidia series or higher. Any of the new stuff out right now. Something like a B550 Mobo.

5. 16GB RAM is still good, you really don't need anymore unless you're planning to do some studio editting or streaming with max quality. Tbh you can keep the RAM, but eventually you'll be looking out for the DDR4/DDR5 3200+ stuff.

6. You'll probably need to find a Mid-tower case to fit your parts + better airflow. Most cases are fine, just take into account the fans that come with the case and the airflow of them. As well, of course, compatibility with your parts.

7. Take storage into consideration. You're going to need more space. SSD is king over HDD, though HDD is cheaper storage. SSD will eventually take over, just so many more benefits. You can probably chill on 1TB SSD storage np depending on what you're doing. You can go for a drive, or you can go for M.2/NVMe slots. They can be a bit more expensive, especially NVMe SSDs, but they'll give you slightly better performance and some small benefits. I'd go with a drive because I'm old fashion, though all the current PC builders swear by M.2/NVMe now.

tl;dr - WAIT FOR PRICES TO DROP / BETTER PARTS TO COME OUT. GPU > CPU > PSU > MOBO > CASE > STORAGE (SSDs are a must - at least for you boot drive / important files - less risk of losing!) > RAM (you already have 16GB 3000, really don't need new ones for awhile).

HMU if you want to know anymore.

Edited by Jagger
Edit

"If you have time to think of a beautiful end, then live beautifully until the end." 

"A hero need not speak. For when he is gone, the world will speak for him." 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kZTMETl7Ga0&list=PL5Og0VYg8k2TnPDvarJa9Ijipx7W0Or0x

Jagger's comment is super in-depth and really good advice. I personally don't know too much about computers, but from my own personal experience with my PC, please make sure you go with some kind of internal SSD. 

I have had my PC for around 2 years now, and my biggest regret was not buying and putting in an SSD from the start. Boot times are incredibly long now (the sign in page loads up after around 10 seconds, but my disk is at 100% for at least 5 - 7 minutes upon signing in to windows, meaning I can't do anything on the PC. Anything.).

An SSD is a huge quality of life difference and if you can spare the money for one just to put your OS on, it could really make your daily life a lot better imo!

• Agree 1

Current: Nothing

Former: 212th Kenobi | 21st Mundi | 212th CPT Boil | Jaing Skirata | Kal Skirata REGL CMD Harsh Omega EOD Darman Grey RC CMD Harsh | Niner Ordo |

23 minutes ago, Harsh said:

Jagger's comment is super in-depth and really good advice. I personally don't know too much about computers, but from my own personal experience with my PC, please make sure you go with some kind of internal SSD. 

I have had my PC for around 2 years now, and my biggest regret was not buying and putting in an SSD from the start. Boot times are incredibly long now (the sign in page loads up after around 10 seconds, but my disk is at 100% for at least 5 - 7 minutes upon signing in to windows, meaning I can't do anything on the PC. Anything.).

An SSD is a huge quality of life difference and if you can spare the money for one just to put your OS on, it could really make your daily life a lot better imo!

My man. Long time no see, hope all is well.

I want to piggyback off Harsh as well - SSDs can even be a life saver. HDDs use read-write arms written on disc platters to store information. Since you have moving parts, they can break. SSDs instead use microchips to store files. The read/write/recall functions are much faster since it's already on a chip - no moving parts. Faster performance. The most important detail: no moving parts. You can drop it and it'll probably be fine. If your computer dies and your storage is shot with ESD, surge, or breaks, SSDs have a better chance/easier time with data recovery compared to HDD. If the HDD breaks, you pretty much lost everything there. With SSD, there's still a chance. I am speaking from personal experience, SSDs saved my behind.

• Agree 1
  • Friendly 1

"If you have time to think of a beautiful end, then live beautifully until the end." 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kZTMETl7Ga0&list=PL5Og0VYg8k2TnPDvarJa9Ijipx7W0Or0x

I just got a Ryzen 7 3700x for 299. I would say I got a good deal on it. 

14 hours ago, Jagger said:

: COMPATIBILITY. DON'T GET I9 CPU WITH 3060 NVIDIA TO FIND THEY AREN'T COMPATIBLE WITH YOUR MOTHERBOARD OR CASE! Always double check. Do your research. An easy way is building on pcpartpicker.com , though still make sure everything works with each other (chipset, PCI slots, size, screw slots, etc.)

How'd you manage to do that? Nice

@Jagger

Is right for the most part. You don't need to upgrade your PSU yet though, I'm running an 80+ gold at 650w and it's killing it, got a 5700 XT and 3700X. Don't know why he'd tell you to stay away from Seasonic though seeing as how they make some of the most reliable PSUs in the industry. Always go Seasonic if you can afford it.

Rule-maker and rule-breaker.

22 hours ago, Cubby said:

I just got a Ryzen 7 3700x for 299. I would say I got a good deal on it. 

How'd you manage to do that? Nice

I didn't do that, but I've seen people make that mistake.

36 minutes ago, Fizzik said:

@Jagger

Is right for the most part. You don't need to upgrade your PSU yet though, I'm running an 80+ gold at 650w and it's killing it, got a 5700 XT and 3700X. Don't know why he'd tell you to stay away from Seasonic though seeing as how they make some of the most reliable PSUs in the industry. Always go Seasonic if you can afford it.

That's why the PSU upgrade is lower on the list, though you want more power with higher tier parts. It also serves as a good upgrade path as any new parts you get won't need an upgrade in PSU to meet power standards.

I have a bit of a story with Seasonic.

Friend of mine was building a computer. I was over his place and we powered the PSU alone as a way to check it out. It's fine for awhile, then a pop and a boom. Thing blew up. SeaSonic was nice enough to get us a replacement, though the PSU made some weird sounds and we didn't want to risk it. We got a Corsair PSU, no issues.

I could have had just a really bad experience with SeaSonic, but I've never heard of anyone who buys Seasonic or uses them. Most people I've spoken to would rather get most things over a Seasonic.

Btw, 80+ gold at 650w, got a 5700 XT and 3700X is legit. Good build there. Though the reason why I mentioned an upgrade is that he has a bronze efficiency while you have a gold, it does make a difference. But like I mentioned before, the PSU is one of the things to wait out on.

1 hour ago, Jagger said:

That's why the PSU upgrade is lower on the list, though you want more power with higher tier parts. It also serves as a good upgrade path as any new parts you get won't need an upgrade in PSU to meet power standards.

I have a bit of a story with Seasonic.

Friend of mine was building a computer. I was over his place and we powered the PSU alone as a way to check it out. It's fine for awhile, then a pop and a boom. Thing blew up. SeaSonic was nice enough to get us a replacement, though the PSU made some weird sounds and we didn't want to risk it. We got a Corsair PSU, no issues.

I could have had just a really bad experience with SeaSonic, but I've never heard of anyone who buys Seasonic or uses them. Most people I've spoken to would rather get most things over a Seasonic.

Btw, 80+ gold at 650w, got a 5700 XT and 3700X is legit. Good build there. Though the reason why I mentioned an upgrade is that he has a bronze efficiency while you have a gold, it does make a difference. But like I mentioned before, the PSU is one of the things to wait out on.

Yeah man idk, seems like just a one-off thing. I used an 11 year old Seasonic PSU and it was awesome. It never died, I had to replace it because of the 5700 XT as it didn't have the PCI-E power necessary. BTW you know that most of Corsair's PSUs are made by seasonic?

On 1/11/2021 at 6:40 PM, Jagger said:

I work in IT as a Level 2 Desktop Support Engineer, this is kind of what my job basically is. I don't claim to know everything, not too in-depth with the current gaming part industry, but I know some stuff that can help.

In priority:

0: COMPATIBILITY. DON'T GET I9 CPU WITH 3060 NVIDIA TO FIND THEY AREN'T COMPATIBLE WITH YOUR MOTHERBOARD OR CASE! Always double check. Do your research. An easy way is building on pcpartpicker.com , though still make sure everything works with each other (chipset, PCI slots, size, screw slots, etc.)

1. Upgrade GPU first - that's your biggest bottleneck atm. Sadly the market is beyond messed up prices wise (inflation/high demand with low supply/COVID economy impact). Right now is actually the worst time to build/upgrade. I'd highly recommend you wait until Oct - Dec 2021 for sales/supply to come back up. Black Friday/Cyber Monday is key for bang for your buck. I can't give any exact recommendations as Ryzen/Nvidia might come out with new stuff by then. Depending on your budget, I'd look at RTX 2060 or Radeon 5600XT (Sapphire Pulse if you can get that). They're in the ~$300-400 range atm, but once prices drop (especially during sales) you should be looking at a big upgrade for just ~$200 in a years time.

2. Ryze 5 is good, but the 1600 series is low benchmarks at this point. Highly recommend the Ryzen 5 5600x, beautiful CPU. Though like I said, there might be something new or a big price drop with something that changes that. Just wait.

3. Upgrade that PSU to around 750-800. Gold proficiency if you can. With higher tier parts, you need more power - always best to be over than under. Corsair is good. STAY AWAY FROM SEASONIC.

4. You'll eventually want to upgrade the motherboard, especially if you're getting anything like the 3060 Nvidia series or higher. Any of the new stuff out right now. Something like a B550 Mobo.

5. 16GB RAM is still good, you really don't need anymore unless you're planning to do some studio editting or streaming with max quality. Tbh you can keep the RAM, but eventually you'll be looking out for the DDR4/DDR5 3200+ stuff.

6. You'll probably need to find a Mid-tower case to fit your parts + better airflow. Most cases are fine, just take into account the fans that come with the case and the airflow of them. As well, of course, compatibility with your parts.

7. Take storage into consideration. You're going to need more space. SSD is king over HDD, though HDD is cheaper storage. SSD will eventually take over, just so many more benefits. You can probably chill on 1TB SSD storage np depending on what you're doing. You can go for a drive, or you can go for M.2/NVMe slots. They can be a bit more expensive, especially NVMe SSDs, but they'll give you slightly better performance and some small benefits. I'd go with a drive because I'm old fashion, though all the current PC builders swear by M.2/NVMe now.

tl;dr - WAIT FOR PRICES TO DROP / BETTER PARTS TO COME OUT. GPU > CPU > PSU > MOBO > CASE > STORAGE (SSDs are a must - at least for you boot drive / important files - less risk of losing!) > RAM (you already have 16GB 3000, really don't need new ones for awhile).

HMU if you want to know anymore.

Seasonic is a Tier 1 PSU, granted I use EVGA SuperNova. You really don't need more than 600 on the PSU unless you are running more than one GPU. His MOBO would be good with a 5600x as long as the BIOS is the latest version before he installs the CPU.

3 hours ago, Pyle said:

Seasonic is a Tier 1 PSU, granted I use EVGA SuperNova. You really don't need more than 600 on the PSU unless you are running more than one GPU. His MOBO would be good with a 5600x as long as the BIOS is the latest version before he installs the CPU.

Some supernovas are made by Seasonic too 😂

23 hours ago, Fizzik said:

Yeah man idk, seems like just a one-off thing. I used an 11 year old Seasonic PSU and it was awesome. It never died, I had to replace it because of the 5700 XT as it didn't have the PCI-E power necessary. BTW you know that most of Corsair's PSUs are made by seasonic?

Amen, then I'll chalk it up to the 'one-in-a-million' happening. Still cautious about it, I'll still recommend people Corsair and whatnot if applicable.

Your PSU has been going for 11 years? That's awesome. I wish for that longevity with my parts. Have you cleaned out the dust or anything? Any kind of maintenance?

Edited by Jagger
Edit

21 hours ago, Pyle said:

He doesn't, but like I said it'll help future-proof his build so he won't need to get a new one anytime soon. As new parts come out, they'll naturally be needing more and more power (not much, but still). As a rule of thumb, you want at least double power than what's needed. So you're using half capacity of your PSU. Sounds like a waste, but it saves you some headache. Higher watt PSUs also tend to come with features like modularity and fan operations.

Yup, important to update BIOS before install. It'll be good with a 5600x before he installs the CPU. Had a friend who didn't do that, had to re-flash his BIOS and mess around with drivers. Headache. Though like I mentioned, my recommendations were made on the account he'll want to keep the build with an upgrade path for the next 5-10 years.

1 hour ago, Jagger said:

Amen, then I'll chalk it up to the 'one-in-a-million' happening. Still cautious about it, I'll still recommend people Corsair and whatnot if applicable.

Your PSU has been going for 11 years? That's awesome. I wish for that longevity with my parts. Have you cleaned out the dust or anything? Any kind of maintenance?

Besides regular cleaning nope. Just that Seasonic reliability bro. It's the Toyota of PSUs but sometimes you'll find someone who had a shit experience with their Toyota.

8 hours ago, Fizzik said:

Besides regular cleaning nope. Just that Seasonic reliability bro. It's the Toyota of PSUs but sometimes you'll find someone who had a shit experience with their Toyota.

You're gonna break my sense of reality. I work on a lot of computer builds, I might give it a go for my next build. Here's to it's the Toyota of PSUs. My car has been doing well and hanging in there for the last 6 years (2005 car, still kicking in 2021!). Hope your word holds true, the best way to find out is through experience.

• Winner 1

What @Jagger said.    I'm also an IT guy.

Newer CPUs are nice but with how things are right now,  GPU stock is more empty than ever.     You are gonna find some overpriced shit if you get a second-hand but not much you can do about it.  
Get an SSD for your OS.   I have an older SSD but it takes like 5 seconds to boot to windows.
PSU wise -  Corsair or EVGA.    DO NOT BUY ANY OFFBRAND TRASH.     

Also if you want to upgrade case fans:  noctua if your not a fan of RGB.   They are butt ugly,  but they are best in market for airflow wise.

Edited by Zensras
  • Agree 1

spacer.png
Every time I wander into an argument on the forums.